MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/01/2009 12:20 PM

FM- Is the body seperate from the physical being?

Alisha2086
Alisha2086  

I know many people say mind over matter. But, for me personally my mind is extremly powerful and my physical can't keep up. I think I can do something in my mind but my body tells me something different. I am really trying to listen to my body. I don't want to overwork it and get sicker.

Does anybody else feel this way?

08/01/2009 12:30 PM
hopefull1
hopefull1  
VIP Member

My mind is usually willing it's my body that slows me down. Smile

08/01/2009 12:33 PM
Alisha2086
Alisha2086  

Same here!!Smile

08/01/2009 04:05 PM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

yeah same here and there are many many any days I push it to the exterme!!!

08/01/2009 10:35 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I think it is as been said, The mind is willing, though the body is unable.

While I am sick it is easy to not overdo. However, when I have a good day, that is when it becomes difficult to stay within "my" limits.

I think my mind can fool me. While having a good day(s), I want to believe all my sickness has gone. Never to return again. After all how could I be sick when "today" has been so good?

Kind of like having the flu then getting over it and returning to preflu days. That is what my mind is saying.

I have to remember I am sick. I am sick. I am sick. So, I try very hard to have a wonderful time on the good days, but still stay within limits. If I do, then I am not paying for over-extending myself.

When I have over-extended self, I can not think of one instance it was worth it. Not a clean house, vacationing, shopping all day, feeding a family get-together of 20 or more. Nothing.

I am much happier staying withi my limits.

I already hurt so bad, and over-extending multiplies the pain.

I like to sit back and think about the good day and how happy I am...even if it was only a few hours of freedom.

I do not like my great memories blackened by my pain. That takes away all the joy for me. And I wish I had never did it.

I can still have a ball on good day and keep the memories joyful.

Hugs

08/01/2009 10:54 PM
Sonni
Sonni  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I totally agree with what everyone else said. Sometimes 'mind over matter' works, but you have to know your limitations. When you cross over your limit line, your body will react in ways you've never thought of. Your body will let you know.

Fibro Hugs to you!

08/01/2009 11:08 PM
gratefulmj

I experience FM like that pervasive albatross hung on the neck of the Mariner in the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. In particular as Wordsworth would later critique: about the character of the Mariner, "that he does not act, but is continually acted upon."

I feel like FM is altering me from an actor, to someone who is as Wordsworth acclaimed "continually acted upon."

But, I know in my soul, I will release this agonizing albatross and watch it transform into a delightful lesson; another chapter, one of many in this magnificent journey that is my life.

Hugs to all,

MJ

08/01/2009 11:27 PM
Alisha2086
Alisha2086  

Thanks my fellow fibromites!! Its just so hard because I'm only 23. I feel so young and vibrant in my mind but my body feels like its 10-15 years older.

I feel guilty because I went to college and obtained my bachelors but its like how do I use it w/ my fm. I got through college w/ ic and fm. I got hired right out of college working auto insurance claims and I was hospitalized 3x within 1 year of working full time. I feel at my age I should be able to have 2 jobs if I want to but I can't b/c of fm,ic and ibs.

08/01/2009 11:40 PM
Ginag
Ginag  
I'm an Advocate

I heard...mind over matter...if you don't mind it don't matter loll I hear what you are saying. My body sends mixed messages. Sometimes it says "go for it" and my brain gets all these wild ideas. Then my body says "just foolin'"

08/02/2009 12:36 AM
Alisha2086
Alisha2086  

Ginag- I like that saying lol. I just hate the mixed messages because it makes me a wish washy person. I'm finally getting to the point where I can say I don't know what my future holds. This is very hard for me since as a type A personality I like to be in control and with FM there is no such thing as control. It is so unpredictable.

I learned in a child psychology class in college that women are programmed to forget the level of pain during labor because if we remembered we would not give birth again. I truly believe this is similar to FM, IC,IBS etc. I could be in so much pain in the morning, take some pain meds and later that day feel much better. I will completely forget about the pain early that day. I have been hospitalized and in horrible pain but 2-3 weeks later when I'm feeling good I'm talking bout having a baby, trying to go for a promotion etc. I have had doctors tell me that I just went through a horrible ordeal but its crazy because its like I can't remember the pain eventhough I know I went through it.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved