MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/27/2008 07:21 PM

Help me find another alternative!!!

Kimmy
Kimmy  

I am in recovery was wondering are there other options then taking meds(pain).I am currently taking Lyrica is this a narcotic.Unsure

02/27/2008 07:51 PM
fibroforever
fibroforever  
VIP Member

There are many options besides these types of meds.

Some people benefit from accupuncture, different types of supplements, chiropractic care, massage therapy, physical therapy, or warm water therapy (one of my favorite).

I can't think of anything else off the top of my fibro-foggy brain- but I'm sure there are more.

The problem with these, is that most insurance plans don't cover the 'traditional' types of medicine.

You hang in there! Smile

02/27/2008 07:59 PM
Kimmy
Kimmy  

I am trying to the pain is so bad in my back its has me on the verge of tears.I was at work today and got dizzy and slammed into the corner of a metal table.:angry.I am trying to stay positive and it hard right now,because of the pain,

02/28/2008 05:03 AM
coolmamma
coolmamma  

Kimmy, have you tried moist heat? Do you have relaxation cds or music that you could relax to? One of the purposes of the relaxation cds/music is that it helps to slow our breathing down. When we get in pain, our breathing becomes rapid & from the chest. If we cue our bodies to breath from the diaphram & more slowly, it helps to quiet the pain.

Otherwise, I have done both accupuncture & massage. Both have helped me but insurance doesn't cover them so I can't get either very often.

Best of luck to you. It's no fun to be in pain. Continue to lean on us. Ask questions, vent, cry, be silly....whatever you need, we are here.

02/28/2008 05:34 PM
indianajo

I love massages! But they're expensive and not covered as coolmama said.

One thing I learned a long time ago is to take the pain pills regularly and stay ahead of the pain. Once that pain gets a serious hold, it takes a lot to break the pain cycle.

I took pain pills for years. Sad At least it kept me functioning.

Hugs to Kimmy.

Jo

02/28/2008 07:02 PM
memango

I have to agree that it is very sad that most health insurance plans don't cover natural alternatives! I have several friends who have taken mangosteen juice and have had wonderful results! I could connect you with them if you would love to talk further! Hang in there! All my best!

02/28/2008 07:14 PM
wildfire826

The deep tissue massage at a massage parlor would be alot cheaper and almost as effective as massages at the fibro clinic plus they always have coupons you can sometimes get an hour for 30 to 50 bucks something is always better than nothing. Even if its once a month just remember your water before and after the massage or you'll be so dizzy and sore afterwards

02/28/2008 07:16 PM
indianajo

Boy did I learn that one! My masseuse told me the first two times to drink lots of water after. He forgot to tell me the 3rd time. I thought I was going to die! NEVER AGAIN did I forget the water after!

Jo

02/28/2008 07:19 PM
wildfire826

Yeah the first time I thought they were crazy I was like toxins??? Mumbo jumbo...yeah there was toxin release alright and water does wonders for it

02/28/2008 07:20 PM
indianajo

It'll make a believer out of you if you try to go without the water!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved