MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/30/2009 10:28 AM

I just joined.. any help welcomed srry - long(page 2)

tracy6878
tracy6878  
VIP Member

oops...i forget alot...

07/30/2009 01:36 PM
shortstuff116
shortstuff116  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

woot, WELCOME! I am so sorry that you are going through this but, I know what you are going through. I have ben dealing with Fibro since 1988. Back then no one had any idea what Fibro was or how to find out if that's what you had or not. So I suffered with the pain until Sept. of last year. I have been to every doctor that you can think of and it wasn't until I saw an Ortho doctor and he said there was nothing he could do for me but, told me that I needed to see a Rheumatologist. So he gave me some names of Rheumy's and I called and made an appt. with one. I had no idea what Fibro. was, or how I was going to deal with it or how it was going to affect my life, all I knew was that I needed answers to my pain.

When this doctor did all his test and came in and told me that I have Fibromyalgia, I was relieved at first because I had a name for what was wrong with me, then the fear set in, How do I go on with this, what am I going to do?, How do I get rid of this?. Needless to say, there is no cure, but there are meds that can make you comfortable with your pain. I for one do not like taking pills But, I have to have all that I'm taking just to get through my days. If I miss any of my pills, I really know it. And it takes too long for them to kick in on the pain.

Fibromyalgia is REAL and it's not all in your head that you are making things up just for pain meds. I had 3 doctots tell me that It was all in my head and that I needed to see a shrink, or one told me that I was making all these things up for attention. It is not all in your head, IT IS REAL. You are not alone anymore. You have come to the right place. I completely understand what you are going through, But you are not alone. Hang in there. If you just want to talk PM me and I will help you get through this. Don't give up, We are all here to help you. God Bless You. shortstuff

07/30/2009 04:01 PM
hopefull1
hopefull1  
VIP Member

Woot, it sounds like you are just taking the pills out of desperation for relief. If you could find some sort of structure to give you some decent sleep the pain would come under control. It sounds like the pills aren't going to work until you get proper rest. I have chronic insomnia and have had it since I was 16. The best thing I have come up with is 2-3 benadryl with 2 muscle relaxers. That's enough to give me 4-5 hours of sleep most nights. Sometimes I will pop another benadryl when I wake up and it will give me a couple more hours of sleep. Some of the gals take benadryl with melatonin and 5htp. That really seems to work as well. You might be like me, there isn't a sleeping pill that will put me to sleep. My other suggestion is for you to apply for disability asap. Have your doctor write a letter vouching for you and get an attorney that deals only in disability. A lot of people on the sight use Allsup with great results. You should also consider some counseling. Does your family belong to a church? Or you could contact Catholic Charities and they will charge based on income. You really need to take some deep breaths and then put together an attack plan. Once you are getting sleep and have a little money coming in you will get back on track.

07/30/2009 04:49 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

wOOt, you may have started taking the pills for the pain, but it does sound like you have a major addiction going. One is, of course, going to exacerbate the other.

I might have a suggestion that could work for you, though. Recent studies have shown that medications used to treat opiate addiction actually may help fibro pain. I started suboxone a little over a month ago and my pain is essentially gone.

I would really strongly urge you to sit down and have an honest talk with your doctor. Your pain wasn't being treated adequately and it led to the addiction. Maybe this drug, or the other one in use, low dose naltrexone, would help you.

I would also suggest rehab. Because until you get off this roller coaster, you're not going to find any relief. When you take that many pills in that short of a time, then go without, it increases the pain. Rehab could help with that.

Tina

07/30/2009 05:03 PM
emendoza23
emendoza23  

Woot, as you can see, these ladies are very well spoken, they have said so many great things already, I just want to say Welcome to this great group of Fibro Angels.

Stay with us and get to learn who everyone is, you will be glad you did.

Elizabeth

07/30/2009 05:04 PM
Sonni
Sonni  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome Newbies!

You've come to the right place! The Group Leaders here are knowledgeable and willing to help. I can't wait to get to know ya'!

Praying for Pain Free days ahead...

Sonni

07/31/2009 04:35 AM
w00t

hey thanks everyone for all the responses.. here i am against unable to sleep, sigh :/ anyhow i talked to my mom about it and we decided to go to the pain management doctor but first go to the doctor i am seeing now and like you said have a honest talk with him and see what to do, maybe even let him treat me if he will. well i took two lortabs a day maybe 3 some days for 2 years.. and that seemed to do a pretty decent amount of good for my pain.. the problem is once i lost my job i decided i would quit the pain pills cause i figured i would get better cause at the time i thought it was carpal tunnel or some repetative injury. now let me tell you, that was the worst thing that has ever happend to me going off my pills. the thing is now, i know it may sound weird, that im not addicted to them anymore therefore i just pop as many as i want to try to feel better day by day and just deal w/ it when i run out since its not as big of a deal i dont have any withdrawl syptoms i just feel worse then usual (when im taking the pills) im sure going on the rollercoaster is defintnly not helping me get the pain under control so thats why my mom decided to help me pay for that rediculousy expensive pain mngmt doctor. i go see my regular doctor monday and ill break it down for him cause i cant get into the other doctor for two months.. so hopefuly he can help me out till then and im gonna start focusing on a plan to actualy try to regulate my problems n such.. i mean its gettin bad like im about to mentaly lose it. 5th day with like 2 hours a sleep a nite. its almost like i forgot how to sleep. but my mom just came in here and intereupted me lol writing this with her 'plan for me' so yea anwyays im gonna try to get something structed' out.. so yea thanks for the comments Smile

07/31/2009 06:41 AM
Sxymommy
Sxymommy  

Glad You have you an action plan in mind and best of luck! JUST KEEP SWIMMING!

08/02/2009 09:07 PM
w00t

update: well i managed to get my pain pills filled friday and i switched to sevala from cymbalta either friday or thrusday as well.. by friday i wasnt even sure if my pain pills would fix my insomnia cause i was feeling so bad.. well throughout the week my mom saw how bad i was doing and insisted that i go to my doctor, and if needed start going to that really expensive pain management doctor and offered to help me - pay for it and stuff. my dad had been out of town all week and she wanst in a pissy mood as much as usual and as her typical personality she only cares if you suffering and its obvious so she was 'feeing bad for me' and wanted to help. so i made an appointment for monday and she said she wanted to go with and help me explain to my doctor so he knows i have support and understanding and stuff.. well friday and saturday i managed to sleep for 12-14 hours each (probably making up for the 10 hours of sleep combined all week). i think i stated before my mom likes to blame everything that is wrong with me on stuff, espeicaly computers, and she is really flacky how she feels about it she will change her mind consantly. well she decided she was going to help me come up with a plan to deal with everything, especially my sleeping problem first, and said ' dont worry about when you sleep or for how long, you dont have school for two weeks so just sleep whenever you can'. well apparently me sleeping for more then 12 hours for two days wasnt acceptable to her, and not only did she magicaly stop caring about my situation, but started being angry with me like i was some sort of huge burdon for sleeping upstairs all day. she starts ranting about how i cant sleep because i wake up and 'see light' which wakes me up, and that i have allergies cause i have a turtle in my room, and how my bed is too soft, and blah blah blah. clearly, i have nothing medicaly wrong with me.. its just alot of these lil things that 'make up the big picture'. i know all of the things she says obvoiously would help sleep, im not stupid but there is a much deeper problem, then waking up to a light from my cable box in my room. (not to mention i sleep with a pillow ase over my eyes cause i cant stand light during the day). well not only is she all the sudden lack of caring, but bitter towards me, she starts blaming her allergies on the turtle i have in my room cause its so 'moldy'. well let me give you a little background on my mom. she has probably 200 quilts stacked in random rooms/places.. she insists on buying antique crap nonstop, ceramic fish, prolly 200 of them all over the walls throughout the house. 50 cats, 50 birds, 10 dogs.. just to get the rough idea, she insists on obessing over things and could care less about anyone else - getting her and my dad into near bankruptcy at all times. well she has allergies, and clearly all these animals arent her allergic problems, its my turtle in my room right? so, before i moved in, i made it very clear to her - she used to have my sister and my best friend who used to live here clean up after all these animals for 'rent'. i told her, i would never, under any circumstances clean up after any of her animals for any reason. it is a sick obession and she abuses them as far as im concerned. so i mind my own buisness and as long as they dont affect me i dont worry, i had to literaly put a window air conditioning unit in my room because in their brilliance they hooked the upstairs air conditioning to their backyard patio that they enclosed to keep 50 birds and 20 cats, they keep soem of the cats split up into groups cause they dont get along. well that means, the upstairs air conditioning is a nonstop flow of animal filth into the house. yes, i am allergic to animals, espeicaly cats, if i touch a cat and rub my eye, it will swell shut pretty much. so i try to stay in my room and mind my own buisness. well like i said not only did she magicaly stop caring about my situation, she got so bitter, that she starts telling me how im going to have to clean up after all these animals to live here. obvioulsy me and my dad know and she knows, but she has severe mental issues so she tries to act like this for who knows why, that i will nevr do it and all shes trying to do is pick a fight. well my doctor appointment is tommorow. basicaly the plan was to stick with this doctor till i can go see the pain management doctor in two months. well clearly, this isnt a great idea, since i cant afford it if they dont pay for it, and with her, its going to just be this constant strugle, and ill probably end up not being able to see him, and having to go back to my orignal doctor? basicaly she is about to complicte my issue alot more. now i dont know what to do, either way i need to go see my doctor, but now i dont want my mom to go, and i basicaly need to beg him to treat me long term cause i cant afford a 300$ a month pain management doctor with no job and no insurance. overall i feel alot better, i havent been abusing my pain pills so far very badly, i take a lil more then im supposed to but nothing like 10 a day.. maybe 4-5 instead of 3 a day like im supposed to.. the sevela im feeling light headed like i do if i skip a day with my anti depressants in the past, which i think is increasing my fatigue and sleeping so much. i dont know if its just because it is a differnet anti depressant or i am not taking a high enough dose. when i switched from effexor to cymbalta i didnt notice any problems at all. anyways, basicaly i dont know what to do, the idea of having family be supportive was nice, but i dont really think my mom is mentally stable enough to rely on for anything, and my dad is to scared of her to stand up to her. so, im stuck in this nightmare sitting in my tiny room on my bed with my laptop all day hoping ill magicaly feel better. i am hoping to start tommorw waking up at a decent time, having a strict diet and sleep schedule and stuff and try to get everything under control and not take more then 3 pain pills a day. im also affraid i have ruined my relatinship with my doctor now and he will be reluctant to treat me.. if so im pretty much totaly screwed (all of this is why i was so destraught last week). i really have no real hope for any future help, or longterm releif by dealing with it on any scale because my life is just so complicated and hectict the way it is (of course if my mom read this she would just think im being silly and make fun of me because, clearly my problems arent that big of a deal, right?). i dunno what to do, if anyone has any advice how to deal with these imediate problems it would be much appreciated. thanks

-michael

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved