MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/20/2009 08:39 AM

Help

AJ1971
AJ1971  

i'm 37 With what i think is fm always in pain my back,neck,face,hips,legs and the doc say mostly women get fm. The more i read this blog the more i think this is what it is. it's been 2yrs and they are doing nothing for me i'm in pain all the time any advice would be helpfull im' at my wits end.

04/20/2009 08:53 AM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

AJ, welcome to the group and I'm sorry you're in so much pain.

It often takes a long, long time to reach and FM diagnosis. For me it was 5 years, and I felt exactly the same way you do.

It is not just women that get fm. Many men get it, too, although they tend not to be as vocal about it. I think a lot of them suffer in silence.

Have you been to a rheumatologist? They are usually the ones who diagnose fm. There is actually a pretty simple test and some pretty simple guidelines that determine if you have fm.

The real problem is that so many doctors don't believe in it. They will frequently look for everything else under the sun, even the most exotic and rare of disorders, before they'll consider fm.

If you recognize yourself in the symptoms that you're reading about on here, the chances are probably good that it's what you have. You really need to see a rheumy. Then you can begin treatment. Hopefully, they will then adequately treat your pain.

So, tell me AJ, I checked your profile and it doesn't say- are you a man or a woman?

Regardless, you're very welcome here. Please post as many questions and comments as you like. That way you'll get the most possible out of the group.

There are a lot of caring, wonderful people here who will offer all the support and encouragement they can. Please tell us more about yourself and what the doctors have done already.

Thanks,

Tina

04/20/2009 09:07 AM
livn4jc4evr
livn4jc4evr  

Welcome Aj,

As Tina said FM is hard to diagnos it took me 9 years and several docs said I was crazy. The best advice I can give you is to get a good rheumatologist they are usually the best ones to diagnosis this. I was thought first to have Lupus however now they are 98 percent sure that it is Firbo instead.

Get hooked up with a good rhumy. Fill free to PM if you need anymore help. And fill free to post away here we are glad to have you here. In refrence to your question "if males get FM?" I know I have spoken to several other males here who have it. I do not know much about that area however I know if you post something they will respond just place it under the title male imput please.

Have a great day nice to meet you!

Amber

Post edited by: livn4jc4evr, at: 04/20/2009 09:08 AM

04/20/2009 11:41 AM
fesup
fesupPosts: 3851
VIP Member

Hello AJ

Nice to meet ya, hope you will come back often. and Post Post Post, so we can get to know you.

Were a pretty crazy bunch here, but we're also very caring and understand what your going though.

So I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

Hey what's your sign?

here's mine

I've always been a smiling face. that's one of the signs, Right?

04/20/2009 12:03 PM
aTinaL
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Fessy, forgive me, but I found this one and I just HAD to post it!

You take it, though, and keep it in your folder for future use!

Here's another welcome, AJ!

04/20/2009 12:06 PM
fesup
fesupPosts: 3851
VIP Member

OH I LOVE IT, WHERE DID YOU FIND SUCH A CUTIE?

Thank you I'll add it to my collection.

04/20/2009 12:10 PM
aTinaL
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I just ran across it while I was looking for something else. I thought you'd like it! It reminds me of you!

04/20/2009 12:11 PM
summer

Welcome to the party!

04/20/2009 12:14 PM
AJ1971
AJ1971  

Hi,there i'm a male and i have gone to a rheumatologist and she was the one that said most of the time its women that get fm and wants me to do some sleep thing fine with me but nothing for the pain.i did go to the doc today because i was in so much pain and he gave me some (Gabapentin is for seizures and nerve pain) i don't know if i want to take it but don't no what eles to do. lots of burnning in my back and hip he said it should help with that because it's the nerves that makes it burn i think he's just giving me stuff to shut me up.So here i am back at work when all i want to do is go home to bed but that can't happen or i will lose everything i have already missed a lot of work.

04/20/2009 12:23 PM
AJ1971
AJ1971  

P.S Thank's everyone for being so fast on a reply i was at the doc's. and YES i will be back often it's the only place ppl belive me thank's again for all your support A.J.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved