MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/27/2008 12:49 PM

Weight Loss & Medicines

AngelBooze
AngelBooze  

[i]Unsure I was hoping that someone in this group would know how to lose weight with Fibromyalgia. I have alot of meds with the side affects of Weight gain. Eleven years ago I weighed only 120lbs. and now I am clear up to 176lbs. If anyone has any ideas how they stay so nice and lean please please let me know. I know that this weight gain has increased the pain in my hips and legs. I hope that one of you can help a sister fibro.

Thanks,

Rita

03/27/2008 12:53 PM
Sandi

If you know I want to know too. I'm right there with you Rita. 125 lbs to 175 lbs in less than 2 years.

Sandi

03/27/2008 01:17 PM
jgamble409

I'm like the rest of you before I was diagnosed I had lost 80 lbs. on weight watchers. Then I lost the left side of my hair and starting hurting all over so went to my doctor who then sent my tests to Mayo. Well we all know that result. So now after a year and a half I have gained back 20 lbs. and my knees are killing me and I feel that people are saying that they knew I couldn't keep it off but not all Goddesses are thin plus their is more of me to love. Smile Except that I don't feel like it. I have decided to watch what I eat and try to do something everyday even if its going up and down the stairs, ouch. Then this I summer am going try to take some low impact swimming. I hate swim suits so have to find a class that will let me wear sweats i always feel like a beached whale. Yoga is also what I am going to try. Weight has alway been a problem for me since I turned 40. I like food,Food likes me,and together we make a great family. My fat cells don't even move when I go on a diet anymore the just hang on and multiply. Jean

03/27/2008 02:16 PM
mamanordy

I aint gonna tell my weight (!) but I have gained at least 40 lbs in the last 2 years. I started tapering off Cymbalta Monday because I know that is the culprit!!!

03/27/2008 04:12 PM
Wildpinkhatter
Wildpinkhatter  

Dear AngelBooze, first off...I love your name Smile long story, I'll tell you why later. I can soooo relate to this weight gain crap! Dang man, it's not bad enough that after 40 we gain weight naturally anyway and have to work harder to keep it off but then perimenopause and menopause kicks in...OH JOY!! A few more pounds and then add on to that the side effects to most, if not all, of the drugs we take to live with this stupid fibro, is of course, WEIGHT GAIN!!! I think this is absolutely crazy. When I turned 40 I gained a few pounds and weighed 120 and had to work my butt off to stay in shape but it was getting really hard, little did I know I had fibro then, I thought it was all in my head, like the doctors told me...basically that I was just depressed, pulled a muscle (in every part of my body??) idiots!! whatever, they made it worse by making me think I was crazy...so then a few more pounds as the fibro gets worse and my mobility gets less but I try not to panic...fast forward to present 48 years old...fibro in full gear...hurt so bad sometimes I just want to scream...only exercise i can barely do these days is walking and that sometimes is a killer and i now weigh a wonderful 155! The most I have ever weighed my entire life and 12 of those pounds have just showed up in the last month or so thanks to Lyrica...can't wait to get off that stuff, yuck, don't like that stuff. I eat so healthy, "fibro diet" I like to call it. Fresh fruits, veges, no fast food, no preserved food, lots of grains, nuts, fiber, whole foods, low fat, yogurt, no red meat, fish, chicken, etc...this is the healthiest I have ever ate and look at me...blimpy! I don't know what to tell you Angel, it's like a vicious cycle. Somebody needs to figure out how to control this pain we have without drugs or maybe find a drug that doesn't have so many bad side effects...let me know if you find something...good luck to you. Gentle hugs~Laura Smile

03/27/2008 04:27 PM
amyj298
amyj298  

mamanordy ... lets just say that I have you beat regarding weight. I have gained A LOT in the last two years. (I was diagnosed in Jan 2006 but symptoms started in fall 2006) I was thinking about posting before Fibro and after Fibro pictures. Sad I know it is because I was on Nurotin (sp?) first and that started this whole mess. Then I went to Cymbalta, now Lyrica.

Talk about fighting a losing battle. Laughing

03/27/2008 04:44 PM
hipmama42
hipmama42  

Thanks everyone for sharing their "fibro fat" stories. I feel so alone and depressed about being so heavy and out of shape. I have gained the 35 lbs back that I struggled so hard to lose after the birth of my second child at age 40. I now weigh what I weighed after giving birth to him before I lost "the baby weight!" Only then I was nursing and not allowed any meds that caused weight gain and with the hormones did not crave food so much, plus the baby was sucking out 500-1000 calories a day and all I had to do was sit on my butt and pull up my shirt! Best darn diet I ever did! I wish it was still possible to produce milk, I'd hire myself out as a "wet nurse" and feed babies all day and stay skinny eating whatever I want. Nice fantasy anyway.

Besides having to be on antidepressants like Paxil and Cymbalta for years, I also had to be on Prednisone to control asthma for the past five years. I swear, if I went on a total starvation diet now I would still put on weight! It is nearly impossible to lose weight while taking steroids even with vigorous exercise and ultra low cal diet.

I am trying to slowly wean off the Prednisone but now my adrenals are shot and not working....so this will be really really hard given that I have no energy and already a lot of joint pain.

I avoid mirrors and I don't enjoy clothes shopping anymore. They don't make cute clothes for "blimps" like me, so eveerything I wear now is black and loose to cover my massive gut! If I were younger people would be asking me when I'm due! I try to joke about this, but it really depresses me! If anyone finds the secret to weight loss with fibro meds I would love to hear it!

03/27/2008 04:54 PM
Willy

ok, do not hate me.........pain made me lose my appetite and i went down to 95 lbs and I am 5'6". As I got my 'house in order' I got back to a healthy weight of 130 lbs.......... I avoid caffeine like it is the devil, I eat a lot of veggies and fruit and i adore rice and noodles.. oh and cheese. I am on Lyrica which has my IBS in order very well.....Pain=Depression=weight loss or weight gain....for me it was weight loss. I did some talk therapy and got my 'house' in order. I do not get out of my bed until I visualize FIVE FABULOUS THINGS IN MY LIFE. I make myself move whether or not I like it. Every day. Cut out flour and sugar and see if that helps..... Whatever you do, try to think about what you are putting in your mouth and eat healthy. I am so grateful to my therapist for helping me put stuff in perspective. I am still in some pain, but I am eating!!!! There were times in my life over the last 20 years where the depression did equal weight gain and that was hard too. I have been a 'nearly A cup to a double D cup'. I know from where I speak!

03/27/2008 04:59 PM
jgamble409

HipMama,

We are not blimps we are Goddesses. If we lived during the renaissance we would be considered beautiful. Men would be throwing themselves at us. The only reason that we are so consumed Smile with being thin is because todays society has it properities messed up. We all need to lose some weight but with our Devil condition and our meds it makes it doubly hard. But we cannot look down on ourselves when we are each special and are living a life that alot of others would not be able to do. Every time you look in the mirror think how you glad you are that you have another day to enjoy your family and look inside at the wonderful person you are. Then you can remember that you don't feel great but for that moment everything feels great. Jean, the Goddess

03/27/2008 05:02 PM
Sandi

My brother asked me if I had to get dressed to drive him home and I looked at him in one of my "why don't you go crawl in a whole and die lookds---with a smile on my face of course" and I politely replied.......

I AM DRESSED. i WEAR PAJAMAS MOST OF THE DAY. OCCASIONALLY I WILL PUT SWEATS ON OVER MY PJ'S IN CASE I AM IN A CAR WRECK. BUT I HURT AND I'M COVERED. After all I could have made him call a cab.Wink

Sandi

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved