MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/21/2010 10:59 AM

hi, i'm new to group and fibro

pam888jenk
pam888jenk  

i am 28 years old and i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia by my rheumatologist about 2 months ago after seeing her for a year and taking every test in the book to come up with a reason for the pain in my left arm, wrist and hand. she finally started pushing on those "trigger points" and i almost jumped out of my chair. now i am taking lyrica and cymbalta. she also gave me some tramadol (ultram) after my pain persisted. she sent me to a chiropractor for microfascial release therapy but that just put me in even more pain. has anyone tried that?

also, it seems like the pain comes and goes like spells. does stress or something trigger an attack? i'm currently in the middle of one such attack. my pain also seems to move around but it mainly in my shoulder/neck area, my right arm and my lower back. it almost feels like a deep ache sometimes and burning pain other times. some days i can't wear my jewelry because i can't stand anything touching me. it's very odd.

the problem that i'm having is that no one seems to believe me when i tell them i have fibromyalgia. they all kind of scoff and say something like "yeah, everyone does". most of the time i keep my pain to myself for this reason because it makes me feel like i'm imagining it or making it worse than it is in my head. i'm sure you all have felt the same way.

anyway, that was a long into but i haven't really had anyone to talk to about it. i'm glad i found this group. thanks and nice to meet you all!

04/21/2010 11:20 AM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to the family! First of all, know that you are no longer alone. We've all been where you're at, some of us are still there, and we completely understand what you're going through. Yes, most people will scoff at the term "fibromyalgia"; my husband even said, after my initial dx, "isn't that something old people get?" (I'm 34 years old!). I usually tell people I have a malfunction of the central nervous system that amplifies signals sent from the nerve endings to the brain, and they seem to understand that better.

I hope the Lyrica and Cymbalta will help you. Lyrica helped me, but it was expensive on my insurance and caused a lot of side effects I didn't need, so I've switched to Neurontin now, a close cousin. I also take Tramadol. Are you sleeping well enough? If not, ask your rheumy for something to help you sleep. Without sleep, our body tissues don't heal properly and that leads to more pain. And you're absolutely correct, stress triggers "flare-ups" in our condition, so avoiding stress and learning how to relax may help as well.

I know you will love it here, and you will find friends for a lifetime here, fibro friends I call them. If you need help navigating the site, feel free to send me a private message (look under my name) and I'll do whatever I can to help you out!

04/21/2010 11:24 AM
faerie
faerie  

Welcome!

Gentle hugs

Faerie M Fibro   come find a friend

04/21/2010 12:48 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Welcome to the family Smile

Your story sounds sound much like many or ours, it's scary. Don't let anyone make you second guess yourself or your symptoms. People just don't get it cause they can't see it. Have you gotten the, you look fine,statement yet? If not, you will. At least you have all of us now and we know your pain and we can be here to help you through the tough times. There is nothing like chatting with others who know exactly what you are going through. Family and friends not understanding?? Maybe they need a little time or some information. There is plenty on this site you could print for them to read, they could even join the group for family members. Has anyone ever gone to an appt. with you? That might help too so they can ask the doc questions and here the words for themselves.

Most of the time, everyday is going to be different for you, you just never know how you're going to feel Sad

Stress is bad, bad, bad!!!!!! It sounds like you could be in a flare right now, some last just a few days, others it could be months. A few of us never come out of a flare, we just learn our limits and stay in bed alot when the flare gets to bad.

I hope everything works out for you and that your pain gets better. Just remember, we're here, we get it and we want to help Smile

04/21/2010 07:14 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome Fibro Pink

04/21/2010 07:40 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Pam,

Welcome to our group ~~~ You ll love it here as there are so many new caring and supportive friends just waiting for you . Smile

Stress is very bad for Fibro so you ll want to learn to curb any stressful situations as well as you can. Also, (at least for me), getting over-tired is terrible and will bring on a flare . Sleep is such a major essential to those of us with Fibro.

I could almost be the one writing your post as everything you write describes me to a ""t"" ~~~ I can especially relate to your shoulder/neck pain. When all the pain in other various areas of my body is at its' least (2), I can always count on my neck hurting (8-10). My Rhuemy prescribed Voltaren Gel and it does help an awful lot.

I have a terrible time wearing my lanyard/name tag at work everyday because I can hardly stand even that little pressure on the base of my neck and across my shoulders. (Sometimes, I ll cheat and carry it in my pocket. Wink )

Please feel free to talk to any of us anytime (or PMs also). You are not alone anymore ~~~

Marilyn

04/23/2010 05:14 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Welcome, Pam!

Ditto on the stress; that and lack of sleep are two of the biggest triggers for fibro pain. How are you sleeping? We have lots of tips and suggestions for helping to get a good night's sleep; let us know if you'd like to hear some.

Nice to meet you; see you in the posts!

04/23/2010 06:31 PM
Natalia5150
Natalia5150  
VIP Member

Welcome Pam;

Yes Stress does have a lot to do with how bad we hurt at any given time. So you should look at your stress levels and analyze them....I have documented elsewhere about this and you'll stumble over it in your reading.

usually I end up writing a novel in an intro and I really have to learn to be shorter winded! Tongue

Welcome, I am glad that you have an answer to why you have those odd pains that make no sense

I am very very sorry you are suffering, and hope we can help a little.

At any rate, welcome to the fibrofamily. we understand, we wont scoff ever, We are the Kins and Queens of weird symptoms after all!

Hugs and happy reading and life will get better!!!

hugs

Natty[b]

04/23/2010 07:21 PM
Lynnette1212
Lynnette1212  

Welcome to the fibro family. Glad you found us.

I'm sorry you are hurting, but yes, everything you mention is in fact, FIBRO. Isn't it lovely? NOT

A lot of us keep the fibro word to ourselves because of others comments. It takes education, if you're up for that. If not you can just lay low. Naddya mentioned a good idea of just explaining it to people. It's very hard though. It sounds like you need additional pain medicine for the break thru pain. Is this an option? Hope you like it here and stick around for a while.

Lynnette

04/25/2010 09:48 AM
pam888jenk
pam888jenk  

Thanks for the advice and concern guys, I really appreciate it. It's nice to know that I am not alone.

To answer some of your questions, I was not sleeping well but it's much better now. I still need a nap if I can get one in (which is rarely) and I usually wake up once a night but I know my quality of sleep is better because I am not dead tired during the day anymore. I've been doing a lot of research on fibro and have learned a lot in the last couple months. I like to be as educated as I can about what's going on with my body. Taking narcotic pain killers or sleep aids is not going to happen for me. I have a history of addiction to pills in my immediate family and I am not going to go there. I work full time, go to school full time, do volunteer work, etc...all of which means a lot to me. I would rather deal with the discomfort and not be altered.

I've read that a woman's period could cause a flare up also. Is this true for any of you?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved