MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/06/2009 09:21 AM

Muscle twitching

chachasmom

I have been bothered by extreme hand twitching for over a month now. It is very annoying as well as painful with my arthritis. Is this from fibro? I had to stop taking Lyrica as I am allergic to it. I've tried Cymbalta,and it made me too nauseas. Has anyone out there had this problem? I'd appreciate any feedback.

chachasmom

10/06/2009 01:43 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Hi chachasmom and welcome to the group.

I've had that in the past when I was flaring really bad...it started for me in my legs where I couldn't keep them still then turned into involuntary kicking. Eventually it started in one arm. Robaxin seemed to be the only thing that helped me when I had it.

But it's also something you should discuss with your doctor. What did they give you to replace Lyrica? When it failed for me they put me on Cymbalta.

I'm glad you found our group but so sorry you have this dread condition!

blessings

10/06/2009 01:55 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Chachasmom, hello! Welcome to the wonderful world of mighty fibromites! It's a real pleasure to meet you Smile

I've had the twitching and spasming, too, but I get it all over my body. It's only in your hand? One hand or both? Regardless, if it's limited to your hands, you should probably talk to your doctor about it, just to rule anything else out. Better safe than sorry.

Most of us do have twitches, though. Sometimes I even have full body convulsions, where my whole body will jerk violently once or twice. It doesn't bother me, though. It doesn't hurt. Scares the crap outta hubby, though, when we're sitting on the couch! LOL!

There are still other meds you can try. Lots of them. Are you on anything at all right now? Your doctor should be more than willing to work with you to find someting that you can tolerate that will help you!

I hope you enjoy the group. Let us know if there's anything at all that you need. Make yourself comfy here Smile

Newbie hugs!

10/06/2009 02:12 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I have alot of twitching. Are you on any muscle relaxers? If not, you may want to try one.

10/06/2009 02:24 PM
tomuchpain
tomuchpain  

chachasmom,

First of all welcome to our fibrofamilySmile

I also get twitching in my muscles too but they are not painful. I mostly get them in my arm, eyelid or ribcage. They are very annoying. Sometimes they go on for days. I take flexeril, a muscle relaxer. I tried Lyrica but I couldn't handle the side affects, server dizzyness and server arm and hand pain..like someone was squeezing them with a vice grip.

I hope you feel better soon

Cheryl

10/06/2009 02:55 PM
chachasmom

Hi all!

Thanx so much for welcoming me into the group. I have the horrible the worst in my left hand, but it's also in my right,the left ribcage, my left leg is the worst,and also the full body jerks when I'm falling asleep. The left hand is the bad one tho, moving constantly until the arm is cramping by the end of the day. I have tried Cymbalta but my stomach wouldn't take it, so I'm on just the pain pills and Norflex for now. my meds doc was considering trying an anti-seizure med,but wants to see what we're dealing with first. I will see my primary doc next Weds. so maybe she can figure it out. My mom died a few years ago from Parkinsons,so I hope it's not that. Thanx for all your caring,talk later. chachasmom

10/06/2009 02:59 PM
jenigood1
jenigood1  

Hi and welcome! Sorry you have to deal with this awful disease but very glad you came here! Did you try Cymbalta for long enough to see if the nausea subsided after a week or a few weeks? Often it does - it might be worth another try if it will work - I say this because it has been wonderful for me! Almost no pain at all, even when I get up in the morning! (If you were pregnant and ever had morning sickness for months, you might be able to stand a few weeks - and it may work for you, too! Ask your doctor.) As for the shaking - it sounds a little like RLS (restless leg syndrome). Do you also have creepy crawly feelings in your legs? I think there are meds for that. It sounds like it could be from the fibro, too, though; I hadn't heard of that, although my hand sometimes trembles a little. Take care - Jeni

10/06/2009 04:12 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Welcome to the family. You can add me to the bunch, I have it all over. I have really bad trembling too. It usually just creaps me out more then anything except when I get it in my face and hands. I take a muscle relaxer too. I'm sure your doctor is going to want to rule everything out just to be safe. I'm in the middle of MS testing, everything else has already been ruled out for me. I'm glad you joined us, I think you'll like it here, everyone is great. If you have any questions or I can help with anything, feel free to PM me at anytime Tongue

10/06/2009 06:01 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Chachasmom,

Welcome to our group ~~~

When you say ""twitching"", is it like muscle spasms or nerves jumping ?

I get the latter quite frequently and mostly when I am trying to relax or go to sleep at night.

I always thought it was my ""spark plugs"" shutting down for the day ... LOL !!!

You are right, tho', it can be very irritating and I don t know of anything to stop it.

Marilyn

10/06/2009 06:37 PM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Chachasmom,

Welcome to the family! It's a pleasure to meet you! I am happy that you found us but sorry that you have to suffer from fibro.

I have just recently started having twitching problems and it drives me crazy too. I have been taking a muscle relaxer called flexeril. It seems to help somewhat, but doesn't eliminate it completely. I am going to mention it to my new rheumatologist when I see her on November 16th. However, if it continues to get worse, I will put a call into my PCP to see if she has any suggestions.

Again, welcome to our family. Please make yourself at home and settle in. We are here for you when you need us.

Welcoming Hugs~

Christine

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved