MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/26/2008 03:31 PM

Why do my arms hurt so much?

Sandi

I can make my legs, go even if it is painful. But I cannot make my arms do anything. It is like they are dead weight. They feel heavy and when I try to do something they actually ache. I cannot get anything done. By the evening when it is time to fix dinner, I am literally unable to do it. We have to order out.

Can anyone help me,

Sandi

03/26/2008 03:53 PM
amyj298
amyj298  

Sandi,

You are just having sympathy pains for me. Smile Thanks for the jester but I don't want you to be in pain too. Sad

Thank you for posting this. Now I know that I am not the only one.

Amy

Post edited by: amyj298, at: 03/27/2008 07:44

03/26/2008 06:38 PM
Red2
Red2  

Sandi,

I have the same problem sometimes. By evening I was lucky to get any cooking done. Sometimes I would even be in the middle of cooking - trying to stir my potatoes or whatever - and have my arms and hands cramp up, my arms feel heavy, then go limp. That was the end of that! I have yelled at my husband many times to come take over. I had to lay down Angry (Since he has no idea how to cook, and doesn't care to learn, this was a big thing to be asking him. Luckily we didn't eat too many burned meals Smile He's a pretty good helper - sometimes! Silly )

I have found it helps me to just cook a lot of things in the crockpot. I can put it in early in the day when I still have some energy, and it's ready by supper time Smile Or, if I'm having a pretty good day, I will cook a really big roast or roast whole chickens or turkey. Then, I can put in the fridge or even freeze and save for when I am unable to move. Someone else can then help heat it up and throw in a can of veggies or greens or whatever. Wink

Anyhow, cooking has definitely been a challenge. Especially since I am supposed to be eating healthier. When I feel terrible and can't move, I don't even care if I eat, so I'm bad about just grabbing anything. But, organizing myself a little and planning ahead has helped me a lot. Smile

Now if only I was rich enough to hire my own personal chef!! Tongue Ok, I can dream can't I?!

03/26/2008 06:43 PM
foxyroxy1
foxyroxy1  

Do you get where your hands are sore, stiff and swollen feeling? mine do that alot lately plus they tingle and go numb alot. I just had an EMG and its not carpal tunnel. Hummm???

03/26/2008 06:43 PM
Sandi

Thanks everyone,

I haven't cooked in 2 weeks. We are all tired of eating out plus it is expensive. I am really just too tired. I have a crock pot. I'll have to give it a try.

Sandi Wink

03/26/2008 06:55 PM
Red2
Red2  

I hope the crock pot works out for you. I got me a cookbook for crockpot recipes. I had to simplify some of them. I don't like recipes that need all kinds of ingredients! Soups and chili would be great in the crockpot. Especially when it's cold outside. Throw in some meat and some veggies - done. I agree, it is really expensive to eat out a lot. That is one of the things that motivated me to figure something out for our evening meals together.

Good Luck!!

red

03/26/2008 07:09 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

Sandi-

I'm right there with ya! Sad My arms hurt a LOT. I often have muscle spasms in my arms. Doesn't matter if it's the upper part, or the lower part. They always seem to hurt. Also, my hands and fingers ache.

I take lots of medications. Besides the meds, the only other thing that provides even a little bit of relief is soaking in the bath tub, full of warm/hot water. I could live in the water if I could! W00t

If you find something that works, be sure to share it with us. In the meantime, gentle fibro hugs.

Amy

03/26/2008 07:11 PM
mamanordy

I have the dead weight arms too. It is frustrating to not be able to do the simple things anymore.

03/26/2008 07:23 PM
herro
herro  

well, i'm with foxyroxy1, my hands hurt so bad. when i get up in the am they are numb and then they start to hurt. it gets worse as the day goes by, they feel swollen and stiff and it's hard to make a fist. i can't open a bottle of soda anymore! i can't hold hands w/hubby anymore(like interlocking fingers). typing isn't bad cuz it doesn't take much strength. writing can be hard...i get the leaden feeling in my whole body, kind of like trying to walk in water. hey! i have idea! maybe we should all live in zero gravity!

03/27/2008 05:56 AM
amyj298
amyj298  

Sandi, I was an insensitive boob I was yesterday. I didn't realize that I was the first to respond to your post so here I made light of it. I am so sorry. I have since edited it.

As far as the ache is concerned. I completely understand; I have the same. Mine is a deep, "if you move your arm might snap off" ache. They do feel like dead weight. I have not really found anyway to relieve the "pain" but as far as dinners ...

What I try to do is, on a good day, brown ground beef up and put it in 1 pound freezer bagies. I may do up to 10 pounds in a day (or I may have my daughter do it if she is grounded lol). (Oh, to be honest, I will get only 8 bags out of 10 pounds of beef because I always use a little more ground beef than what a recipe calls for.) Then we use it for speghetti, tacos, sloppy joes, chili, hamburger helper ... anything that requires cooked ground beef.

This has saved me a lot of times! Hope this helps better than my last post. Sad

Amy

Post edited by: amyj298, at: 03/27/2008 07:56

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved