MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/29/2010 07:24 PM

hello

kibbie

hello to everyone. I have had fibromyalgia for a number of years , and havecoped on and off. People have little knowledge of this. And it seems only other people with fibro can understand. Even GPs dont understand. I have beencaring 24/7 for my chronically ill husband and that has made things much worsefor my health all over . We have no family. Friends have left in droves. I cannot work because of my health and his health, each day is a struggle. Any coping strategies would be appreciated. I feel so very aloneSick

06/29/2010 07:31 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You have come to THE perfect place! We can all relate and totally understand what you are going through, you are not alone in this at all. Please keep posting we are all here for you. Hugs, Stacey Wink

06/30/2010 05:21 AM
PCG
PCG  

Welcome, I'm new here as well and I can already see this place is great, you'll never be out of friends here Smile

Hang in there, take a good look at even the tiniest things in life that give you pleasure, treasure them, those are the things to give you fuel on the darkest hours. No matter how bad things are, you always have the chance to make things better or wrose by the way you see them and face them Smile

06/30/2010 10:01 AM
LoriD

Welcome kibbie! I'm sorry for all you are going through. We are here for you!!

07/02/2010 05:57 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to the family kibbie! So glad to meet you, but sorry you need us. You've found the best people on Earth here.

Coping skills, let's see. Learn to meditate, or use relaxation tapes and set a routine, as best you can. I like to soak in a hot bath with epsom salts every night. Epsom salts are mostly magnesium in a highly-absorbable form, so they go through your skin easily and help muscle pain. Get a memory foam mattress topper (around $200 at Walmart), they are lifesavers for people suffering from pain. And learn to pace yourself. Of course, caring for your husband is an added burden, so it may be hard to relax and set a routine. Just pace yourself!

07/02/2010 08:50 PM
paige2000

Welcome. I know this may sound totally nuts, but something I have been doing that helps me not feel alone is watch and/or listen to home shopping shows. Ha, ha! I like hearing the people talk, and it is totally mindless. Reading is also a great escape if you can manage it. I know being a caregiver can be very taxing. You may want to see if there is a support group in your area. I know of organizations that provide telephone support groups for caregivers so you don't have to leave your home. Best, Paige

07/02/2010 09:50 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Paige, I watch QVC or HSN if there's nothing else on I want to see...audible wallpaper LOL.

Kibbie, welcome to the group. Like the others said, this is the best place on the web for kind, supportive people who have an idea how you feel.

I also recommend that you find a support group for caretakers. Here's one:

http://www.mdjunction.com/caregivers

I doubt they're as active as we are but I'm sure you'll be welcomed.

Try to do something for yourself everyday, like gentle stretches, walks, meditation etc. Fibromyalgia thrives on stress. You need to find some way to relax as often as you can, even if it's just deep breathing.

Oh and welcome to this group!

newbie hugs,

07/04/2010 12:49 AM
kibbie

thank you to everyonefor the warm welcomeTongue I am a part of a carers support group whichhelps alot and I relax by listening to music or reading. thanks guysGrin

07/04/2010 01:18 AM
poppyflower

Hello kibbie and a very warm welcome to you,

Sound like you have lots going on to cope with, Trashy tv always works for me, something far away from real life that you can just lose yourself in, even if its for only half an hour !

Its a shame you dont have family or friends to support you, i think most of us on here know how friends can drift away...

You will always have friends here

Smile

Hugs x

07/04/2010 06:46 AM
oregonnative
oregonnative  
VIP Member

Welcome Kibbie. Smile One thing for sure, you'll never be alone again. Not when you are a part of this wonderful huge family. I know it's not the same as having friends right there, but on the other hand, you won't have to worry if the house is neat enough. Laughing

I'm sorry about your hubby being so ill, I know it isn't easy when you are hurting and exhausted too.

I too like to read, and can get lost in the story for awhile. Like taking a trip without having to get dressed!

Take care of you too.

Karen

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved