MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/29/2008 05:44 PM

appointment tomorrow

hurtallover
hurtallover  

So far (I am newly diagnosed) my Dr has only told me to take OTC medicine. Tylenol, Ibuprofin, Aleve. I have been miserable for the last week-10 days. So I decided to call the Dr and have an appt for tomorrow. I have to see the Nurse Practicioner (sp) that is in the same office, and i have seen her before for my IBS. I feel like a "whimp" or like I should be able to cope better. I hope that my symptoms are not treated "lightly" and I am a little nervous about going in tomorrow. Until December I hadn't been to the Dr for 8 years. I am usually very healthy--not anymore. Sad

04/29/2008 06:39 PM
Bkwrm398
Bkwrm398  
I'm an Advocate

Hi,

When you see the NP tomorrow let her know that you HAVE taken the OTC meds. Give her an idea of what your med schedule has been....which ones you take in the morning, lunch, evening, etc. This will be more specific than just saying the OTC meds aren't helping. I hope this is helpfulSmile

Good luck tomorrow...I really do hope they can give you something that helps.

HugsSmile

04/29/2008 06:47 PM
Matafleur
Matafleur  

Bkwrm has a good idea there. Write down your med schedule, what works and what doesn't, how the OTC's work, and for how long. Write down all your questions and absolutely ALL your symptoms head to toe and ask that the list be added to your medical records. I hope the doc can help. Good luck!

04/29/2008 07:52 PM
ALCSS2008

Good luck tomorrow. Sometimes I have found that the nurse practitioner takes a little more time and listens to you. I agree with the others. Go prepared. Make a list of what you have tried. It may be a good idea to write down a few normal household chores and how your ability to do these has been affected. For instance: folding clothes...Can you do it? Do you have to rest while folding? Dan you not do it at all? This will give them an idea of how greatly the pain of fibro has affected your life.

It may be a good idea to keep a journal, especially since you are newly diagnosed. This will give you good record for the doctor and in case you ever need to file for SSD.

I hope you get something to help you ease your pain.

04/29/2008 07:55 PM
hurtallover
hurtallover  

Thanks everyone--I am compiling my list now. Great idea, I would not have thought of that being new to this whole thing. I really appreciate your suggestions.

04/29/2008 08:02 PM
cadburry
cadburry  

If they are not able to help you then I would ask them to send you to a pain clinic. I wish I would have gone to a pain clinic allot sooner. It would have saved me from feeling so hopeless.

04/29/2008 09:37 PM
foxyroxy1
foxyroxy1  

I am going to a pain clinic tomorrow....I am starting to wish I would have gone sooner.The pain is so bad tonight it woke me!!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved