MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/16/2009 07:52 AM

Increased Sensitivity to Smell

emendoza23
emendoza23  

I know this has been asked before, but I would like to ask if anyone has an increased sensitivity to smell.

This just really started for me and it seems everything is magnified in the smelling department. I smell everything and it is making me nauseas.

I know we all have increased sensitivity, but why all of a sudden would it really be magnified. I have taken my mop outside. I clean the kitty litter box every time they go in it. I keep no dishes in the sink. I constantly sweep my floors, but the increased sense is just driving me nuts. I can not stand it.

I wonder what it is that increases our sense of smell? What chemistry is affected? I wonder if the medicines we often take contribute to the increased sense?

Elizabeth

07/16/2009 07:54 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I don't know what causes it but I know I have it! I also have increased hearing, like I can hear flourecent lights. Drives me nuts.

07/16/2009 08:02 AM
amazzon

I do too. Smell and hearing. My husband asks me, "How did you hear that?" Or "I don't smell anything." Lol! It's crazy!

07/16/2009 08:07 AM
Mispati3
Mispati3  

I haven't noticed a sensitivity to smell but definately to sound. Little things like someone's cough or a door closing startle me and I actually feel the sound through my body. It hurts! By the end of the day, I can't even handle conversation or the television.

07/16/2009 08:10 AM
bc1028
bc1028  

I have that sensitivity to smell and noises, it drives me crazy. Have you ever tasted something and then thought that it tasted like somthing smelled? I do that all the time and I saw something on tv the other day that said it has to do with the nerves in our body.

07/16/2009 08:11 AM
emendoza23
emendoza23  

I agree with you pati, sound also is magnified. I don't even listen to my car radio or cd anymore, it dances on every nerve in my body. I am just curious as to why we have an increased sensitivity to senses. I am going to do some research on this. There has to be an altered chemical balance, right?

My grand baby will watch Spongebob, and it is the worst of the worst. That little guy is so annoying.

Elizabeth

Post edited by: emendoza23, at: 07/16/2009 08:13 AM

07/16/2009 08:16 AM
amazzon

Food that tastes like it smells...yes, I have. I used to eat fish and/or shrimp a lot but now, it nauseates me because of that BC. Brilliant!

07/16/2009 08:17 AM
amazzon

By the way E...Spongebob is a very very annoying little sponge. I agree wholeheartedly. I leave the room when my son is watching it.

07/16/2009 08:40 AM
emendoza23
emendoza23  

You know what, it has a medical name. I did not know this but I guess we can add this to our list of disorders. I wanted to do some research on why we suffer from this, like chemicals in the brain, or what and could not come up with anything other than this. But it does have a name. Hyperosmia.

Hyperosmia is an increased ability to smell - for example, being able to identify the perfume of the previous occupant of a chair. It is seen in patients with cluster headaches, migraines, and adrenal cortical insufficiency (Addison's Disease).

07/16/2009 08:42 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

It's spongebob's laugh! Drives me up the wall! I've heard of one theory on it but don't quote me because I don't know if it's correct or not. Just a theory. OK. Our bodies/nerves/brain amplifies pain. Something that wouldn't even register in a normal person is severe in us. So the thought with that is that the sense of touch along with all other senses are also amplified. Did that even make sense? My brain is on vacation today.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved