MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/16/2009 05:03 PM

I am so p o'd!

prec1ous
prec1ous  

Angry My doctor sent me to Rheumy for my fibro since I have been in so much pain since around February. Well unfortunately I get one of these Rhemuatologists that don't "like" the term Fibromyalgia and in essence doesn't believe in fibro. He said that Rheumy can't help people with fibro and that I would need to stick to seeing my family practice doctor.

I was so mad. I didn't want to go see him anyway and told him so. He did suggest Cymbalta but said he didn't think it would help. Boy I was about to lose all my religion up in that office and cuss him out! But I knew that was the way a lot of Rheumy doctors felt back 20 years ago when I was diagnosed and I guess nothings changed Sad

07/16/2009 05:35 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I'm sorry that you found a crappy stupid dr. There are alot of them out there. I've had one rheumy like that. I'd suggest trying to find a different one and call ahead and ask if they believe in fibro.

07/16/2009 05:43 PM
Jessy

I know exactly how you feel! Going to doctor's offices is so depressing and irritating because every doctor says you need to be under the care of a Rheumy and they want to throw you in that direction. I remember leaving a Rheumy's office in tears a couple of years ago. I had already been diagnosed with FM by my PCP and still the Rheumy basically said FM doesn't exist since there isn't a test for it (I tried to explain the 18 trigger points FM sufferers have but it made no difference). I remember describing the symptoms of the tingling and numbness in my arms and hands. His response was that FM does not cause those symptoms. He directed me to the Mayo Clinic website so I could educate myself. I remember going back to request my medical record (I knew I would never go back) and I left the doctor a print out of Fibromyalgia symptoms from the Mayo Clinic website with "numbness and tingling on extremeties" highlighted. The only advice I have is to research as much as you can. The research along with sharing experiences with other Fibromites keeps me going Wink !

Jessy

Post edited by: Jessy, at: 07/16/2009 05:45 PM

07/16/2009 05:55 PM
hopefull1
hopefull1  
VIP Member

Precious, I know exactly how you feel. I have been to many many doctors. The one thing I learned from being on this site is that you have to keep up the search to find the doctor that will listen and treat your illness. I ended up calling around and asking each one if they believed in fibro and if they did were they taking chronic pain patients. I finally found a pain management doctor and not only is he treating my fibro but he diagnosed me with myofascial pain, facet joint disease, severe arthritis, and occipital neuralgia. I'm not happy about having more conditions but I am happy that they are being treated and that my pain is sufficiently managed. Please don't give up because there are doctors out there that will give you the treatment you deserve.

07/17/2009 01:46 AM
Mispati3
Mispati3  

Well, isn't that the pits! I wish these doctors would understand that we realize they can't cure fibro and don't expect them to. All we want is someone to listen and to help us live with it! It's like they are on this guilt trip or ego trip and don't want to see us because they know there's not much they can do. We KNOW that! I wish I could find one that is willing to do as much research as I have so that together we could come up with a treatment/coping plan!!

07/17/2009 01:53 AM
BethAnnM
BethAnnM  

Where are you mispati? I have an awesome doc. But I live in the cincti area!

07/17/2009 03:48 AM
Mispati3
Mispati3  

I'm in Orlando, FL. But I'm happy that you have an awesome doctor! I'm hoping the new one I am seeing will be like that!

07/18/2009 06:09 PM
prec1ous
prec1ous  

Good suggestion but the problem is that we are military so you can't do that. I could go to a civilian doctor and pay for it myself but it is very expensive as I am sure you all already know.

I talked to my Psychiatrist and he switched me from Zoloft to the Cymbalta. I am weaning off the Zoloft so it'll be a few weeks before I have a report on how the Cymbalta works.

07/18/2009 06:11 PM
prec1ous
prec1ous  

yeah I have been having intermittent numbness in the tops of my feet and he said the same thing.

07/18/2009 06:37 PM
sosore

Good Luck, I am going to start with another Rheum. the one i been going to turn out to be a complete @S$.he made me so mad.

i been dealing with different meds and none seem to have worked.

and his atitute has been extreemly poor.

he made me feel bad and hasn't been able to help with my pain etc.

so, I Decided to have all my work and tests be sent to my regular doctor and i decided to get a new rheum. i havent been to the new one yet I hope hes alot better then this last jer@#$%.

Good Luck. Maybe you can call your doctor or the ER and see if there is any info on where there are other Rheum. you can look into.

Good Luck. try not being too PO. that doctor is not worth being in more pain for.

again, Best of luck..

Post edited by: sosore, at: 07/18/2009 06:39 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved