MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/19/2009 03:00 PM

health insurance

cricketpest

Ijust spent 2 days in the hospital. I now owe 20,000.

and I have no health insurace. Everytime I try to get insurance they say that I am uninsurable. I am so upset I have no idea where I am going to get the money for this bill. I have not been able to work for the last 10 years. Please if anyone know a insurance companies that will insure be please let me know. cricketSad Sad

Post edited by: cricketpest, at: 07/19/2009 03:01 PM

07/19/2009 04:25 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Ok. First off don't panic or let it upset you. Then contact your hospital and ask if they have a charity program. Most do. Ask for a form. They'll send it to you and you can fill it out. They will then process it and take either all of it off or most of it depending on your income. Lastly if that doesn't work, ask to set up a payment plan. Pay $5 a month and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it.

07/19/2009 06:10 PM
hopefull1
hopefull1  
VIP Member

Hatbox is right. Most of it should be taken care of and whatever is left you can put on a payment plan.

07/20/2009 05:09 PM
cricketpest

thank for for the information. I will contact the hospital. It so nice to have people that are going through the same thing understand.

07/20/2009 05:18 PM
Ginky

If you do not work and you do not have health insurance, you should be eligible for Medicaid. Once applied, they will back date this to cover your hospital stay. You should contact them ASAP!

I can not believe they did not review this with you in the hospital. You need to apply for Medicaid now.

Good luck!

07/20/2009 06:05 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Ginky, even with outstanding medical bills a lot of people are ineligible for medicaid. My hubby makes too much money. We had medical insurance, but I chose to drop it in December. It was simply too expensive. 120/week and then all the copays. Plus they were increasing all of the copays across the board this year, starting to charge for tests where before they did not.

What on earth was the sense in carrying medical insurance when we couldn't afford the copays?!

Plus, don't forget, the 120 a week is only what we paid. Hubby's company was paying an equal amount. It ought to be a crime.

Furious hugs, Tina

07/20/2009 06:59 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Ginky, welcome to the Wonderful World of Mighty Fibromites! I didn't realize that you had only just joined us. It's an honor to meet you.

I do hope that you'll make yourself at home here and post away to your heart's content. I would certainly love the opportunity to get to know you.

Now here's your proper welcome!

Newbie hugs, Tina

07/20/2009 08:17 PM
emendoza23
emendoza23  

Welcome Cricket.

Hatbox is so right! Contact the business office of your hospital and fill out all the required paperwork. They should have a program in place for people that do not work at all and have no medical insurance.

I am like Tina, my husband makes too much money for any of the programs, and I do not have insurance, so hatbox is correct when it comes to putting it all into a payment plan and agreeing to pay, $25 a month. As long as you pay, your credit will be ok.

I sure hope you are feeling better from your hospital stay. Were you in the hospital from anything Fibro related?

Elizabeth

07/20/2009 10:50 PM
shortstuff116
shortstuff116  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Cricket, Welcome to our group. I am so happy that you are here. Have to filed for disability? If so, then you should be able to have medicare or medicade. When you are on disability you are automatically eligible for insurance. You need to call and find out why you have no medical insurance. Hope this helps. God Bless You. shortstuff

07/21/2009 09:42 AM
fesup
fesupPosts: 3851
VIP Member

Hello and Welcome to both cricketpest and ginky.

That is some really good advice there fellow fibromites!!!

Glad to have you both join the group. There is a lot of info for you here. Looking forward to getting to know you both.

A big HELLO and a warm WELCOME from me to YOU!

fessy

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved