MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/13/2008 05:13 PM

Support From normals

cadburry
cadburry  

Ok I was just thinking of some of the things people who don't have Fibro have told me to try and make me feel better. Right now I'm feeling foggy so I'll tell the ones I can remember.

From an online friend~ Get better soon.

From my best friend~ Don't think about it and you will feel better.

From my doctor~ Loose weight and you will feel better, your weights probably causing you all this pain (to this I'm thinking as my doctor don't you see that since I have been left to suffer I have gained all this weight)

What have normals told you when they were trying to be supportiveBlink

04/13/2008 05:37 PM
JustAnnie
JustAnnie  

Good Post! lets see what haven't they told me...

You should excersize more, it will take the pain away.

If you dieted and lost some weight, you wouldn't be so depressed and in pain.

Lots of people don't feel good and they go to work and keep moving. Why can't you. You would feel better if you would just keep busy.

( I have 4 kids at home, isn't that staying busy enough???Blink Not to mention we liveon a farm

04/13/2008 05:51 PM
zakaroo
TuffyPosts: 233

Or how about this one: You don't work...wow you have all this time at home to do things...sure wish I could stay home !!!!

Get out and get some fresh air...you'll feel better!!

Get up and do something ~ you'll feel better for it.

Or on a Fibro Fog day....Use some common sense..geez, this is simple!

Or this one: Whats your problem...your always in a bad mood!

Ha, my sister doesn't even have a CLUE of what I go through. I'm not that close to my sisters due to alot of misunderstanding of what I go through daily. I come from a family of 5...2 step brothers that died within the last 5 yrs..one with a massive stroke, and one committed suicide as he "Couldn't take the pain or humiliation of being wheelchair bound anymore". My 2 older sisters (I am the baby) do not have an 8th of the health problems I do and they just have no sympathy or ""Understanding"" of what I go through on a daily basis. I too really strongly resent the comments from Non-Fibbies. I'd probably get more understanding if I was in a wheelchair and unable to do 'anything'. Don't you just hate that? BUT, in some ways, their non chalant comments make me stronger at times. Oh yeah? well let me show you I can do this!! But then I pay for my stubbornness! Can't win for losing I guess. Someday this disease will be well known and then people will understand that even though it is not a 'visible illness', we still suffer greatly because of it.

04/13/2008 06:00 PM
Red2
Red2  

I agree with ALL the above! My family (not my hubby) is especially bad about trying to get me out to do things.....you will feel much better if you would just get out. But, I just don't get out much. So now, they have started giving me two weeks "notice" trying to get me to go out somewhere with them. They say they thought they would give me plenty of notice so I could just PLAN on going out....as if planning helps anything. They don't seem to understand that I don't know how I will feel from one minute to the next. They just seem to think I'm being lazy or just don't plan well enough. They also don't realize that getting out does not make me feel better. I have to rest well before and it knocks me out for awhile after. They just don't get to see these times!! I do get out as much as possible, but on my own terms, and when I feel like it. I have kids, so I really limit activities in order to have energy left to take care of them. This isn't because I necessarily want to....I have to.

I too hope one day people will be able to understand what this does to us. Smile

04/13/2008 06:07 PM
JLCarter

Lets see...from one of my doctors:I dont think your goofy enough to have Fibro Get exercise Lose weight stop being so miserable,it just makes matters worse Aren't you EVER in a good mood? Your so moody Your lazy Why dont you get up and move around? Its ridiculous how much you lay around.....I cant remember the rest.But friends,family,co-workers,and your children and husbands can be brutal!...OH,I remember the best one:Its all in your head!!!! Thats my favorite!

04/13/2008 06:12 PM
teri hayes
teri hayes  

i go to my lawnchair on sunny warm days and i go inthe chicken coop on cold dreary days(heat lamp).i go to the kitchen for coffee and i occasionally take a shower. if it were up to me that is all i would do everyday. people don't realize the stress of getting up to go out where others are going to say all of the stupid stuff listed above and stress us out even more. this alone is tiring and causes pain not to mention actually making it out the door. i save my energy for my little farm. baby chickens and baby pigs need to be held and loved. big pigs and chickens need to be scratched and loved and held. i have two dogs that need attention and lots of love. then there is my husband, he needs all of the above. so i tell every one i don't go out i don't anything very physical and i'm not pleasant to be around. that usually keeps them from torturinng me.

good luck with the norms

huggs

teri

04/13/2008 06:12 PM
Nanaof4
Nanaof4  

Yeah, I think the biggest thing - the NOT UNDERSTANDING! Most don't even TRY to understand or even WANT to for that matter.

"Boy you sure seem sick or not well or under the weather alot"!!! DUH, ya think! LOL

"I mean you don't even want to do FUN things...what is up with that"!!!

again DUH! Smile

People just REALLY don't get it!!! If I'm not feeling well enough to do FUN things...shouldn't that tell ya something????

04/13/2008 06:25 PM
JLCarter

EXACTLY!!!!!!My husband is one of the worst offenders!He comes home from work,he goes straight into the bedroom,changes,and lays down...cause HES TIRED!He says to me;I worked all day,Im exausted.I just wanna lay down and relax/rest for a while.Ok,I understand,I know what its like to go to work,and come home exausted.But when I come home...Im lucky if I get changed,before hes asking if we are going to the mall to walk around,or to go food shopping.THE MALL?FOR GODS SAKE,THATS THE LAST THING IM THINKING ABOUT!And when I mention resting or laying down,there is ATTITUDE!!!!!I wanna smack him upside the head,and tell him he is being unfair,and demanding without being understanding to my needs.I work all day,sometimes 9-10 hr days...and I am hurting badly when I get home!I can give a crap less about any mall,or shopping.

04/13/2008 06:58 PM
cadburry
cadburry  

Oh yes, I have heard the IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD one before,

and this one too, YOUR DEPRESSED AND THATS WHAT IS CAUSING YOUR PAIN.All of which came from a doctor.

Then my boyfriend says, YOU NEVER WANT TO DO ANYTHING ANYMORE and I used to hear YOUR LAZY, JUST LOOK AT THIS HOUSE, DON'T YOU WATCH THE KIDS. ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS SIT IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER.

Well yeah I want to sit in front of the computer it beats staring at a wall. I don't like watching TV much so this is what I do. I like to read, but havn't felt well enough to go to the library in a while to get some good books.

04/13/2008 07:14 PM
JLCarter

LOL...Im sorry,Im not laughing at you cadburry,it was just so funny when you said it beats staring at wall because I was just able to get a computer a few months ago,and since I found our group...I been on the computer as much as I can.And my husband is always sighing when he walks in the door from work.Like hes PO'd that Im on line.Well thats too bad,I have to get my support from someone,ya know?And theres his famous remarkLaughingo you ever feel good,cause all you ever do is complain! Boy I love that one!!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved