MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/26/2008 08:54 AM

Chest Pain

Truebee
Jul  

I'm pretty new here and am not sure how this works, so if I have done something wrong please let me know.

Just wondering if anyone out ther gets chest pains, and if so how do you know when to call the doctor. The pains started about two years ago. I had a stress test done, and my heart looked good... However, the pain I get really scares me. I have made many trips to the ER. After blood work, chest x-rays, and an EKG I am given something to calm me down and I'm on my way home again. Besides the fibro I also have very very bad anxiety. They tell me its my fibro and anxiety causing the pain. I'm afraid I'm going to have a heart attack and that I'm not going to go for help because I think its my fibro or anxiety....Every pain I feel, I feel like it is from something really bad. Some illness that is going to kill me. But the heart thing scares me so bad. it sometimes even ruins my day. Was just hopeing that someone out there could give me some help or advise.

Thanks

Smile

03/26/2008 09:39 AM
mamanordy

Hello and welcome!! I have a lot of heart issues, and get chest pain on an almost daily basis, the dr called it chest pain syndrome and angina. I know how you feel about thinking you are having a heart attack or something. But with your anxiety the er docs are probably right. Anxiety can cause chest pain. If you need to get another opinion go see a cardiologist and make sure. Make sure you have an echocardiogram, this should rule out all kinds of heart related diseases and maybe a stress test as well. Good luck and keep posting!

03/26/2008 09:44 AM
Red2
Red2  

Hi Truebee! Welcome!! Just join right in anytime. Ask anything you want. There so many people here with great advice!!

I can only speak from my own experiences. I also have had chest pains. About three years ago, I went through quite a bit of testing of my heart. Blood work, x-ray, sonograms, wearing a holter monitor for 24 hours, etc. All came back just fine!

I would have muscle spasms that started on my left side and moved across my chest into my lungs. It felt like someone was poking into my lungs, and really hurt. I had to breath shallowly for a little bit and lean over. After just a minute, it would let up and go away. I was worried it might be my heart, but they keep telling me it's ok. My chiropractor did show me how those muscles could cause all that pain. Since I have been getting adjustments, I have not had that stabbing pain anymore. Maybe some mild cramping after being worked on, but much better. I also had to work on de-stressing! (Hard to do sometimes)

However, if I do some extra housecleaning (ok, granted that's not often Smile but sometimes) that requires the use of my arms a lot - if I can't get someone else to vaccuum for me - then my chest muscles will tighten up some. Sometimes I feel as though I can't get a big enough breath. But that will usually subside after a short while.

I can only watch my pain to see if it changes somehow from what it normally is, and then I will check with the doctor again.

I have found I have to make myself NOT worry over every little thing. I also suffer from anxiety attacks and am working on relaxing and letting go. I have to trust a little that things are ok. The anxiety definitely makes the pain MUCH worse!!! Every muscle tenses up. And, my worrying about every pain is not making it better. Take a loooong hot bath, listen to some music, watch a funny movie, breathe and relax. Smile

Hope this will help a little!

03/26/2008 10:17 AM
mamanordy

Truebee here is a website to go to that talks about different fibro sx and chest pain is on there. Hope it helps

http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/ fibromyalgia_multiple_chemical.html

03/26/2008 11:40 AM
Truebee
Jul  

Thanks everyone....just knowing there are people out there going through the same thing I am helps (not that I would ever wish this on anyone). I know what a huge part my anxiety plays in all this, and I try so hard to relax and not get so worked up about every little thing....its just very hard for me to do. But I am tryin. It's so funny I have two children and I can stay so calm when they are sick or hurt.....but when its me thats when I get worked up...I get nerveous because I'm afraid something bad is happening and that my kids will have to grow up without a mom. This whole fibro thing really stinks!!!!!!!!! I really need to learn a lot more about it. I'm really glad I found this site. Thanks for listening!Smile

03/28/2008 07:03 PM
jojo72

Hi Truebee! I could have easily written your post myself! Mine all started about five years ago. I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack at least 1-2 times a week. I find that my anxiety and fibro symptoms are ten times worse the 10-12 days before my period. (like right now, actually!) If I'm "behaving" and eating right and exercising my symptoms are lessened. Best wishes to you! Jo

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved