MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/06/2009 09:37 PM

BEWARE sulfa drug allergies cymbalta and celebrex

TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

I was given two different drugs today at my first visit to a local dr. One for fibromyagia treatment (cymbalta)

HELLO!! THIS IS A SULFUR CONTAINING DRUG!

Identification

# Cymbalta is a prescription antidepressant drug with the scientific name of duloxetine hydrochloride. The active ingredient in the drug consists of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, sulfur, nirogen and chloride atoms, according to RxList. Normally, patients with fibromyalgia receive 60 mg of Cymbalta one time daily.

I was also given a sample of CELEBREX for pinched nerves/pain and arthritis...

HELLO! THIS IS A SULFA BASED DRUG!!!!

My new doctor walked into the room and looked at my chart and read off my allergy list...THEN GAVE ME TWO DRUGS CONTAINING SULFUR...

If you've been given these drugs and have a sulfur allergy please discontinue use if you are getting sick.. it may not be a simple side effect (nausea etc..) It could be your allergy to SULFUR.

Post edited by: TaraT, at: 10/06/2009 09:39 PM

10/06/2009 09:55 PM
Malinda1
Malinda1  

TaraT, Thanks for your posting on drugs containing sulfa. I have an allergy to sulfa and am on 120mg of Cymbalta. I guess I never read the papers I got with the RX. I will have to ask the perscriber if there is any other drug that I can take.

10/07/2009 04:21 AM
gaberiella
gaberiellaPosts: 58

Wow!!! I had NO idea...thanks so much for the info. I had a horrible reaction to Cymbalta. I don't have a full blown allergy to sulfa drugs, but I do have a great sensitivity to them.

I will absolutely let my PC doc know about this. He's become very interested in drug reactions/interactions because of the serum sickness that I developed due to my rabies vaccine reaction. He was not the one that prescribed the Cymbalta to me. It was suggested by a psychiatrist...because you all know that fibro is just a hysterical 'woman thing'...and was further recommended by my EX pain doctor...who I also have ZERO faith in anymore.

Both of these HIGHLY RESPECTED 'professionals' had my full charts in their posessions when they prescribed what turned out to be poison to me...charts that highlighted my extreme sensitivity to sulfa drugs, and the initial reason for my illness...SERUM SICKNESS...which makes my HIGHLY reactive to ANY and ALL medications for the rest of my life, especially those that I had massive reactions to before I became so sick.

Thanks again...I will pass this on!

10/07/2009 04:49 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

thank you so much for that vauluble info

10/07/2009 08:03 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

Wheeew my Dr.s office finally called me back and told me they were calling in an rx for MOBIC...I had heard of this drug before but didn't know anything about it.. Well it's an NSAID...but clearly on the information online it says YOU SHOULD NOT TAKE MOBIC IF YOU HAVE AN ALLERGY TO THINGS LIKE ASPIRIN OR IBUPROFEN..

HELLO I'm allergic TO IBUPROFEN TOO!!! GEEEEEZZZ That was ALSO ON MY ALLERGY LIST! I'm probably allergic to all nsaids...and I'm allergic to STEROIDS TOO!! GO FIGURE!

Now I'm seriously wanting to just SEE ANOTHER DR!

10/07/2009 08:09 AM
livn4jc4evr
livn4jc4evr  

thank you that is a good thing to know. I have been on both of those drugs and I am allergic to sulfa too. Mabye thats why they made me so sick. I tell you we cant live with our docs and we can't live without them.

10/07/2009 08:14 AM
TaraT
TaraT  
VIP Member

LOL SO TRUE livn4jc4evr!

10/07/2009 08:15 AM
livn4jc4evr
livn4jc4evr  

I forgot to ask if you are allergic to those meds an you had been on them for a while could that make your fibro worse. Around the time I was on Cymbalta I started have more and worse fibro symptoms. Do you think that if you where allergic to that med it would have a negitive effect on the fibro?

I am going to have to ask my doctor next time as well.

Again thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved