MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/11/2008 12:55 AM

Pain in shoulder, neck, upper left chest?(page 2)

hypedujour
hypedujour  

Coffeebean.....cute name. Out of curiosity, do you have a shoulder bag that you carry on your left shoulder? I do, and even though I know better, if I carry it for any length of time out shopping, it will cause pain in my shoulder and left upper chest. If you do, look in the mirror. Your left shoulder will probably be higher than your right. Just a thought.

03/11/2008 04:23 AM
psk
psk  

Another thought, similar to hype's suggestion, but do you cradle the phone between your neck and shoulder? I catch myself doing that all the time and have a left trap the size of a tennis ball. I had some trigger point injections for this, but after a week or so of relief, it keeps growing back. I would give anything for a deep tissue massage. That always used to help. Even my gas pains.

03/11/2008 07:32 AM
LibraJo

psk - the cradle of the phone between neck & shoulder is a good point. I know that really makes my neck/shoulder/arm act up. I was only keeping in touch with my family via e-mail, I told them it was too painful for me to hold the phone. I got a gift card at christmas time to walmart & I'm going to buy a cordless phone with speaker. My Mom said it's really great.

03/11/2008 01:31 PM
coffeebean
coffeebean  

No I do not carry a shoulder bag so that cannot be it. I do a lot of things on the laptop and sometimes wonder what part that plays although even when I stay off for a period of time it doesn't not stop hurting. I don't hold the phone with my neck and shoulder much either. I do notice when I use my left arm to hold the phone for a period of time or to do things with my left arm that it hurts more. The pain has been really bad these last couple days and I am not sure what to do to make it stop. It is really bothering me. It varies between my chest and my shoulders and down my arm and fingers. I so worry about heart issues....or whether it is just a muscle/nerve/fibro thing. If I push hard on my left upper chest area it feels sore to the touch. If I move my wrist and fingers around it makes my arm then chest hurt. Sometimes when I sneeze or cough it makes it hurt. If I hold it still for a LONG time sometimes it stops or lessens. I just wish I knew it was nothing bad. Can anyone else describe their pain similar to this?? And sometimes I can feel my heart beating...maybe not related at all.

Snoopy, you mentioned rubbing out the tender points..how do I know where they are?

Good idea to use a speaker phone too LibraJo.

Does anyone take any meds that help with this?

03/11/2008 01:53 PM
Snoopy30
Snoopy30  

I just poke around till I find the one that brings tears to my eyes.LOL seriously though that is what i do find the most tender one and work on it gently at first

03/11/2008 02:07 PM
ilovepetey1
ilovepetey1  

The only medicine that seems to help with absolutely everything is my ativan for anxiety. When I take a half milligram, and I relax from it, every pain in my body is better.

leslie

03/11/2008 06:17 PM
singingangel

I use zanaflex helped but it isnt gone. My CPAP helped too. I was only breathing from my chest because of too much pain. The CPAP has helped me breathe deeper.

03/11/2008 11:22 PM
hypedujour
hypedujour  

I'm going to suggest a few places to check out and they might sound crazy, but you may have referred pain. That's when muscles are tight in one place and don't necessarily hurt, but cause pain elsewhere. I hope you have someone who can help you with a few of these. Wink

1. On your back: Check your scapula (shoulder blade). You'll need someone to do this for you. Put your left arm behind your back so the shoulder blade sticks out. (If it doesn't stick out, you are really tight there). At the bottom of the "triangle" (the bone is an upside down triangle), check around, especially the area around the bottom and between the bottom and moving in toward the spine. DO NOT EVER have or let anyone put pressure ON your spine. Also move upward along and UNDER the scapular edge (the edge closest to the spine). Then, feel the muscles between your shoulder blade and spine for sore areas.

2. Check the flat surface of the scapula, too, for any sore spots.

3. Check the indentations along the edges of the breastbone. Ribs attach there and between the ribs are muscles that can cause a lot of problems. DO NOT PUT PRESSURE on the bone at the bottom (toward your belly button). That is a bone called the xyphoid process that too much pressure can break, so just stay away from that area entirely to be safe.

4. Check below your armpit a few inches on your side. A trigger area around there can send pain down your arm and into your fingers. I get some real dandy, burning triggers there.

5. Check the area between your armpit and your collarbone (upper chest), angling up (toward the left side of your neck) to your collarbone. Also check along your collarbone on the lower edge. There's a trigger area there that can radiate across the whole upper chest, into the shoulder, and down the arm.

6. Check around in front of your armpit, too, a bit above your breast, where your shoulder attaches to your torso. That area can radiate pain into your breast.

7. I get chest pains that I can dig out by lifting my breast and feeling up under the tissue along the ribs. I find some of the most exquisitely painful triggers there.

What you do if you find any spots is to push in as deeply as you can stand and rub them hard for a few seconds, or a bit longer if you can stand it. I can do it to myself, but my daughter can't, so I do it for her. Keep breathing while you do it....then leave it alone, or you can add heat. Don't overdo it. I have found that the same areas will act up repeatedly, but if you can find the areas that are causing problems, you can go back and give them the treatment when necessary.

None of this is a "cure", but we have a strange syndrome that takes constant attention. This is only a tool to try to be more comfortable.

At times you can hit spots and feel a zing in another part of your body. This is normal....don't worry. Just shows how interestingly your body is connected.

You will be sore the next day, so expect that, but if it relieves active pain, the soreness is worth it. Also DRINK A LOT OF WATER to flush out any toxins you release from triggers.

BTW, I made 6 rice bags out of cheap tube socks that I knotted. They can be sewn closed, but I'm lazy. I filled them 3/4 with long-grain rice and that way, you can mold them easily to put them where you need them. My hub steals them in the winter, nukes them, and uses them as bed warmers. [rolling eyes]

I hope this helps. And please ask if you have any questions. Smile ......hype

03/12/2008 06:57 AM
mesafoxx
mesafoxx  

hello from down here in ur post reply, hi there! i have a very painful shoulder and left arm, i have 2 fingers that are actually numb, and my middle finger it seems to b 1/2 numb. strange, but very painful. Also the left shoulder blade area is painful too, I'm feeling this as we talk i have burning pain under my rib cage but its (under my left arm ,if u put ur arm straight down, its just to the left {behind} my upper arm.) its kind of hard to esplain, lucy!!! Well i hope u could understand that, its not easy to explain it that way. Do u have any kind of a headache? i do right now, and my left leg is also becoming numb, i guess this is the beginning of a flare-up again. I think that because I'm starting to get twinges everywhere. I could go on and on about everything but i wont. Good luck and i hope e1 in pain can get it to ease off today to function here at MD JUNCTION. I had to do that i left it wide open, lol Later e1 again, gl

03/12/2008 07:07 AM
mesafoxx
mesafoxx  

hype the pain in my upper arm feels like its in the bone, I cant barely touch it. I mean deep in the bone. its right in the center of my upper arm, OUCH, I am having right now a very bad headache too. i guess i could put heat on it. I hope its not a migrane coming on, oh boy, that wouldnt be good, lol Let me know what u think plz. thank you! c-ya

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved