MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/07/2009 06:40 PM

Anyone take meds for Anxiety and pain?

cmregalado
cmregaladoPosts: 6

The doctor had me on Xanax for anxiety and sleep and another took me off saying that is was addictive and I needed to be on something called klonopin. I have heard that this is alot better than xanax but I haven't been put on it yet. I also take Ultram and Lyrica for pain but sometimes I don't think these help. Any advice??

09/07/2009 07:07 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hey, CM, I don't think we've met yet, so welcome to the wonderful world of mighty fibromites!

Anti anxiety meds are often used as part of a treatment plan for fibro. I took atavan for a very long time and always felt that it helped, even though it was such a low dose. I'm not sure, but I think just the fact that it relaxes you helps when you're in so much pain. And they do help you sleep.

I think all of them have the potential for addiction, though. I'm not sure why klonopin would be any different.

As for the pain itself, if you feel your meds aren't working, you should talk to your doctor asap. There are lots of other options to try. Lori and I are both on suboxone which absolutely stops the pain in its tracks!

09/07/2009 07:17 PM
shortstuff116
shortstuff116  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Christy, I take Buspar for Anxiety. It seems to help me because without it, I think my hubby would leave me. My anxiety attacks are real bad. I feel like I am going to jump out of my skin and just start screaming nad never stop. Buspar does help. I hope this helped. HAng in there. I'm here if you need to talk. God Bless You. shortstuff

09/07/2009 07:50 PM
River
River  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I have heard that kolopin is very addictive.All meds have something though. I wish you the best. We have not met either so I am happy to meet you. Welcome to the group. HUGS River

09/07/2009 08:01 PM
debbie1955
debbie1955  

HI Zanax is very addictive and hard to get off. I have taken it in the past and it took a while to get off it. I now take klonopin and love it. I think it works better than Zanax. It is still addictive but not as bad. If I miss a dose, I don't feel like I am going to jump out of the skin. I take 1 with breakfast and 1 with lunch and 2 at bedtime. The ones at bedtime really help me sleep. I have a lot of stress from a family member and at night it is hard for me to turn my brain off and go to sleep so my klonopin does it for me. I take them about 1/2 hr before going to bed then I can get to sleep pretty quickly (if I have remembered to take my pain med early, too).

I think you would like klonopin but talk it over with your dr and see if it goes with your other meds. It is cheap too.

Hugs,

Debbie

09/07/2009 08:15 PM
cmregalado

Thanks so much! I will talk to my Dr about it. What dosage are you on? I dont know what they come in or start you off at. Do you think since my Rhuematoid DR prescribed xanax that he would be the one to talk to about klonopin? I am so excited to be apart of this support group. Its nice to get advice from people who are going through the same kind of things. I really appreciate your response.

09/07/2009 08:16 PM
cmregalado

THANKS IT IS NICE TO MEET YOU TOO.

09/07/2009 09:20 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Hi CM, nice to meet you! My doc wouldn't let me have valium anymore but put me on klonopin. She chose it because it was supposed to be the least addictive of the anxiety meds. At least that's what she told me Smile She's mean...she took away my valium and won't prescribe pain meds for fibro------but then she's well aware of my tendency to get addicted to anything......

09/07/2009 09:54 PM
justkeepgoing
justkeepgoing  

I take Savella 200mg a day and pain pills, atavan for anxiety as needed. (for me it works right away)

was taken off depression meds Savella works for that too

Post edited by: justkeepgoing, at: 09/07/2009 09:56 PM

09/08/2009 12:24 PM
debbie1955
debbie1955  

I have been on Klonopin for quite awhile, since 2004. They are 0.5mg pills and the generic name is Clonazepam. I think I started out with 1 at breakfast and 1 in the afternoon. It was mainly for anxiety attacks and stress back then. Then I couldn't sleep, so she had me take 1 with breakfast, 1 with lunch (I take it around 2-3 o'clock) and then 1 at bedtime but taking just 1 didn't do it so now I take 2. So all day, I take 4 - 0.5mg of Klonopin. Doesn't sound like alot but it works. I think she told me not too long ago that I am at or close to the maximum that she likes to give out. My dr is a phychiatrist and a psychologist so I can get my meds and have counseling all in one appt. She can also adjust my meds quickly if they need to be adjusted. I don't think there are too many of them around that do both jobs. I think I got lucky. I get 3 months mail order supply and they cost $24.

Hope this helps give you some guidelines for when you talk to your dr.

Hope you're having a ok day!!

DebbieTongue

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved