MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/16/2009 02:58 PM

How do you deal with fm

MMickel
MMickel  

I am having trouble controlling the pain, my memory is not very good, and I just don't feel good anymore don't sleep and work a full time job. Any advice?

04/16/2009 03:06 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

Welcome to our group, glad you found us. Everyone here is great, you will love it. You sound like most of us on here except some of us don't or can't work. I too have memory problems and am in constant pain most of the time. I take a variety of meds and have a great support system in place. Some days are really, really bad and I couldn't do it without the pain meds. Do you have a good doc? How long have you been diagnosed or have you? What have you tried? Hugs and prayers to you that you feel better. There will be others along with much better advice for you. Smile

Connie

04/16/2009 03:15 PM
aTinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

MMickel! Welcome to the club. We're very glad to have you with us, although we're certainly sad you're suffering.

I just don't know, I mean, you actually didn't give us a lot of info to go on. How long have you had it, what meds are you currently on, does your doctor accept fibro as a diagnosis, do you have the support of your family, what kind of work do you do?

There's all kinds of factors to be considered. Of course, there's all kinds of advice, too! That's the good news, eh?

I would suggest maybe the first thing to try are some natural supplements that can help boost your memory. Not necessarily gingko- there are way better ones than gingko.

When you can think a little more clearly, the rest may be a bit easier to deal with.

Again, welcome to the group. It's a pleasure to meet you.

Please, post! Post! Post! It's the best way to get as much out of the group as you can and you'll make some very good friends in the process!

04/16/2009 03:18 PM
FibroMarvelous
FibroMarvelous  

Hi M, Welcome! I'm new, too and have already found loads of support and good information here. I am one of the lucky ones in that I can work. However, about twice a year I have a MAJOR flare-up, like now, when I lose a week to 2 weeks of work. The pain is incredible. I do my best to laugh ... watch funny movies and try to kid around with friends (family's not the easiest crew for me to hang with). Somedays, though, I just allow myself to cry because it hurts, not because I have fibro. I don't cry too long. It just makes things worse for me. Other times, I go out online to do research ... take warm baths, read books ... divert my attention from the pain ... pray and sleep. Hope this helps. Big HUGS to you. Hang in there and we'll hang in there with you!

04/16/2009 04:03 PM
Janilee

Hi again Mickel, I'm not working now but when I was working it was such a painful experience both physically and mentally. I ended up being fired because I couldn't remember things from one second to the next, I was the slowest one in the agency because it hurt to walk up the stairs, sit in my uncomfortable chair, key in data, lift things.

I went home in tears every night and woke up in tears every morning. The mental part was the hardest. You got paranoid about you loosing your job when you absolutely needed it for the health insurance.

I applied for SSDI right after they released me from employment due to "downsizing". It took three years but I finally got approved just a few weeks ago. I think, for me that is, being fired was the best thing that happened to me. There were no other jobs in this small town that I was qualified to do or capable of doing. My hubby still worked and took on all the overtime he could just so that we could survive. I don't know how old you are or how long you've had fibro or if you are on any meds to help out. So stick around, keep posting and make lots of friends that can give you a lift when you need it.

Hugs

Jan

04/16/2009 04:32 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

Mmickel, welcome to the group, we are glad to have you but are really sad that you have to. fibro and working is very hard. Last Oct, I had to take a leave and am still not able to go back. Somedays I am not able to do anything and somedays I can do some. I have a good pain mgmt md that works with me on the mds and I take several so that I can function. One of my problems is fatigue, I sleep from 14-16 hours a day and am still tired. I also do not drive very far due to the fatigue.

I hope that you look around and find lots of support and information but if you have any questions, please ask.

04/16/2009 10:07 PM
MMickel
MMickel  

I just moved so I have not yet found A Dr. I don't have health insurance. THat is why I am still working. I take cymbalta and gabipentin. It does not seem to help. I take 1800 miligrams of gabipentin a day and 80 miligrams of cymbalta. I am a cashier at a convience store. I work from 3p.m. to 11p.m. five nights a week. When I get home at 11:30 I won't fall asleep until 2a.m. then sleep a couple of hours then awake a couple of hours then asleep a couple of hours I'll do this until I go back to work again. I really don't think my husband completely understands how I feel or how hard it is for me to work. He just keeps telling me to keep going and not to give up. I was diagnosed with FM a little over a year ago. Tried to get SSID but was denied so I went back to work. I have other health issures other than FM. I moved to warmer climate thought it would help but not sure it does. I have no one to talk to that understands what I am going through. The pain, memory problems, the constant diarreha or constipation, tired all the time I don't like to leave my apartment anymore. The big joke around here is I am either at work, sleeping or in the bathroom. It seems like that is all I do. I don't have friends and don't want them because I am not able to do alot of things. If I say something about being in pain my husband starts to complain about his back or something else bothering him from work. Sometimes I feel like what I am going through is not important to him. It is ruining our marriage because I can't talk to him about it. We don't sleep in the same room anymore and haven't for 6 months because I am awake so much. Just don't know what to do or how to handle it anymore. I don't have a life anymore and I am only 41 I don't even enjoy having having my 2 wonderful grandchildren around anymore . I just can't do the things I used to do. I read books and articles all the time on FM my old Dr. gave me exercises to do but they really don't seem to help. I am open to any advice I can get or any help at all that anyone can offer. Thank Ya All for your help and listening to me. Sad

04/16/2009 10:22 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

Mickel since you don't have health insurance or you are not able to stay home, have you tried taking tylenol PM or benadryl at night to help you try to sleep? My md gave me sleeping pills and if you see a md, you may want to ask about them but if you don't give them a try. If you get better sleep, you may feel a little better, I know that it makes some of my pain go away and if you sleep better, maybe you can at least get back into the same bed.

I know what it is like not to be able to go out or do things like you used to, it is very sad especially when you are still pretty young. I am 39 and the joke here is I am 93. Exercises do not help me either so I know what you are talking about there, how about a soak in the tub or getting your husband to give you a massage? I hope maybe something here can work a little bit.

Let me know if you need to talk or just need someone to listen, I am here. Good luck.

04/16/2009 10:38 PM
MMickel
MMickel  

I have tried several different sleeping pills prescribed and over the counter. I was still up every coule of hours. I do the long hot showers and soaking baths. I work because if I don't the money get tight and my husband blames me for it. He seems to get mad at me alot because I can't do things or I'm tired or just dn't feel like going places.

04/16/2009 10:42 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

I am sorry that he does that to you, do you think it is because he does not know what to do for you and that bothers him? My husband helps me alot but there are still times when he get very upset with me and you know I cannot blame him. Look at how many times we get upset with ourselves. Maybe when you find a md there he can go with you and learn about the condition and he will be ok. I have noticed in the last few weeks, my husband will look at me and say, ok you are about to fall over, it is time for you to go lay down. He does not relize how good that makes me feel because I know that he can tell that I really do feel bad.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved