MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/03/2010 07:58 PM

22 yr. old daughter with FM

samdenrob

I am the mother of a 22 year old who was recently diagnosed with FM. My husband and I, not to mention my daughter, are very frustrated. Her doctor just wants to use narcotics to medicate...She does not have much of a life anymore...can anyone help with words of wisdom??? anything really please

Post edited by: samdenrob, at: 05/03/2010 08:02 PM

05/03/2010 08:04 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to the group, it is very supportive here. I am sorry she is suffering, we can all relate here. Would she like to join so she can see she is not alone, it is very comforting and there are a ton of topics that get covered and she can ask questions and learn alot. You yourself can also learn alot here as well and there is also a group for family members too where you can peek into. I will provide you the link. Wink

http://www.mdjunction.com/fibromyalgia-in-the-family

05/03/2010 08:07 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

These are some letters we give to family members and loved ones who are not being supportive, you sound very supportive the opposite which is excellent. The letters I think would still be great for you to read to better understand your daughter and how she is feeling in words that are sometimes hard for us to say. Wink

http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/fibromyalgia-discussions/ fibro-and-family/1320368-letters-to-family-friends-links

05/03/2010 08:18 PM
samdenrob

Thank so much for your response...I will mention joining to her. She might if she can stay awake (meds) long enough..

05/03/2010 09:03 PM
Lynnette1212
Lynnette1212  

It also might be wise to find a new dr., one that understands fibro a bit better. There are medicines out there that are not narcotics that help with the pain. Unfortunately, it's trial and error until you find the right cocktail that works for her. It doesn't sound like this dr. is to into taking his time to help your daughter and is blowing her off. keep us posted.

05/03/2010 10:08 PM
tracy912

I hope you can get some answers. I will tell you that for me, moving around is important, "exercising" is helpful. We each have our own definition of that tho. Smile I went to a lupus self help group and they said to make sure we are only using the bed for sleep at night. it is too easy to stay it in all day and thus getting worse. Talk to her doctor about adding an antidepressant. I use Celexa as it was created for chronic pain. Good luck.

05/04/2010 02:09 PM
samdenrob

She is also taking an anti depressant...Terazodone (sp) also some thing for anxiety...can't keep up with all the meds. She semms irritated all the time. Stays in bed alot. She does talk about exercising.. I guess she just can't make herself do it. She gets numbness in her hips and legs and swelling in her legs ankles and feet. I agree about getting a new doctor...she also talks about doing that.. Thanks for the support

05/04/2010 02:30 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. As frustrated as you are with her doctor, I think the fact that he's willing to prescribe narcotics is actually a plus. So many of us find that anything less really won't address the pain.

With that said, the best suggestion that I can offer, and you might have a chance at because the doctor does prescribe narcotics, is to try suboxone. It is working for a small group of us- those of us who have been able to get it from doctors to begin with.

You only have to take a very small dose of it. I've been on it for a year and I've been pain free since the first dose. I'm slowly but surely getting my life back. You have to understand that having fibro really destroys the body and it has to build itself back up.

If you're interested in more info about it, we have a group just for fibro and suboxone. You're more than welcome to join us there, too Smile

http://www.mdjunction.com/fibromyalgia-suboxone

Newbie hugs!

05/04/2010 02:32 PM
RedGirl

My young daughter had a negative reaction to a medication she was given for fibromyalgia. That was amitriptyline. She became manic and horrible and hateful while she was on that. I realized pretty quickly what was going on and she and I went to her doc to have her medicine changed. If you daughter has become more irritable since she started taking meds, it could be a side effect of one of those and it may need to be changed.

I hope she soon finds something that works for her!

Red

05/04/2010 03:04 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

I took Trazodone for sleep when I was first dx'd but it didn't do anything for me. I would suggest that you ask for Cymbalta for your daughter. It seems to do the most good with the least amount of side effects for MOST of us....fibromytes are weird so what works for most of us will cause horrible reactions in another.

The tiredness is part of fibro, but with her feeling irritable too, I'm just guessing that she's depressed. Cymbalta works well for depression and I've gone into remission from the pain of fibro while taking nothing but Cymbalta for pain.

I'm surprised her doc is giving her painkillers. I can't get them from any of the 3 doctors who have treated me for fibro. But now I'm on Cymbalta and Neurontin and it takes care of most but not all of my pain.

Try to get her interested in walking with you, but start very slow and don't go far. We tend to be exercise-intolerant. When I was first dx'd I started walking with a colleague who treated ever walk like a race...I got shin splints that hurt for months. Start with a 5 minute stroll to mail a letter and work up from there.

Yoga is also a good exercise for us, as long as we have someone who knows what they're doing to teach us. The combination of gentle stretching, mindful breathing & meditation can work wonders, again if we don't start out too fast.

If they haven't already done it, they should check and see if she's Vitamin D deficient. A lot of North Americans are, even when we drink milk, take supplements and spend a bit of time in the sun.

Magnesium can help with the muscle pain. I take a supplement that contains calcium, magnesium & vitamin D, plus another 2000 ius of D3. Epsom salts are mostly magnesium and she adds some to her bathwater her skin will absorb some of it and it really does help with muscle aches.

Good luck. I'm really sorry to hear this has struck your daughter at such a young age, but there is life after diagnosis.

gentle hugs,

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved