MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/04/2009 10:18 AM

rib pain making it hard to breathe

lmcclure4477
lmcclure4477  

I was wondering if anyone gets bad pain in your ribs and chest muscles and back which is tender to the touch and makes it hard to breathe and sometimes feels as though you are having heart problems. I had a major flare up in this area over the weekend and it is hard for me to breathe. Not sure if this is the muscles in spasm from the fibro or something else.

05/04/2009 11:04 AM
nolife
nolife  

Hi Imcclure! I'm Bonnie. Nice to meet you! Yes, many of us have had the rib pain you're described! It sounds like costochondritis. I've had it a few times and it was sooooo painful, even to breath. I don't really have great suggestions other than see your rheumy, use a heating pad, pain meds and splint it with a pillow if you must cough or move! Perhaps others have more suggestions for you?

Good luck! It does eventually go away! It is related to fibro in that most people with fibro get it, although I don't think they've established why they're related, but I could be wrong! Hugs! Bonnie

05/04/2009 11:04 AM
hopefull1
hopefull1  
VIP Member

Imcclure, I do have that occasionally. The doctors call it costochondritis and it is caused by the inflammation of cartilage between your ribs or sternum. No worries it will eventually go away. If you develop repeated attacks of this it is called Tietze's Syndrome. It usually clears up within 6 months to a year. If it gets real bad they can inject cortizone between the ribs but it is temporary relief at best.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved