MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/06/2008 02:23 PM

reasonable complaint to a doctor.

Ksdmjd
Ksdmjd  

I just want to help here, and I know I may step over the line....

There are a lot of people here who are unhappy with the treatment they have received by the doctor or clinic they attend.

What have you done about it?

Please remember, doctors are in business. If you are unhappy with your treatment you have every right to complain. Most doctors do not work alone, they either have a group practice, belong to a paid provider organization (PPO) or Health Maintenance Organization (HMO). If you need to, contact the business office of your provider (doctor) and ask them where to send complaints.

Write a letter of complaint to the business office. Seriously.

You wouldn't tolerate this kind of treatment at any other form of business, why do you tolerate it from your doctor?

The reverse is true also, when you receive good treatment, please write also,that way they know who does do a good job.

Medicine in the US is big business. Choose where you want to shop. You may be restricted by insurance a bit, but look further into your policy and contact your policy office, you may be able to be covered for someone else if the preferred provider is unacceptable.

As someone who deals with customer service, I can tell you you don't have to stand for substandard treatment. That is a choice.Dizzy

05/06/2008 03:14 PM
Matafleur
Matafleur  

I agree that it's a good idea to complain, but I will guess that many of us are on Medicaid. Complaining too much could result in getting Medicaid canceled. I know that my 'contract' clearly states that trouble makers will be canceled. What constitutes a trouble maker? I asked and was told that it could be someone who is always complaining about their doctor. Great huh? So, I try to anonymously educate the doctors by sending them FM info in the mail or leaving an envelope in their office. ~shrugs~

05/06/2008 03:42 PM
cadburry
cadburry  

Matafleur said it perfectly.

We can't complain or we wont have medical insurance!

05/06/2008 07:30 PM
BLB
BLB  

That is what I have always said...Amen to that!!!!

05/06/2008 08:08 PM
cadburry
cadburry  

It must be nice to be able to have insurance other than medicaid!

05/06/2008 08:09 PM
cadburry
cadburry  

This post is probably not a good idea!

Because basically your tellig us to shut up about our bad doctors, but theres not much we can do because we are on medicaid, so we get it off our chest here.

Post edited by: cadburry, at: 05/06/2008 22:11

05/06/2008 09:34 PM
Ksdmjd
Ksdmjd  

I am absolutely NOT telling you to shut up. I was just wondering if you have mentioned to the doctor that you are unhappy with the treatment. I will follow up on this,it definitly looks like I need more information. My apologies for my misunderstanding.

05/07/2008 12:50 AM
Fletch2ya
Fletch2ya  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

hi.... I don't think any one has to be at all quite when it comes to bad treatment from anyplace....... I think if you have a problem it is best to say it when it happens and to the person that is in charge at the time...... It does not matter if you are in McDonalds or your doctors office...... and I guess especially if you are in your doctors office... I think when you are in the room with the Dr. and he tells you something that you disagree with, well tell him.... Tell him your problem ... but tact fully and with respect.... BUT TELL him your concerns.... I have tried the business office approach..... and it really got me NO where..... YOU have every right to question you meds, and the kind of treatment you are getting... I was told by a doctor that was treating me for RSD that the only thing he really knew about the drug he was prescibing was what he had learned from the sales person.. that sold it to him...... If you think you doctor does not like treating fibro...ask him...

Aaaa Dr. I was wondering, is there a chance you do not like treating fibro patients..... and if he says yes, that he has no problem with treating fibro patients, then say I am really glad to hear that because I have a lot of faith in you and I have this concern..... If he says no I really don't. ASK him why... and don't get mad at his response, because it was you that asked why...

And then ask him if he will refer you to a DR. that is comfortable treating fibro......

I am not sure where its written, but no matter you are the patient, and you are paying the bill one way or the other, so you have the right to ask all the questions you want, and expect answers......

Craig

05/07/2008 05:50 AM
Ksdmjd
Ksdmjd  

I agree Craig. But I, in my haste to post information I have learned, may have been insensitive and I am sorry to all of you. I am looking into the medicare/medicaid issue. Medicaid is state run,so very well could vary state by state as to how they handle complaints. I am contacting my state medicaid office to see how a patients complaint would be handled here. This is terrible that people feel that they can't say anything or they would be "punished" by getting dropped.

I am off to school and will let you all know what I find out from my instructors as well.

05/07/2008 06:16 AM
AngelBooze
AngelBooze  

I know for a fact that if I do not go to a referral that might help me then I can lose what I have. I am on medicaid and medicare. I have limited doctors because doctors are now getting to the point that they will not except medicaid/ medicare. So then you have to go to doctors that will take your insurance. I think that sometimes people get to the point that they think that they know everything and I do not feel that that is write. I am trying to change doctors for my fibro, but also the doctors that have been treating are good doctors but one thinks that I am a drug seeker and the other one does not really know to much about fibro. The pain clinic to me is a bunch of bull because you go and then they expect you to sit for 4 hrs and answer questions. You tell me who exactly can sit for 4 hrs. to answer questions.

The ladies &/or men on here that does not have to depend on Medicaid &/or medicare are lucky. And I am very happy for them because they can be treated the way we all should be treated.

Now I do not know if I took the last couple of post wrong. But I do know that not everyone is able to go doctor jumping to find the right one. Not only because of insureance but also because of location. Like I live at least 50 miles from the nearest big city where you can possibly get better bedside matterss. So I have to satick to the ones that I can get to. There are alot of things that certain patients have to consider before they go doctor jumping.

RitaErmm

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved