MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/26/2009 06:14 AM

Numbness in thighs

suebaby41
suebaby41  

When I stand or walk for a short period, my legs go numb from my hips to my knees in both legs. I have seen an orthopedic doctor who prescribed nerve tests which showed no nerve problems. After the test, the doctor told me he did not know what caused it.

This has been going on for years. If I do not sit down and rest, my legs will hurt as well as being numb.

Could this be Fibromyalgia? Anyone else have this problem?

05/26/2009 06:20 AM
bonbon53

my right thigh goes numb when I have a busy day. It has a burning sensation and is numb from the hip to knee and when clothing or anything touches it, it has a very strange sensation.

05/26/2009 06:53 AM
amazzon

Hi Sue! Good morning!

I have severe pain from the lower back, hips and both outer thighs. I have to have steroid injections for my thighs. My rheumy says it's trochanteric bursitis. When I lay on my sides, my thighs hurt so bad and they become numb. The pain radiates down my legs. Those areas are very tender to touch.

I hope you find some relief soon darlin'!

05/26/2009 07:38 AM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Sue, I have this problem along with severe lower back pain. My leg pain and weekness is my worse problem. I too had other tests but it is definitely from the fibro. I hate it Sad

Hope you feel better soon.

Connie

05/26/2009 08:11 AM
bonbon53

Connie, I hate it too. I am finding that by being here, I am starting to accept this fm thing.

nice to meet you,

bonbon

05/26/2009 08:29 AM
suebaby41
suebaby41  

amazzon, you are probably right, it is trochanteric bursitis. I was told by the person who did the nerve test that I had bursitis in the hips. I never connected the two and neither did the doctor. Pressing on either of my hips feels like someone is sticking a hot knife into my hip. I can trace pain down my thigh on the inside and outside of both thighs.

What is so terrible is that with Fibromyalgia, I have gotten used to pain so I count the bursitis as just more pain. I have accepted the Fibromyalgia pain. When the doctors ask me on a scale of 1-10, how much pain am I having, I usually answer 8-10.

It is terrible to admit that I am used to being in pain.

05/26/2009 09:58 AM
amazzon

Not so terrible Sue. It is just something we have to deal with until, God willing, they figure out how to heal us for good. Trochanteric bursitis is very painful. I know exactly how you feel. The only thing that helps me with that pain are the steroid injections. I get one at least once a month. It makes the other pain a little more tolerable.

05/26/2009 10:04 AM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

bonbon, I'm glad that being here helps you. It has done that for so many of us, it has been a blessing to me. When I first came on and started reading some posts, it was like they were talking about ME. My family is very understanding but still, I just don't think anyone can fully get it unless they go through what we do and every single day of our lives. It's very difficult but we have to continue to count our blessings and be hopeful that it won't always be like this.

SmileConnie

05/26/2009 11:36 AM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Sue, I have different parts of my body go numb. Sometimes I think it's just from the pain.

At least your doctor was honest with you in saying he didn't know what it was. You got a love a doctor who admits when he's stumped.

When I get weird symptoms, if they're not related to other stuff, I just chalk it up to fm.

Hugs, Tina

05/27/2009 08:38 AM
Mispati3
Mispati3  

I, too, have numbness ~ from my waist down, both legs, worse on the left side. Mine's FM.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved