MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/30/2009 12:15 PM

No locations given

homesickgranny
homesickgranny  

I have noticed that a lot of new comers do not give the area in which they live. This makes it hard for us to give referances of help in their areas. Some of may know good doctors , service agencies ect for them to check into but by not even knowing their state we are unable to help.

08/30/2009 01:13 PM
Nitalynn
Nitalynn  

They may feel insecure till they get to know us a little better. I know when I first got on here I did not put out a lot of info on myself till I got more comfortable with the site.

08/30/2009 02:32 PM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

I was that way when I first joined I had never been on a group site befor and was frankly scared..I agree when people get more comfortable they will share more..

08/30/2009 05:34 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I think location is important (to those wishing to help) but I can also understand it can be rather scary when someone is new to the group.

I guess what we need to do if we think we having information to help someone (locally) might be to PM them and ask.

I have my state in my profile but that is because I have (since 1997 when we first got internet) met in person some of the most wonderful friends within about 50 or so miles from our home.

Marilyn

08/31/2009 04:53 AM
Mispati3
Mispati3  

This forum is open for the entire world to read if they so choose. Some people are reluctant to give out persoanl information such as location, and rightly so. There are some weirdos in the world. Me, I don't really care. I kinda doubt any weirdo is going to track me to my home, and if they did, hubby has a shotgun, lol. I too, have met several internet friends in person and wouldn't trade the experience for the world!

08/31/2009 04:58 AM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I agree, Pati,

About 10 or so years ago, hubby and I did a lot of traveling to online groups and met friends from all over the country.

We are still in contact with a great friend in Australia as well as several Canadian friends .

Like you, I wouldn t trade the experiences for anything ....

Marilyn

08/31/2009 07:47 AM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Granny, it's so good to have you back with us Smile We always miss you when you're not around.

I agree with the others. They'll share more when they get comfortable with us Smile

It is really fun having friends all over the world, isn't it? I talk regularly with one friend in Australia and another in England. In addition to the ones we have here in the states Smile What's fun is figuring out the time differences and working around those! LOL!

08/31/2009 09:33 AM
homesickgranny
homesickgranny  

Thank you all for responces. I guess I never thought of those reasons. And yes it is so good to be back. I have had a hard time catching up on all the new members but am so glad to see our groups grow. I recently told my Rheumy how many members we had and she was amazed, as I am the first and only Fibromyte she has met.Love and hugs to all

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved