MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/04/2009 11:38 AM

Can this be Fibro or much much worse? Scared.

treeguy
treeguyPosts: 18

My life i really hard now. I am male age 56. My symptoms started about 6 months again with bad pain in left bicep on certain movements. Figured it was a tear especially since I just took round of Cipro which can do that

After several months I went to Otho Doctor who xray-ed and it said bone was fine and gave me 7 days treatment of Predisone. That was about three months ago. At that same time i noticed I was getting numbness in fingers and tingling as well as twitches. The within days I got some pain in right arm and also tingling and numbness in fingers. The really overnight I started having pain in legs, fatigue and pin and needles in legs and arms, numbness in toes, toe pain and lots of muscle twitches about all over. Then a lot of fatigue and I went from 6 workouts a weeks to none and barely able to walk 1/4 of a mile. The I noticed that I was losing muscle in my arms as they look more wrinkled even at age 56 I was fit and firm. I want to family doctor and got like 30 different blood tests and all normal including b12. Lyme was 1 panel positive and I am a forester so that is still quite likely nas a possible cause but doctors just go by tests and if its in my nerves system then it will not show on blood tests..

I then went to neurologist about three weeks ago. He did bunch of strength and reflex tests in the office and all were OK. He thought the muscle loss may not be pathological and is from lack of use due to arm pain. He said maybe its Fibromyalgia but did order brain and neck MRI. We have have not done thise yet due doe high insurance deductible and we will have to pay all of it maybe about $5000. He order a few other blood tests and to my surprise I tested positive for Epstein Barr but that would not do the pain and muscle loss would it ?

I am scared to death about ALS since I have the muscle loss and the twitches but cannot see it would present almost overnight with all this pain and skin tingling, pins, hot needle going in feelings etc since it does not effect sensory nerve just motor. My arms some days feel weaker and other days OK but wonder if books are feeling heavier etc. Of course I am getting no exercise with all the pain and aching. My left are can hurt so bad at time I have to cry out. I am on Lyrice , paxil and pain meads. I get pain like knife going in my legs when I try to walk much but it does go away. I also get some joint pain in wrists and ankles sometimes too. I am lost on this, cannot work or do much with my daughter. I am in fear of my life as will this get worse and worse? The Lyrica has helped the the thing like pins and needles and numbness but not much for the pain I get. Please help with thoughts but do not scare me more than I am if thats possible.

Thanks!

09/04/2009 12:21 PM
homesickgranny
homesickgranny  

Listed are a few of the tests you need to have to rule out things that have similar symptoms.

Lupus

Lyme Desease

Ms

Complete Thyroid Panal

These tests can be done with blood testing and then go further as needed to rule things out. I know they are expensive, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Just jump in here when yu need us and we will be here for you. Keep us up to date HUGS

09/04/2009 01:52 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Hi Treeguy and welcome! I'm so glad you found us.

I recommend that you check out the Lyme disease forum at http://www.mdjunction.com/lyme-disease

My fibro symptoms came on kind of suddenly...I'd had aches and pains for years and fatigue but had always been told it was residual from losing my spleen in a major car wreck. Then one day I had the pins and needles sensations and what I described as burning/tingly pains in my arms & later my legs. I hurt everywhere and could barely keep my eyes open. It was my first real bad fibro flare brought on by stress.

A year and a half later after experimenting with a ridiculously large amount of medications, the tingly/burny sensation has subsided and I'm left with bone-aching tiredness, some muscle pain/weakness and insomnia.

Fibro flares come and go and are made much worse by stress. I hope you find some relief soon.

I'm glad you found us. Take a deep breathe...you're not alone.

blessings

09/04/2009 02:25 PM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

doctors doctors and more doctors..I understand how fustrated you are.I asume the mri he wants to schedual is for your neck?

with the pains in your arm that would make sence how sudden was the loss of muscel tone? the twitches burning pins and needles are things that come with fibro..I am glad you are trying to get to the bottom of it..

the advice would be a doctor you can trust..and work with you.

do your symptoms come and go or all they always the same?

also I would suggest if you are able to use water theropy on your own or with a perscription. water is great for exersice and to keep you moving when you dont feel you can also hot baths

you are not alone we are here for you..and as it has been said stress will add to the hurting

09/04/2009 02:29 PM
Nitalynn
Nitalynn  

I have a nephew that picked up Lyme disease several years ago. He is a civil engineer and does a lot of work measuring property lines and sense we live in a highly wooded area a lot of it is in the woods. I really think they should do more to rule out Lyme before you get caught up on fears of ALS and the like. Of course a lot of us with fibro have twitches so that would go right along with it. You might talk to your doctor about something for the pain. I wish you luck and please keep us up to date on how you are doing.

09/04/2009 03:41 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Hi Treeguy and welcome to the family. First of all, you have all of us now and that should be some comfort because it's always better to have lots of people on your side to help you through the rough times in your life. I have/am experiencing lots of the same symptoms you have. I have fibro, hypothyroidism, RA and a few other things. I am currently in the middle of MS testing. Most of the symptoms you are describing are fibro symptoms and although I'm not a doctor, I would still suggest that you rule everything out that you can afford to do. My thyroid tests came back normal several times before coming back positive and once on the meds for that, I began to feel better. I do still have lots of the same symptoms just not as bad. The one thing I do have terribly is arm and leg pain, feels like cement blocks are attached to them.

We will help you through anything that we can and also it's good to read through as many posts as you can. I try to keep everyone updated as do most members because you will learn alot through the sharing of information. I will keep you in my prayers.

Connie

09/04/2009 04:01 PM
treeguy
treeguyPosts: 18

Thanks all so much for your kind responses. I have posed a lot on Medhelp and no one answeres in months!. Much nicer folks here. I did have thyroid test and was normal it said. The strange thing is I had the left arm pain for months but was fine otherwise, working out on elliptical machine and walking 3-5 miles each day. Then started the Predisone for the arm pain (steroid) and on the 5th on the med I night woke up with terrible sharp pain in calf and tingling, pins and needles and all that in arms and legs. From that day which was 7/1/09 I have had all the pains, stiffness, tingling, twitches, fatigue, hard to walk without pain later or then, finger pain, muscle loss, poor sleep, shap like hot pins going inot muscles, on and on. I do not know of any of the neuro diseases that just knock you out over one night. I guess I must have had other symptoms earlier but except for testicular infection where I took Cipro ( did that do it) month before I was fine and fit until that night. So hard to figure but been over two months of you know what really. I am Christian and this has been so hard on my family ( wfie and daughter age 11) too but we pray every day.

09/04/2009 04:35 PM
shortstuff116
shortstuff116  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Treeguy, WELCOME! Have you seen a Rheumatologist? The only way to know for sure that you have Fibro or something else is to make an appointment with a Rheumatologist. He will know for sure that Fibro is what you have. I know when I was told that I had Fibro, I to had all the tingling in hand,fingers, legs and feet. legs and feet stayed swollen and walking acroos the room was a job in itself. Everything hurt. I ahve sever pain in my lower back and neck. But I was told that I have osteoarthritis in my neck, lower back, legs feet and hands. So this was quit a shock to me because I was never told.

You really need to to see a Rheumy and find out for sure. Please let me know after you see one what he tells you. Good Luck and Welcome to this Family. God Bless You. shortstuff welcomesmileys1111111

09/04/2009 04:41 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Treeguy, welcome to the wonderful world of mighty fibromites! It's a real pleasure to meet you!

It makes perfect sense that you're scared. Fibro symptoms mimic many other, much more serious, diseases. That's why it's so important to rule out everything as much as possible.

If you have Lyme, Epstein Barr AND fibro, you still wouldn't be alone. We've got a few members that have all three. Fibro frequently rears its ugly little head along with other disease processes.

What kind of treatments are you getting now? Are they treating your pain at all? For us, everything depends so much on how good of a doctor we have. They have to believe in fibro and be willing to treat the pain. They also have to be competent enough to figure out if there are, in fact, other things going on. So many people have MS and fibro, Lupus and fibro, CFS and fibro, lyme and fibro.

So it is, unfortunately, really important that you have all of the tests. It's frustrating and more, all of us are hit financially because of our health. Get hold of Hopful1, Steffanie. You can find her on the leader page. She recently told us about a company that makes loans for medical care and there's not interest for a certain period of time. She can give you the name of it, because I've completely forgotten!

Anyway, I do hope that you'll hang out with us. Posts don't go unanswered here for very long at all Wink

That other group you were on, was there even anyone there? If they were there, but not answering you, how freaking rude! You won't find that here at all Smile We're a pretty happy bunch!

Newbie hugs!

09/04/2009 04:52 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Guy, the infection could have brought on the fibro. That's one of the theories most doctors put forth. That it's preceded by either a physical trauma/injury, or an infection of some kind that can be so mild as to not even be noticed.

I'm glad that you have your family to help you through this. It does affect the entire family, to be sure. It affects every aspect of our lives. If you're interested, we also have a group for spouses, called fibro mates. Maybe you and your wife would like to join that one as well Smile

http://www.mdjunction.com/fibromyalgia-in-the-family

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved