MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/15/2009 08:36 PM

Unemployed with FM, IC and IBS

Alisha2086
Alisha2086  

So I lost my position May 22, 2009. My FMLA ran out. I went out on medical leave Jan 29, 2009. My LTD go denied because my FM is a pre existng condition.I can honestly say I didn't care for the job. The money was good and it was my first full time job out of college. The stress from the job wasn't worth the paycheck. I truly feel like the job contributed to the deteroriation of my health.

My FM has been under control since starting savella. Its funny because when I found out I was laid off. I wasn't mad because I was finally feeling better. I tried to look at it as a fresh start.

I had 2 interviews w/ insurance companies for a similar role as my last job. I didn't get it. Then I thought to myself and realized I don't want to work in the insurance industry anyway!! I'm going to use my college degree for something I really want to work in like social services.

So my FM was under control then my IC started acting up. I developed 2 bladder infections that went undiagnosed for awhile. Talk about pain!!!!

When I'm flaring I'm glad I don't have a job but when I'm not I feel guilty that I'm not working.

Does anybody else feel like that?

07/15/2009 08:44 PM
emendoza23
emendoza23  

Absolutely Alisha. I want to work so bad, but when I feel a flare, I am so glad I am not responsible to a job. I also lost my job in May 2009. Right when I was being diagnosed and had hope, I was layed off.

It is funny how things work out sometimes. I also feel I need a change in my career that will benefit me for a change. This is the time for soul searching I guess.

Elizabeth

07/16/2009 05:55 AM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

my work knows I am being transferred ina month and they are making my life a living hell...instead of letting me just dal with my life I have to constantly be on my toes wondering when is the next time i will be pulled into the managers office and for what stupid reason...I have already been pulled in 3 times for my lack of customer service (yeah right)and one more time and I will be gone from the company LOL... I almost wast to say go ahead you jerk.. make my day cause i will make sure the state finds out...I have so much against them it is not even funny.. from my schedule to the harassment... be glad for a fresh start.. new beginnings are great... mine starts in a month Smile

HUGS

07/16/2009 06:29 AM
River
River  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I do not feel guilty about not working I just miss being able to work and do all the things I use to do. I hope you find a satisfing postiion HUGS River

07/16/2009 06:33 AM
emendoza23
emendoza23  

Adewyn, that is so unacceptable that they treat you that way. At least you go to work. I would often wonder how the heck I even would make a day at work. Customer Service is extremely difficult, even on a good day. Dealing with everyone and feeling like we do.

Elizabeth

07/16/2009 08:02 AM
bc1028
bc1028  

Alisha, I hope you feel better soon. Good luck with the job interviews.

Adewyn, it is so bad when the company wants to get rid of you, I think that often that happens to people that have chronic conditions. I know you will be so glad to finally transfer and get out of there.

07/16/2009 08:44 AM
amazzon

Good luck Alisha with your job interviews honey.

Adewyn, I am so sure you will be glad to be getting out of there. Good riddance! I hope your new beginning is great!

Hugs...Amazzon

07/16/2009 01:44 PM
Alisha2086
Alisha2086  

Thank you all for your support. Adewyn I am so glad you will be getting out of there!

Hugs

Alisha

07/16/2009 02:39 PM
mvgallegos
mvgallegos  

Ladies, what is IC?

07/16/2009 03:06 PM
Alisha2086
Alisha2086  

mvgallegos-

Interstitial cystitis (IC) is a condition that results in recurring discomfort or pain in the bladder and the surrounding pelvic region. The symptoms vary from case to case and even in the same individual. People may experience mild discomfort, pressure, tenderness, or intense pain in the bladder and pelvic area. Symptoms may include an urgent need to urinate, a frequent need to urinate, or a combination of these symptoms. Pain may change in intensity as the bladder fills with urine or as it empties. Women's symptoms often get worse during menstruation. They may sometimes experience pain during vaginal intercourse.

Because IC varies so much in symptoms and severity, most researchers believe it is not one, but several diseases. In recent years, scientists have started to use the term painful bladder syndrome (PBS) to describe cases with painful urinary symptoms that may not meet the strictest definition of IC. The term IC/PBS includes all cases of urinary pain that can't be attributed to other causes, such as infection or urinary stones. The term interstitial cystitis, or IC, is used alone when describing cases that meet all of the IC criteria established by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

In IC/PBS, the bladder wall may be irritated and become scarred or stiff. Glomerulations—pinpoint bleeding caused by recurrent irritation—often appear on the bladder wall. Hunner's ulcers are present in 10 percent of people with IC. Some people with IC/PBS find that their bladder cannot hold much urine, which increases the frequency of urination. Frequency, however, is not always specifically related to bladder size; many people with severe frequency have normal bladder capacity. People with severe cases of IC/PBS may urinate as many as 60 times a day, including frequent nighttime urination, also called nocturia.

IC/PBS is far more common in women than in men. Of the estimated 1.3 million Americans with IC, more than 1.2 million are women.1

*There is no cure and the cause is unknown

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved