MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/26/2009 01:32 PM

Does Fibro weaken immune systems?

Seventeen
Seventeen  

I'm convinced that it does. Ever since returning to school three weeks ago, I've caught no less than five bugs (stomach virus, the runs, strep, bronchitis, and another bad cold), which I've had to deal with on top of everything else that fibro presents. I've caught every bug that the school has had to give...ugh. And I've done everything to try and prevent germs too, by the way; I'm a germaphobe Blink

Is it just me...or is there some validity to this conclusion? And is there anything I can do to prevent getting sick all of the time? Sad

09/26/2009 01:36 PM
Kristie1972
Kristie1972  

for me i take a multivitaman/multimineral. plus i take 500mg of vitaman C every morning. i to catch everything that goes a round. if it is out there i will get it.. you could all so wear a mask so that the germs will not get to you..

09/26/2009 01:36 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Seventeen,

I don t think Fibro weakens our immune system but if we re going thru a flare or in constant pain that dibilitates us, I m sure we re more susceptible to whatever germs are passing around.

Do you take any kind of vitamins ? That might help build your immunity ~~~ I no longer suffer 2 bouts of bronchitis yearly taking a daily multi-vitamin (year round).

I hope you feel better soon ~~~ Smile

Marilyn

09/26/2009 01:50 PM
Jezwik

Seventeen, a lot of medications can lower our immune system's ability to fight off infections... Not sure what you take, but it might be helpful to do some research online about your meds to see if this could be the case. Probiotics, Omegas, and many Vitamins out there can help to boost your immune system. The others have some great suggestions regarding that too... Hope you get better soon Smile

HUGS

Jessica

09/26/2009 03:11 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Hey 17,

The year before I was diagnosed I caught two colds and a flu bug. Prior to that I'd only had one cold since I quit smoking in 1988. When I was diagnosed I mentioned that to my doctor and she told me that it only confirmed the diagnosis in her mind.

I've managed to stay fairly healthy since then but I was unemployed during most of last year's flu & cold season and sitting at home. While I was working last fall I took Trader Joe's version of Airborne and avoided touching door knobs with my bare hand. I also take a multi-vitamin and an extra antioxidant and a Vitamin D-Calcium-Magnesium supplement.

Good luck staying healthy.

09/26/2009 03:22 PM
sosore

I had a cold,bronchitis and really bad asthma.

i beleive that any autoimmune disease will effect the immune.

not really sure. but i know my ammune is really bad because i am

a cancer survior. i can catch viruses very quickly.

i have fibro,IBS,RLS,Hashmoto's,Asthma,Diabetes2,

Shingles, spine & disks problems.

I believe Diabetes,Hashimoto's,and fibro are all autoimmune disease.

so i seem to be getting hit with all. but imo it's the cancer treatments made my ammune weak.

I been getting sick alot this year. so maybe it's just the changed in the weather which makes me weak also.

Best of luck.Thanks

also>>I'm glad i never started smoking..

Post edited by: sosore, at: 09/26/2009 03:27 PM

09/26/2009 03:28 PM
LuvMyCat
LuvMyCat  

I'm not sure anyone knows the answer to your question for certain. Does having Fibro lower the immune system? Or does a weaker immune system help pave the way for Fibro? Once my doctor suspected that I had Fibro, she tested my immune levels, and they are low. According to her, this is a common co-existence. I can echo many of the other responses in telling you that I take a multi-vitamin. I also take a multi-amino-acid supplement that seems to have helped my body respond to injury and sickness a little more effectively than it was. Hang in there--it sounds like you are already being very proactive, which certainly can't hurt.

09/26/2009 05:53 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

Astma, diabetics, RA, Lupus, IBS, cancer, etc., all are autoimmune diseases and definitly affect the immunity. Plus the meds we have to take for most of these really suppress the immunity. That is why when I get a cold it never stays a cold it goes on to much worse things such as pneumonia.

Fibro is not an an autoimmune disease.

However, I think any chronic illness or condition does have an effect on over all general health.

I was talking about this recently...how there seems to be sooo much sickness these past months.

It seems like one thing after another. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Hugs

09/26/2009 06:29 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

I think it's pretty well documented that chronic pain of any kind weakens the immune system. We're probably lucky to be as healthy as we are. Look at poor Sosore...she got a cold and a couple of days later it was bronchitis.

09/26/2009 06:48 PM
Jezwik

This is all very eye opening for me... I have had chronic bronchitis for several years now - and then came the fibro diagnosis... Also I notice when I come down with a cold/flu - that always sends me into a fibro flare... So makes me wonder if having fibro is one big reason that I get sick so often...??? We all know, already though, that when you're under a lot of STRESS, that alone can make us prone to getting sick. Who wouldn't agree with me when I say that "dealing with Fibro and all that comes with it - is VERY STRESSFUL!?!"

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved