MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/08/2009 11:42 PM

Severe pain in hands

mvgallegos
mvgallegos  

For the last two days I'd had severe pain in my hands, which is not abnormal for me but it has been worse than it has been in a while since the doc started me on a NSAID called Indocin.

I take Lortab about every 4 hours and it has yet to touch the pain. Does anyone have any suggestions to ease the discomfort? Pinch It's like a cramping, burning, heavy feeling.. Holding my own hand helps. Grin

07/09/2009 12:16 AM
pamela05
pamela05Posts: 96

I posted this on another hand thread but I'll post it again here. Get wrist braces for your hands. I started having hand pain when I was in 6th grade. I would put and ace bandage on and shove two pencils up the sides. Then my mom finally got me a brace. There was nothing wrong with it (later diagnosed with carpal tunnel) but the brace helped a ton. There are also the braces that are more of a support. Wearing them at night helps a ton. Also watch what position you hold your hands in. Holding the phone, driving, picking up heavy things might possibly aggravate it. I would also just continue the medications and hopefully if there is any inflamation that will decrease as well as your pain.

07/09/2009 12:19 AM
mvgallegos
mvgallegos  

You know you did just give me an idea, I just went back to work on Tuesday after being on vacation for two weeks, I'm an office manager who does alot with her hands.. that's when it started again.. thanks for the suggestion, I do have a brace and will see if it helps.

07/09/2009 03:28 AM
Mispati3
Mispati3  

I have severe pain in my arms and it's fibro-related. I haven't found anything that helps much. My prescription meds don't touch it. Advil does a little and ActivOn at times. I've tried a brace. It's so bad now that I can't have anything touching me.

07/09/2009 05:35 AM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

i wrap my hands in heat when they are really bad.. and do the same for my feet when they feel like they are shattered.. that how my hands feel too like some took a sledgehammer to my hands and feet and and shattered them.

07/09/2009 08:45 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

I also have hand pain, I have not found much to help them but I have tried heat and it helps some. My son will come and try to massage them (for all of about 30 seconds) it feels good but it does hurt everytime he hits a joint. My md swears I do not have any inflamation in my joints, have any of your mds said that, there is no way I can't have any inflamation.

07/09/2009 08:56 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I do the brace thing when my hands start acting up. In fact, I've been doing that since high school!

07/10/2009 01:09 AM
mvgallegos
mvgallegos  

OMG my hand pain is so bad tonight, I used to get it this severe before the doc put me on indocin, a NSAID, is it possbile to become immune to those as we do pain killers as well and that may be why it's so severe?

07/10/2009 01:37 AM
Sonni
Sonni  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

When I cant take the pain in my hands any longer, and my braces don't help, I wrap my hands in ice packs for about 10 mins. It numbs them while I massage them. Sounds weird but that's what helps me.

Yes it is possible to become immune or have a reaction to your meds. Are you sensitive to the temperature changes? Could it be an allergic reaction to something? Some people are hypersensitive to their environment. Has anything changed in your life lately?

You may need to call your doctor and make an appt for him/her to exam you and change your meds.

07/10/2009 03:48 AM
mvgallegos
mvgallegos  

Other than going back to work after two weeks off, that's the only thing that has changed but I was still at home busy doing housework and laundry so it wasn't like my hands were still all the time. Temps have just gotten better here, it's been rainy and cloudy and the last few days it's been warm and sunny..

I have herbal pain patches that I place on my hands but those are not even working this time and it's kinda embarressing wearing them at work, people always as me, oh did you just have blood drawn or what's up with the patches, I just say they are pain patches and that I have a muscle condition and people usually leave it alone after that.

OOOOOHHHHHH God please bring me some relief!

When it gets this bad I often wrap tube socks around my hands, the pressure helps normally but this time, nothing is working. I just saw my doc last month, I normally see him every 2-3 months but I think I may have to call and schedule an appt.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved