MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/30/2007 02:27 PM

Body Temp Control

10Myne

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem with internal body temp control. In hot weather, I get hot and can't cool off even if I stand in a cold shower or lay in a cool tub. In the winter I can get so cold at times that I cant get warm unless I get into a hot tub. Sometimes it's just my feet and I have to soak them in hot water.

Anyone else have these problems?

08/30/2007 04:29 PM
rhonda
rhonda  

Tongue yea me too. i have fibro among others. i'm always telling my husband i want to put my feet in ice water. i do use cold packs and heating pads for my neck and back. i'm 34 and you would think 5 sick peoplep live here, with the pills heating pads, epsoms salts, oh did i say pills!

i know what you mean. my Dr told me fibro patients are temp. sensetive. i'll say. i don't know how other people just stand around in the heat. i have found that if i'm working outside i can pour water (not cold, cold)on the top of my head and that helps.

nice talking to you.

rhonda

08/30/2007 05:11 PM
LeanneT
LeanneT  

I have particular problems with overheating and fatigue. Australian summers can be very hot and if you dont have air conditioning (like me) you suffer. Apart from not being able to cool down, even if I try cool showers or soaking in the bath the fatigue hits big time. I have problems getting off the bed or lounge just to get to the toilet. I'm constantly uncomfortable. I have just experienced something new this winter, my hands and feet would become cold to the point if I put my hand or foot under/into warm/hot water I couldn't feel the heat, which became a bigger problem when I was showering/bathing. I would have to get my husband or one of my boys to test the water for me. My rheumatologist thinks there is something more neurological going on.

Weather here in sydney at present is nice....not too hot not too cold. I'm definately not looking forward to summer this year!!

08/30/2007 06:23 PM
10Myne

SmileHey LeanneT,

I live in Wyoming in the high dessert and we are just getting over summer. I am looking forward to fall when the temp is moderate for about four weeks. We dont get much spring or fall, mostly just winter and summer. Winter temps get down to sub zero and summer gets up to 100 plus. We live in a passive solar house with no airconditioning. It would get up over 100 everyday and I thought I would die. This year we bought a free standing swampcooler. This adds moisture and blows cool air. What a relief! We got the temp down in the 80's.

My hands and feet also get so cold that I can't feel the temp of the water in my bath and shower and my husband checks so I don't scald myself. My Rheumatolosgist also sent me to a Neurologist and they found nothing. Just Fibro.

Take care.

08/30/2007 06:29 PM
10Myne

Tongue Hey Rhonda,

We live on a small ranch in Wyoming. I used to be the one that takes care of the summer garden but the last few years the heat has been too much and my husband has taken on that chore too. I feel so guilty. He has to do so much around here and I am not much help. I am still able to do the freezing and canning of the harvest but when that gets too difficult I guess we will stop gardening. The whole point of living out of town was to grow our own produce free of chemicals. Oh well.

Thanks for posting.

08/30/2007 08:31 PM
AmericanLadybug

I freeze in the winter and am always hot in the summer. I am in the Plains states of the Midwest and the humidity here is killer. I get overheated so easily and then the exhaustion sets in. We don't have much of an Autumn here either. We have enjoyed temps in the 80s the past few days. The humidity is low here today. I consider that a blessing.

08/31/2007 02:40 AM
Ted_Hutchinson

The mechanism for body temperature regulation is complex but you do need to understand there is a role for the pineal gland and melatonin in thermoregulation through it's influence on the cardiovascular system and evaporative water loss.

Your melatonin cycle is controlled by bright light entering your eyes. People with Fibromyalgia often say they don't like bright light and are frequently wearers of sunglasses. This is a bad move as there is a theory that wearing sunglasses can upset the process by which your skin's tanning mechanism is controlled.

To make sure your melatonin cycle is working properly you need BRIGHT LIGHT (it doesn't matter what the source is outdoor light is fine)early in the morning and through the day. You then need to try to use subdued lighting from 8pm and when you go to bed make the room as BLACK as possible. Get rid of any alarm clock, radio light digital display and try to cut out any light from entering the windows with blackout curtains or similar. If you need the loo in the night then grope your way there and don't put on the light if possible.

The way the pineal gland interacts with the Hyperthalamus and hence to the temperature control systemsis via enzyme reactions and MAGNESIUM is involved in many of these. Dead Sea Salts -Magnesium Chloride or maybe Epsom salts in the bath water is a simply way to raise your magnesium status. This will improve your skin condition and keep it hydrated

As that research points out your skin is there to let stuff in and out and to improve permeability further you need plenty of the omegae 3 fatty acid EPA. Fish oil is the best source of this. But most people do not eat sufficent oily fish portions each week. When did you last open a tin of sardines in tomato sauce? You should be aiming for 4grams of OMEGA 3 daily. That does not mean just 4 1000mg fish oil capsules as they usually only contain a third of a gram of omega 3. So you would need 12 daily. The tin of sardines is around 2g.

Ground flaxseed is probably the easiest way of raising omega3 status a couple of tablespoons each day Omega 3 food sources

Flaxseeds

08/31/2007 07:38 AM
sweetheartsuzee
sweetheartsuzee  

Can I just ask a really stupid question??

When IS it summer in Sydney???

I'm soo confused!!! Wink

**Suzee**

08/31/2007 09:53 AM
bshapiro
bshapiro  

I have temp problems too. not to often with cold ( I live in the micro climate that supposedly has the bad weather in the United States) but at least two or three times a day I feel some switch going off in my body and my body temperature spikes unbelievably high. first I feel like I can't breathe and I can't stand up. then my temperature spikes as buckets of sweat pour off my body soaking my clothing as my temperature rises.

The worst is when it occurs in public as the only thing that seems to help is ripping off all my clothes and standing in moving air outdoors. After 5-10 my minutes my temperature peaks and thermostat begins to reset and things swing the other way where even though the ambient temperature is pleasant I begin to feel cold and experience "chills" until change out of my wet clothes and put on a sweater or a sweatshirt.

Following each episode is a feeling of exaustion that last at least an hour.

I'd love to hear other peoples explanation of what causes this to happen.

08/31/2007 10:54 AM
10Myne

Well It's great to hear that from a man. My dr always puts it off to menopuase because I'm in my 40's. I had a total hystorectomy due to cancer when I was 30 years old. I already went through the change after the surgery. That was years ago.

This heat thing started about 5 years ago and each year it gets worse. This year I started to have the chills and exhaustion following the heatup. I have actually had to lay down in public because I couldn't even sit up following an episode. I would say I can't wait for winter but the cold brings on episodes of weakening in my limbs that leave me unable to use my legs and or arms. Very alarming and dangerous if I am driving. I don't drive much anymore.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved