MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/12/2009 09:41 PM

Has anyone else been prescribed...

suetotten
suetotten  

Sad Unsure Has anyone else been prescribed an anti-depressant to help you sleep? I know it's a sensitive question...Sorry, but that's just me.

I was prescribed amitriptyline 10mg at night before bed to help me sleep. I have been on it for 1 1/2 years. It seemed to help until about 2 months ago. Now I'm just going through the motions when I take it.

This is not the first one they have prescribed for me in the 8 years I've been like this. Why do alot of doctors still think this is all in our heads?

09/12/2009 09:53 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Sue, hello and it's nice to meet you, though better under different circumstances, wouldn't it? Anit-depressants work in our bodies in a lot of ways, one of the biggest ways in that they change the way the nerves react to some neurotransmitters. As such, they can and do help with pain and other problems such as sleeping.

If it's not helping you sleep, then perhaps it's time to talk to your doctor about a change. Right now I take Neurontin 200mg, Flexeril 10mg and melatonin 3-6mg at night for sleep. Melatonin is a natural hormone already produced by the brain for sleep, and it's available rather cheaply at any drug store. Some people have even found that melatonin, at 10mg a day, can reduce migraines. Melatonin has an extremely low risk of interaction with other meds (notice I say LOW, I'm not a doctor OR a pharmacist) and you can get it without a perscription.

Welcome to our family!Grin

09/12/2009 10:09 PM
suetotten
suetotten  

Thanks Naddya! I am currently doing the routine detox from my flexeril 25mg. When I get to the point it doesn't work, I ask my doctors for a detox lol. I'll talk to her about the melatonin, my 6yr old takes half a 3 mg one when her ADHD gets beyond her...so maybe she will share lol. It helps her sleep great.

I've heard of Lyrica, and I read in a discussion that Neurontin is a cheaper alternative. I'll have to do some research on that one. Thank you for the sound advice, as well as some alternatives to discuss with my new doctor. My last doc wouldn't take me off of the amitrypline on my say so, so I requested a new doctor...I'm sure you know how that goes lol.

Thanks again, and hang in there. I know I do

09/12/2009 10:19 PM
Sonni
Sonni  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi All!

I'd like to know if anyone has been prescribed Rozerem for sleep? Has anyone had any after affects? It seems to me that about every 3 days, suddenly all I want to do is sleep for a couple of days since beginning the Rozerem. It was prescribed for nightly use, but I'm considering dropping it down to per need only.

Any ideas?

thanks all

09/12/2009 10:38 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

I took Rozerem for a while...It actually made me sleepy but I'd be wide awake anywhere from an hour to two hours later and not be able to get back to sleep. The biggest waste of money in MY medicine cabinet! Since it didn't help me sleep, I have no idea of it left me groggy the next day or not...I was just exhausted.

I also tried Trazodone for sleep...I think it wouldn't put me to sleep...I'd lie awake for hours and it would never kick in.

The ONLY two things that help me sleep are melatonin 3-6 mg. I got no migraine relief from 9mg...I was waking up groggy and headachy when I took 9mg. Now I tend to stick with 6mg and the headaches have decreased and I'm not so groggy. Oh and the other was valium, but they won't let me have that anymore Sad

We're all so different though that your reactions will probably be the exact opposite of mine...that's the way it tends to go in fibroville!

09/12/2009 10:49 PM
Sonni
Sonni  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That's so the truth Raynedae! Thank you for posting a reply so soon. It did help me to understand that maybe I need something of less strength. I'm so sensitive! lol

09/12/2009 10:52 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

The melatonin seems to be the drug of the week around here. It's actually a hormone your body secretes and the older you get, the less it secretes which is why it didn't work for me in my 20s but works so well now I'm in my 50s. It's also really cheap and available at any drugstore or health food store. Good luck Sonni!

09/13/2009 07:08 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello, Sue,

I don t think I ve had the opportunity to WELCOME you to our group ~~~~ Welcome, Smile !!!

I can be of much help when it comes to the need for sleeping aids as , fortunately, I can, most nights, sleep like a baby.

The only time that I had problems sleeping during the night was when I was going thru meno ~~~ between insomnia in general and night sweats, it just wasn t happening.

I sometimes thought it might also be relavant to the fact that for many years (from teenage years to when ""empty nest"" syndrome came along, I only slept 4-5 per night and could go like the Energizer Bunny thru the daytime hours.

I know others here will be able to shed more light on the questions that you have asked. You have joined the best group around ~~~

Again ~~~ Welcome ~~~ Smile

Marilyn

09/13/2009 07:13 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I've been prescribed antideppressants for sleep. I've also always been prescribed anti d's for the FM anyway. I was dxed in 99 back before the days of lyrica and cymbalta. That's what they used to treat FM cause that was the best they had then. Anti d's work in lots of ways for lots of illnesses.

09/13/2009 09:53 PM
debbie1955
debbie1955  

Ask your dr about Klonopin-generic is Clonzepam, also they are pretty cheap.. I take this for anxiety during the day and take 2 at night to help my brain shut down and get to sleep. I was started on antidpresants and told to take at night but I was up all night. They are uppers. I guess this happens to some people, they just work the opposite. You need downers to get to sleep. Just let the dr know and if that dr doesn't help, there are others. I had to switch a few times cuz I found some dr just don't care.

Happy sleeping soon.

Hugs,

Debbie

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved