MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/21/2009 10:46 AM

Stress and Fibromyalgia

arksw
arksw  

I've been reading lots of articles about this disease. Some medical folks say it is possibly caused by prolonged or extreme stress. I can say that that is something I dealt with for many many years but don't know if that is the cause of these symptoms. '

I'm curious as to how many of those in this forum have had serious stress in their earlier years, or a tramatic event?

I do know that stress increases the symptoms. But I have very very little stress in my life now. But the

fibro has been kicking my butt lately. If this is "all in my head" how do you get it out?

Hope everyone is having a good day.

SharonTongue

08/21/2009 11:28 AM
suni19

Well a lot of times, I think we know more than the doctors about Fibromyalgia. At least that has been my experience!! At least we are the ones in pain and trying to live our lives.

I don't really know of a traumatic event per se in my case. I had disabled parents, and grew up fast. I also worked a lot.

I do know some people has issues after car accidents and such.

One doctor did tell me that if he has 2 patients, 1 with Fibro...they will take twice as long to recover from most anything as the patient without Fibro. He said now that he knows that, he treats accordingly.

08/21/2009 11:30 AM
Mispati3
Mispati3  

I hope you are, too, Sharon.

I believe that stress is why I developed fibro. I won't go into details but it lasted 3-4 years. I thought I was handling things just fine, then it seems like one day, I blew a gasket.

It would be nice, but I doubt that being stress-free now is going to reverse the fibro. We just have to go on from here. Smile

08/21/2009 12:12 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hey, Sharon. Stress can cause a flare, but it's not the only thing. Unfortunately, it's not like if we remove stress from our lives the fibro goes away. It's a lot more complicated than that.

I did go through three years of tremendous stress right before I got sick. Clint tends to think that's why I got it. My doctor actually tends to think that it was a viral infection of some sort, so mild that I didn't even know I had it.

Mispati is absolutely right, though. We just have to move on from here. One way to do that is to always remember that there is hope. I'm convinced that with the right doctor and the right treatments we can all find tremendous improvement in our conditions, even if it's not possible for everyone to get completely better.

08/21/2009 12:35 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

I was not stressed before fibro at all however I did have two surgeries right before my major symptoms started. Looking back I think I had it for awhile but it was mild before the surgery. Stress will not help, that's for sure. I know my pain can get worse if I'm stressed. I hope you feel better soon Smile

Connie

08/21/2009 05:51 PM
ljb

Still learning about my body and fibromyalgia. Mammy's response is very timely, as I will be having cataract surgery Monday, and was wondering if this would cause a flare. Whether I flare or not, at least I can be aware of the possibility. Thanks, Mammy, for sharing.

08/21/2009 06:08 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Well, mine began after tramatic events. I was 4. Stress does make things worse, but so do alot of other things. Viruses, extreme weather, lack of sleep, etc.

08/21/2009 06:59 PM
naddya819
naddya819  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hi Sharon, and welcome to the family! I'm sort of still new here myself, and maybe some of the others will correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems that a lot of fibro people are type A personalities, in other words, over-achievers, people who tend to have (or create, in some cases!) a lot of stress in their lives. Could that be a cause? Possibly. But my husband said this to me the other day, when we were having a very similar discussion: what does it matter why unless knowing why can fix it. Coming from a dude, rather fitting.

<Just don't tell him I said so...>

08/22/2009 10:25 AM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hello Sharon,

Welcome to our Fibro family ~~~ we re happy to have you with us.

Yes, I tend to agree with those that say Fibro is caused by severe stress.

I had 4 (and maybe even more) years of severe stress to the point that I was living someone elses' life as well as my own. Too lengthy to go into here and now but I have never had (since) such stress as during that time.

As for trauma causing Fibro, I can t say one way or the other there as I ve had normal surgeries and accidents over the years but am not attributing the Fibro to them.

I ve just come to terms with Fibro and decided to let it live with me but not rule my life. Smile

Marilyn

08/22/2009 10:58 AM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

LJB, welcome to our fibro family! I'm so happy that you've joined us.

Are you having surgery on both eyes? They would only do it one at a time anyway, wouldn't they? I do hope you'll keep us posted.

Please make yourself at home here. Post away to your heart's content. You'll make all kinds of amazing friends that way.

Please keep us posted as much as possible on your surgery and how you're doing Smile

Newbie hugs!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved