MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/19/2008 11:47 PM

Post-Surgery...Here we go again....

sugardrop168
sugardoc  

Sick Well i had my knee surgery Friday and after educating myself this week on fibro, looking back I now know why the epideral didn't work while birthing my son, no pain meds worked either (i tore to high heaven..sorry men) and while being stitched I felt every stick of the needle and my son weighed 9lb 8oz's. Then following my hysterectomy i screemed for 2 1/2 hours cuz they could not get my pain managed. After that surgery i had an ulnar release/carpal tunnel and once again it was very hard to get my pain under control. So after realizing that my body has some crazy pain intolerance but yet medicine tolerance like a horse...I tried to educate the anesthaologists (bad spelling) along with my nurses who would tend to me after. Well I was right infront of the nurses station in my bed and after i told the nurse to please not put the oxygen mask over my face until asleep (i am clostrophobic) she told Dr.Butthead my anestia doc and i watched as he drew a pic of me probably with bloodshot eyes-you know the routine I had been stamped a DRUGGIE. I wanted to get the paper out of the trash and boy you all know what a lawsuit that would have been but they gave me versed and i was too relaxed to really concentrate.Now long story short..My surgeon asked if I needed pain meds I said NO i have enough at home, he was nice and still wrote loracet 10 for me and i was shocked to be treated well by him and you guys know if I was a DRUGGIE I would have lied and said no I am out of pain med at home but I said I don't need any. Anyways, when i was waking up and half out of it i was shaking in pain and the nurse said the pain med is coming and i asked while in a brain fog what med is it? Her rude reply was something like phentynol. I said I had never heard of that.She has enough nerve to say,"well it is a very strong drug and you can't get it off the streets or nothing!) Had i been alert enough I would have tore her up and down.That bothered me so much I cried. Even now I cry. Is this normal to have drugs even like hard core inhjectable narcoticts not work because of fibro?I see my surgeon for a follow-up and I am going to let him know the pics that was drawn of me and what the nurse said to me and let him know I could have had that man fired and had a pretty penny settlement but i let it go.I am calling the director on Monday. When i see my Doc back, I am going to tell him you know instead of assuming someone is a drug addict because they are intelligent and educate themselves and know about medicines and medical conditions why not assume they are NOT a druggie and then try to prove that they are.Even with that it is not their profession to play D.E.A officer! Like I said my doc was great it was the nurse and anesthia doc that treated me so awful. So here i am all I had a "plica band" removed and i don't know much about that but i am researching it in a few. The coaltruck that hit me did cause this injury-I know it said if you have blunt force trauma like hitting knee on dash can injur that. So now I have to go cry to my therapists because no one understands my pain med tolerance is high just due to fibro.Matter of fact the doc called me and this morning i about went by ambulance because the pain was so intense and the surgeon said he didn't know why i could feel pain because he injected a numbing medicine. Well honestly YES I FELT PAIN!! Oh and the kicker that is just my luck...I broke my little toe on the opposite leg that was operated on and can hardly walk with crutches. UGHHHHH! I am so tired of trying to justify to doctors why i take all this medicine. It is not right. Oh, and as for sleep? I came home after surgery and never went to sleep for another 8 hours. This is not normal and i am going to schedule a sleep clinic study. Thanks all for reading my book.haha This is such a loving forum. God bless!

Post edited by: sugardrop168, at: 04/20/2008 01:57

Post edited by: sugardrop168, at: 04/20/2008 02:13

Post edited by: sugardrop168, at: 04/20/2008 02:16

Post edited by: sugardrop168, at: 04/20/2008 02:21

Post edited by: sugardrop168, at: 04/25/2008 08:06

04/20/2008 01:57 AM
heatherchelle_2000
Hallveig  

Dear Sugardrop168,

I don't know if your experience with the hard core pain drugs is normal for fibromyalgia or not, but we do tend to have problems with metabolizing drugs. Novocaine has never done much for my pain; it just takes the edge off. I had one idiot dentist who told me he had given me enough novocaine to knock out an elephant. He said the pain was all in my head; it was nothing more than the sound of the drill. With all of my social phobia problems it took me 13 years to get back to a (different) dentist. When I had my wisdom teeth out a year ago, thankfully the anesthetic worked during surgery, but the hydrocodone they gave me for afterward didn't really help the pain. It just made me feel sick and dizzy.

I've also had some experience with idiots in the medical profession who think that people with fibromyalgia are just drug addicts or hypochondriacs. The assumptions that they make about us are wrong, stupid, and insulting. But what's even worse, if you think about it, is how they must be treating their patients who actually have hypochondria or some sort of addiction. Instead of getting up off their butts and doing something useful to help us get treatment for what they think is really wrong with us, they just make snide comments or push us out of the office as fast as they can or make jokes about us amongst themselves. Some folks simply have no business being anywhere near sick people. I wish the healthcare lemons would find another line of work. Waste disposal engineer comes to mind. They couldn't hurt the garbage. (Though I'm not sure I'd trust them to drive the truck!)

I'm sorry you've had such a horrible time. Keep talking to the doctor who is great and to your therapists. Don't listen to the lemons. (I hope they get precisely what they deserve.) You're not the only one who has problems metabolizing drugs. Get well soon, and God bless you!

04/20/2008 08:03 AM
mcbeth
mcbeth  

OMG Heather, I think the light bulb just came on. I had a root canal done a few years ago and felt it. The dentist kept telling me the nerves were dead & I couldn't feel anything. When I kept telling him I could, he got PO'd and threw the utensil and tray across the room.

I have not figured out everything that goes along with fibro, but I'm going to hunt and see if I can find anything in print about fibro and novocaine, then I'm going to take it with me to the dentist. I need to go and have not been since that horrible visit.

Thank you, you are a mind saver

04/20/2008 02:45 PM
sugardrop168
sugardoc  

You know, even though I am new to this forum...I am glad to know there are caring people who I can cry to, vent my anger with, and just poor out my thoughts WITHOUT being judged. This forum is such a blessing and I have no desire to bother with msn chat...even with my family! My own sister and brothers think this is in my head or i am a HC (hypocondriac) my spelling is awful all but you guys can figure it out I am sure. I had a nurse call today and check on me. She was NOT one of the rude crew that treated me but I did tell her about my horrific emtional time at that facility. She said I did email the head of the whole facility even over top of the nursing director. I let her know this was not a revenge report (i am a christian) but more-so to educate the morons in the medical field who think that they know it all about medicine and diseases. Well surprise! I know a little too.I am not a dumb hillbilly. I am a certified phlebotomist (people that draw your blood), a certified Domestic Violence Counselor, and a sexual abuse counselor. Oh and i worked as a bank teller also. They think dumb inbread hillbilly where I live (WV border KY) and no, I graduated from central Ohio and was born and raised there. Thanks all for allowing me to vent and I have a little trouble finding my way around the forum but I am learning. God Bless!

04/23/2008 05:33 AM
herro
herro  

Hi..well, this has been interesting read. i don't post here often, mostly just read. but all this stuff about pain meds not working sounds so familiar. i wonder if this is all fibro related. i have had shoulder surgery 2x with nerve blocks that didn't work. have had many painful visits with the dentist, even with 2-3 shots of novacaine. after my last surgery the anesthegolist(sp) came to see me and told me i have very low tolerance to pain and very very high tolerance to pain meds. he said i was hard patient, in recovery they had to give so much for pain that my breathing became repressed. i wish there was a way to measure pain we feel so drs would know we really feel it. i have been made to feel like a druggy too, it sucks!!

04/24/2008 10:11 AM
sugardrop168
sugardoc  

W00t I think the lightbulb just came on for a few here! Yes i think some of us do have a low pain tolerance and a high pain med tolerance and that is our major problem. I talked with the director of that facility yesterday and told him my whole story and he said to me after the nurse had made the stupid comment about phentynol not being a street drug he says oh that sounded bad didn't it..like in a tone like he was a psychotherapists. I said well let your wife have fibro and you find out someone labeled her a druggie and made rude comments and drew immature pics of her and see how you react. I told him he was lucky my husband didn't jerk dr.sleepy guy (anestia doc) up by the neck and shake him a few times but that was only becuase i didn't tell my husband until i was in recovery ready to leave. needless to say my hubby was ticked. He said he wished i told him sooner but it was best i didn't. All i tried to do through all of this is save myself some pain after surgery be letting the doctors know my condition and how my body was somehow rejecting pain meds. And look how i was treated. I ouht to slap a lawsuit on them because as you can see, i am still upset over all of this. Oh and the director said dr.sleepy guy aka leaberry...was a good dr. now you tell me who is a good doctor that makes fun of his patients by drawing pictures of them? Sounds like a great doctor and i am sure all of you want him # right? oh and i did let the director know that had i got that picture oyut of the trash not only would the police had been there but that great dr.sleepy? He would have no job and i could have easily sued them but like i said i am trying to remain a christian and that is kinda like revenge but in a way it is not due to me emotionally crumbling after my surgery because of the idiots! Thanks all for listening to me gripe.

04/24/2008 02:07 PM
booklady14
booklady14  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I just had a colonoscopy done and screamed through the whole the whole thing. They gave me the same dosage they gave everyone. I informed them that I had a very high tolerance to pain meficine and they might need to increase my dosage.

This was last Thursday in fact so it has been a week. my primary doc wrote some strong rx for me and I;ve just been doped up for the past week.

Even halfway through the procedure the surgeon yelled "we're not running a torture chamber here, give this lady more meds" but by then he was almost done......so in essence I had a colonoscopy with a couple os tylenol. It was horroble! In the future, my doc told me to remind him before any procedures ---to remind him of my tolerence and he would make sure that whoever was dealing with will have been informed.

04/24/2008 03:58 PM
jadecrowe
jadecrowe  

Sugar, i am so sorry you had to go through that. i have had to go to the ER for flareups before, and most of those times i have been treated like a drug seeker so i know first hand how humiliating that must have been for you. *hugs*

there are two or three doctors at our local ER who are knowledgeable about fibro, and two of them know when i come in that morphine isn't going to work. they just go ahead off the bat and order dilaudid for me. it doesn't always kill the pain, but it does make me forget about it for a few hours.

04/24/2008 08:01 PM
sugardrop168
sugardoc  

Thanks all for your responses. Fletcha where you at? To all, when horses are involved-that involves me! Well kinda, I can't ride anymore but love them still, their smell, their looks, their gaites. Beautiful animals. My knee I still have not found a rehab place to help because of no insurance but, my surgery doc did well because most pain is from the surgery now instead of the injury. Soon I will be in rehab and hopefully dancing again!! lol I don't dance anymore. Fibro hugs to all! Bye!

04/25/2008 04:55 AM
herro
herro  

ok, this may sound like a strange torture...maybe drs should do pain/pain meds testing on patients. like give us normal dose and see if we feel,um,needle prick where we can't see it. then increase meds until there is less pain.???i have to have colonoscopy soon and now i am scared. i have had shoulder surgery 2x and nerve block didn't work. last time i had 3 sleepy drs try until i said UNCLE. even my hubby told them, ok, that is enuf! so besides much pain in my shoulder i went home with very sore and bruised neck from getting stuck at least 12x. now, that is torture! Have a sunny day!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved