MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/06/2009 09:11 AM

1 out of 10 aint bad

gratefulmj

I looked at a picture from < four years ago at a party where I was the guest of honor. Here were a group of my friends who got together to celebrate with me. Of all these peopl, only two maintain an active relationship with me. Initially the thought saddened then angered me. Especially, since I had helped a number of these people when times were challenging for them.

One of my friends in that picture, recognizes from the moment I speak on the phone, if I'm having a bad pain day. I wish our doctors had this skill, RIGHT? The irony is that this guy is a lawyer. Go figure Silly

Then the thought occurred to me: [/b]One out of 10 aint bad.[b]

I felt grateful and empowered by this thought.

Why do we need set expectations that people will always give back to us as much as we give to them? Why do we need to be stoic martyrs?

I think that if my adversity has shown me anything about my friends, it's how lucky I am to have a few good ones. Not sympathetic Florence Nightengale's, who get a rush out of helping the needy - because they feel empowered doing so, but real friends. People who show and share real emotions with me. People who are not afraid to be who they are around me. Yet people who can demonstrate empathy when the situation calls for it.

So, I hope all of you can look around in your life at your friends (old and new) and see who has stuck around through thick and thin and be as grateful as I am.

G-d bless,

MJ

10/06/2009 01:40 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

As usual, you're right MJ! Adversity always shows us who our true friends are. Like the wonder people in this group!

blessings to all!

10/06/2009 05:58 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I agree with you, Grateful ~~~

I would rather have 3 true friends than a room full of sometime friends.

Marilyn

10/06/2009 09:02 PM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Here, here Marilyn. I agree as well. I have lost some friends since being sick (not my true friends) and kept some as well. I also have made some new friends here in the condo complex where we live. I am very grateful for the friends that I have. I have two very special friends outside MDJ and I cherish and appreciate their friendship very much. I am grateful for the friends that I have.

Christine

10/07/2009 08:21 AM
gratefulmj

Thank you Rayn, Marilyn, and Christine you brighten my day.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved