MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/17/2008 09:28 PM

Drug Seeking?

cadburry
cadburry  

How many of you have been made to feel like a drug seeker?

I just read on a nursing blog that one nurse actually looks at all pain patients as drug seekers! I was so mad that I wanted to subscribe to this site she was blogging on and tell her where to get ******!

03/18/2008 03:10 AM
jesusmyjoy
jesusmyjoy  

yeap..druggy is what they call me..thats sad..

03/18/2008 04:25 AM
Sandi

What does blogging on mean?

Sandi

03/18/2008 05:06 AM
Sandi

The first thing you learn before you ever take care of a patient is:

PAIN IS WHAT THE PATIENT SAYS IT IS!!!!

It doesn't matter what she says, thinks, or feels.

Unfortunately, nursing like every other profession gets

a bad apple. One big problem I see with nursing is that people used to go into nursing because they felt a calling for it. THey loved their patients and spent time with them making them comfortable and teaching them about the changes that were going on with their bodies. This often included their caretakers and family. Now nursing, like the hospital is a business. Nurses are recruited, not for their desire, but for

their ability to fill a seat or complete the amount of sought applicants. Are they ever asked, "Why do you want to be a nurse?" Most applicants see the profession a a way to make good money after only a short time in college. And a guaranteed career because of the shortage. Did anyone ever address the reason for the shortage? If this is such a wonderful career, why the constant shortage?

Nurses are abused in the system. This filters down to patient care. It is difficult to adequately care for the number of patients you are given. Good nurses are quitting and the new nurses that are replacing them are the ones mentioned earlier. I think the "stupid" nurse that spoke of the fibro patient as a "drug seeker" is probably one of the new, highly skilled, recently graduated nurses that has not been taught or had the time to learn any of the real nursing skills needed to make it in our profession. These are the skills of compasion, mercy, and most importantly appreciation for the person as a somebody. Always to remember that somebody is always somebody elses somebody. No matter how different from you they still have someone that loves them and that they belong to.

I believe that new nurses cannot be taught this. They either learn this or they don't. The profession eventually weeds these individuals out on its own. Unfortuately, you came into contact with one that is still hanging on to her nametag.

Sandi RN, RRT

03/18/2008 05:13 AM
jesusmyjoy
jesusmyjoy  

Goodmorning to all...Smile

03/18/2008 05:13 AM
jesusmyjoy
jesusmyjoy  

:*

03/18/2008 06:20 AM
Sandi

I love the example given in the Bible in the book of James, Chapter 2 verses 1-4.

A warning against prejudice:

For Instance, suppose someone comes into your meeting dressed in fancy clothes and expensive jewelry, and another comes in who is poor and dressed in shabby clothes.

If you give special attention and a good seat to the rich person, but you say to the poor one, "You can stand over there, or else sit on the floor"---well,

doesn't this discrimination show that ....

you are guided by wrong motives.

How is this any different from the nurse or other health care professional assuming that the fibro patient is a drug seeker when compared to any other patient. Especially any other patient who is dealing with pain or chronic pain. When they look at us are the guided by the wrong motives? Are they making ASSUMPTIONS based on our diagnosis? We didn't choose this disease, it chose us. One day it may choose them and when it does, Will they want to be treated by nurses that are guided by the wrong motives?

Enough ranting for one

morning,

Sandi

P.S.Aren't you glad I feel

better today? Sandi

03/18/2008 10:31 AM
cadburry
cadburry  

Whats sad is that I think my doctor can write out pain meds, but she must not be taking my pain seriously so she just sends me off to the pain clinic.

I don't know how I could have been labeled as such. I have suffered from some very bad UTIs and kidney infections in tha past couple of years, one was so bad I had to be hospitalized. I also fell and got hurt pretty bad one day last summer and had to go to the hospital to be treated for pain. If I was a drug seeker I'm sure I wouldn't have turned down all those shots of pain medicine they wanted to give me!

I went to the hospital last week in so much pain that my blood pressure was dangerously high. They sent me home untreated for my pain!The doctor was also very cold to me.

I think my doctor sent them something telling them to not treat my pain.

What happend was I went to her for a UTIand she gave me an antibiotic telling me it wasn't that bad of an infection. The next morning I wook up at 3am in allot of pain so once I got the kids off to school I went to the hospital. They told me my UTi was very bad and then treated me for the pain, sending me home with a prescription for about 10 Hydrocodone 7.5mg

I wanted to let my doctor know that it turned out that it was a bad one and that I ended up having to get treated for my pain.She asked me what hospital I went to and I told her thinking nothing about it as I had done nothing wrong.

Thats why I think she sent them something telling them to not treat me for pain.

Also whats strange was I was dealing with what I beleive was the start of my Fibro. six months before I went to this doctor and the doctors office I was going to before this kept telling me it's all in your head. Then one day I had the flu with a very hight temp. I went in so that I could get a note for work and the NP there said I will write you out for today, but I just don't think your sick enough to be wrote out tomarrow! I was like look it took everything I had to drive here today and I know I won't be better tomarrow so you can you at least put if needed for tomarrow.She treated me so terribly that I cried, but I got what I wanted and then a few days later recieved a letter saying I have a new doctor.

Then on my first visit (a year ago) my current doctor said, we don't write out pain meds here.

I'm just wondering if I need to be looking into to sueing someone for slandering my character!

03/18/2008 10:40 AM
meleggs
meleggs  

I'm so sorry you went through this but unfortunately most of us have had the same experience. I now say "You only know how good your doctor really is until you are really sick". So many doctors during my flare up were cold and down right rude. I think all of that going on for months and months lead to a nervous breakdown.

It has been a while ago now. I also thought of the ethics as to how I was treated and how I wanted to give these doctors the "what for". Only thing is the stress involved with that would probably make my fibro worse so keeping my health in good order is my main concern.

I now take the attitude of "They just don't get it or don't want to." I've finally found a few doctors I feel good with and I try not to think about the ones who treated me poorly. I guess I have left that in God's hands.

There aren't easy answers to these things. Just know that we do understand and unfortunately many of us have experienced your horror!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved