MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/14/2009 02:04 PM

Bear in mind, it's still in the testing stage

CyYentz
CyYentzPosts: 83

I've had fibromyalgia for over 20 years. I've found temporary partial relief through drugs, excessive prescription medication that damaged other parts of my body, and meditation. I self-diagnosed fibro around 1998, but it took until earlier this year to get a physician to actually write the diagnosis. Even still, as I understand it, it's not an actual diagnosis. Like veso-vagal syndrome, all it is is a descriptive statement, defined by a set of symptoms, that the medical community is using as a "diagnosis of last resort." Now, I ain't complainin' about that. It's kinda nice to at least have a "verbal hook" to hang the suffering on.

Well, I started an acupuncture procedure Wednesday, 11/03/09 that some doctors distrust. It's had excellent beginning effects for me, but there are numerous criticisms of it on-line and the CA Chiro Board has applied sanctions on the "discoverer" of the technique, Dr. Paul Whitcomb, including temporarily suspending his license. All the data on the troubles is readily available just by doing a search on his name or going to http://www.casewatch.org/board/chiro/whitcomb/ decision.shtml.

What I intend to do here is to simply document my experiences with an acupuncturist using a "fine tuned" version of this technique. I would like to state, though, that I've been told (hearsay evidence) that only 5 people actually witnessed against Dr. Whitcomb and he was denied the right to present more than 250 witnesses on his behalf, being limited to the same number his accuser presented. I've also learned that at least one of the witnesses against him has posted on sites decrying Dr. Whitcomb's inadequacies under 7 different e-mail addrtesses, verified by ISP tracking, while making it seem to be from 7 different people.

Okay -- wasted too much time on the set-up. I'll have to start my descriptive report on personal experiences later.

Post edited by: CyYentz, at: 09/14/2009 02:06 PM

Post edited by: CyYentz, at: 09/14/2009 02:08 PM

09/14/2009 05:17 PM
CyYentz

W00t Okay, I covered all the sour notes in the first post. Now for the good part.

Two days of three treatments each had me feeling great -- by comparison. Pain levels were down from 9 on Wednesday to about 3-4 on Friday evening. I even managed to sleep through the night -- well 6-1/2 hours -- with no pharmaceutical aids. Then my acupuncturist came in on Monday, Labor Day, to administer 3 more sessions. I had 3 more each day on Wed., Thur., & Fri. By Friday night pain levels were at 2-3. These are short adjustment sessions, but having 3 per day does chop into the schedule.

Saurday I had to go shopping and the friend who normally helps me was under the weather so I went alone. That involved using my cane instead of my wheeled walker and pushing a cart weighing about 85 lbs. up hills one-handed to get the purchases home. By this morning my pain levels were around 6. I've had 3 sessions today and the levels are down to 2, really negligible in comparison to my norm. I expect 6 more weeks of this schedule, then 2 weeks of a lighter schedule, then maintenance at about one session every 4 to 6 weeks.

So far, I've regained more than 1/2" in lost height, lessened my pain, regained the ability to sleep without drugs, and been given new hope. Of course, none of this would have been possible for me without the VAH coverage.

Next I'll tell you about the expense if you don't have a health plan that'll cover it.

09/14/2009 05:50 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Cy, it sounds wonderful, congratulations! I'm so glad it's helping your pain. We've had some discussion in here about acupuncture before, but I don't think we've ever had anyone dong a detailed and dedicated report on it. I think it's wonderful, thank you!

09/14/2009 06:08 PM
CyYentz

You're very welcome. I really appreciate knowing that it's welcome information. I'll more than likely get the third part -- costs -- done tomorrow. Too tired today -- healing takes almost as much energy as hurting -- LOL.

09/14/2009 06:12 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Omigosh! You are so right! That's why I've spent the last two and a half months like Rip Van Winkle! LOL! My body was healing and repairing itself Smile It didn't seem like it was ever going to end, though, but it seems to be now!

Just take your time, Cy. There's no rush Smile

09/14/2009 07:02 PM
emendoza23
emendoza23  

Cy, I find this very interesting. I can not wait to see the cost, I have no insurance. Does it not hurt? Isn't this where they stick you full of needles? I am curious, I have read a touch of it here and there, but I do not know much about it at all. I am very open minded and I can't wait to see if it continues to work for you.

Elizabeth

09/14/2009 07:13 PM
puppymom2

Accupunture really helped my migraines but did nothing for my FMS. I am interested to hear more about your experience.

09/15/2009 02:35 PM
CyYentz

Cool Elizabeth, this particular method is acupressure, not acupuncture. I really want you to know, though, that acupuncture needles are almost painless. I've had treatment for my migraines in the past and the worst part of it for me was that the needles stay in for quite a period of time. I kept wanting to use my hands to brush away the dangling needles on my forehead.W00t

Another post is going to be done today -- primarily about the vagaries of dealing with the VA Hospital staff, but I will more fully explain the technique and why it's at the early stages of testing.

09/15/2009 02:47 PM
CyYentz

I'm really anxious to spread the truth about this particular procedure. It involves a little pressure discomfort while the atlas is being worked on, but it's not bad and it's gone almost very quickly when the session ends. Also, remember everything I say is from the things I feel. I can tell you that the amount of pressure and the length of each application are both higher than is commonly used in acupressure treatments. Moe asbout that in my "as I write it" entry today.

Be very sure, if you want to check on this procedure, to take the data about the doctor and all else seriously. I decided it was worth it, to me, to take the risk. But then, my treatment is being under-written by the VA fee service office.

Blessed be.

Allan

09/15/2009 02:52 PM
CyYentz

puppymom2, so far as I know the only doctor using this technique until very recently was Dr. Paul Whitcomb. My acupuncturist just went through a seminar in Tahoe 12 days ago to learn how to do it correctly and for the best results. A free seminar is being held here in San Francisco as I type. Further expansion of treatment may take a bit of time, but it's in the works now to start a full clinical trial nationwide.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved