MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/14/2009 03:39 AM

Getting dressed

Mispati3
Mispati3  

Anyone else have trouble dressing themselves?

I can't lift my right leg very far and have to sit in a chair that is low enough so that I can reach down with my hand and lift my leg into a pair of pants. Of course, my fingers won't open very far and I have to use my other hand to open my hand to grab my leg. The whole process leaves me exhausted and I have to lay down afterward. Dizzy

07/14/2009 03:56 AM
emtgal
emtgal  

sorry to hear your having such a bad time with this hon. how long has this been going on? my mum (also a fibro sufferer) has the same issues, but works around it with various gadgets (such as shoe horn for putting on shoes).

are you able to do anything like that? have you spoken to your doc about it?

07/14/2009 05:14 AM
Mispati3
Mispati3  

Well, a shoe horn wouldn't help much ~ I wear flip flops year 'round! lol.

I haven't spoken with my doctor about because I know there isn't anything he could do for me. It's simply another one of the joys of living with fibro.

07/14/2009 05:33 AM
lotsofboys

I know a lot of us HATE to wear skirts, but, if it's appropriate for you, there are some really easy skirts to get in and out of. I found some at Ross and TJ Maxx, but Old Navy has some on a regular basis. They are a slinky material but knee length and full. Pulling on a skirt is so much easier than getting into pants. And they work GREAT with flip-flops! Unfortunately for me I have to wear tennis shoes all the time. Not necessarily a stylish combo, but, hey, you got to do what you got to do!

07/14/2009 07:06 AM
Mispati3
Mispati3  

You know, skirts are not a bad idea! My office is VERY casual (I wear shorts and a tank top to work) There are lots of styles skirts that would be perfect.

LOB, I can't imagine wearing tennis shoes! My feet hurt so bad all the time. I leave my flip flops at the front door of the office and put socks on when I get to my desk.

07/14/2009 09:36 AM
suebaby41
suebaby41  

I have trouble lifting my left leg. I have tried sitting down and pulling up my clothes and standing and holding onto something. Neither is pain free. If I put my right leg in first, I cannot lift my left leg high enough to put it into pants.

I don't like wearing skirts, but you are probably right, they would be easier to put on.

07/14/2009 09:39 AM
lotsofboys

Regarding the tennis shoes, the bottoms of my feet hurt to walk in anything but! My toes hate flip flops too.

I wish my feet weren't so picky...but at least I can wear the tennis shoes for the support I wouldn't get in any other kind of shoe.

Good luck with the skirts!!

07/14/2009 10:49 AM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Mispati, I have the very same trouble except it s my left leg that is the problem.

For some reason, periodically, it will feel very swelled (from the inside) and can hardly bend it at the knee. It is not in the joint so I m sure it s not arthritis.

Last week when it was so bad I was dousing it with Votaren Gel 3-4X a day and that helped a lot so I m pretty sure it s in the muscles. At any rate, it is at the top of my list to discuss with my Rhuemy when I see him again.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved