MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/31/2009 08:56 PM

Do you always do what your doc recommends

stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I saw the cardiologist today (yep, it's still today) and he wants me to have a heart procedure done that I am very frightened to have done. He wants to do cardiac ablation, where they basically kill off part of the heart to make it stop beating too fast. I recently had a 24 hour holter monitor and my heart rate went up to 264 beats per minute and my average was 111. And of course you know we (I guess I should speak for myself) don't really do that much to get our heart rate up. Especially in the middle of the night!! Hopefully it was caused from a nightmare, not just on its own. I am thinking of getting a 3rd opinion. This was my second opinion. Thanks!

Hugs~

Christine

08/31/2009 09:07 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Wow--how scary for you! I tend to obey my doctors but I think you getting a third opinion this time might be the prudent choice. If you don't think you need the surgery though and that the results were skewed, ask to repeat the test.

But hearts don't grow on trees! You're too young to wear yours out...please be careful and safe Smile

blessings

08/31/2009 09:14 PM
Sonni
Sonni  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I can only speak for myself as I'm not a doctor. For instance, if I feel uncomfortable about something my doctor brings up, I usually ask them for time to allow me to evaluate, research and if needed, get a second opinion if I don't feel comfortable with a procedure, medication etc... I need to feel at ease with any and all medical situations, in order to continue with whatever happens to come next...

I wish you all the best!

Sonni

09/01/2009 03:44 AM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

{{{{Christine}}}}

Wow, you are scaring even me , talking about this procedure !!!

Since you have had a second opinion, is there anyone that has already had this procedure done that you could talk to about it ?

If not, then I think I would either not have it or ... try one more dr.

In answer to your actual question here, I would have to say ""yes, I normally DO so what my PCP/Rhuemy advise"" BUT ... I have never had anything life threatening or concerning my heart.

My prayers are with you to make the decision that is right for you ~~~

Marilyn

09/01/2009 10:46 AM
shortstuff116
shortstuff116  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Christine, I just had this done, July 6th. It's no big deal. You will be knocked out and you will not feel a thing.

They make a small incision in your groin or the side of your neck and run a small wire with a camera on the end of it and they look at your heart. With me I had an extra vessel in my heart that shouldn't have been there, so they used the Ablation, to destory that part of my heart. You will not know what is going on. I wore a heat monitor for 21 days so they could see what was going on with me. The heart monitor didn't show anything except the fact that my heart was beeping funny and the reason for that was the extra vessel in my heart. They thought with the extra vessel going to my heart and everytime my heart would beat, the extra vessel was causing too much blood for my heart to beat out, which that was causing me to be real tired. I didn't even know that I had it. My cardiologist said it has been there since birth and it just raised it's ungly head now, with age.

Hon, If I can go through this, then you can. It will be an over-night stay in the hospital because you have to lay flat for 24 hours after they do this. I know you will be fine. I hate hospitals & needles. You will be fine. You have my prayers and my support. If you need anything more, I'm here for you. God BLess You. shortstuff

09/01/2009 11:00 AM
River
River  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

WOW I think this is scary too. NO I do not always do what my doctors say to do. I am praying for youand will continue to do so. What abbout a pace maker?? HUGS River

09/01/2009 11:33 AM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

Wow Shortstuff! Thank you for the explanation...I don't know if it helped Christine, but it calmed me...

If you've had two doctors tell you that you need this and you trust them (you HAVE to trust your cardiologist) then you should have the surgery. It's got to be better than the uncertainty you're experiencing now. Good luck sweetie!

09/01/2009 11:53 AM
stillhopeful
stillhopeful  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Thank you so much for all the support everyone! Shortstuff, it makes me feel better know that I know someone that had the procedure. These opinions I had are both new cardiologists because mine retired. That's what makes me scared. Sometimes, in my (scaredy cat (sp) mind, I wonder if doctors are too quick to jump into surgery. I had a cardiac nurse ask me if they mentioned a pacemaker. That confused me a little more. My PCP wants me to go to a big hospital to have this done, and neither of these doc's were at a big hospital. One of the docs I went to is a vascular surgeon and recommended trying an older beta blocker med that were different that the ones I developed allergies to earlier on with this same problem. Actually the doc yesterday gave me one of those meds, but the pharmacist knowing of my allergies to beta blockers recommended I only take 1/2 pill this am, which I did. I really can feel a difference in the way my heart is beating. I don't have the tightness I usually do. However, in the long run....I think ablation may be the route I have to go. It's probably the best solution, but I am going to try to get into the U of M and seek their opinion. Sometimes, they say three's a charm, well....maybe I should seek a third opinion.

Shortstuff, do you mind me asking where you had yours done?? My PCP wants me to have it done at a large hospital because of all my other health issues, Systemic Lupus, asthma, diabetes, and many more....too many to mention. She felt that if I had any complications at all, the larger hospital would be the place for me because they have lots of specialsts there. If you want to PM me with that info, please feel free.

Thanks bunches all of my wonderful friends!!!!

Lots of Hugs~

Christine

09/01/2009 12:49 PM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

No matter how inconvenient it is, I vote BIG hospital!! Always.

09/01/2009 02:09 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I vote big hospital too. While most procedures go fine, I'm more of a better safe than sorry girl. I know an infant who had this done due to tachycardia that couldn't be controlled. He's fine now.

In response to your initial question though, no I don't. For the most part yes, but every now and then no. For example, my rheumy wants me to take an anti inflamm that has a side effect of fetal deformaty and death. While I'm not planning on getting pregnant, I wasn't with my oldest either. I'm not taking something that has little benefit and risking that.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved