MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/08/2008 10:52 AM

Vitamin D Deficiency

Kgrin
Kgrin  

Hi everyone, I finaly found a doctor that is willing to deal with my fibro the way I ask which is good, but among starting over basically with numerous tests she figured out that I have a major vitamin d deficiency, my level was at an 8 and it is supposed to be somewhere around 25 or higher, now she has me on a prescribed vitamin d and it is just making me sick because it is such a high dose, once a week for 4 weeks and then every other week for 4 weeks and then 1000iu's daily after that. Is anyone else having this issue? Have you found any remedies to help with the nausea? Please let me know if you have. I have read alot about Vitamin D lately and I really don't want what a lack of can cause for people. Thank you everyone and hope you have a great as pain free day as possible.

Kerri

02/08/2008 01:49 PM
coolmamma
coolmamma  

I also have this problem - I have consistently tested low on Vit D despite taking 1200 iu per day. I don't get the nausea though. It is frustrating to consistently test low on it. Every now and then I have to take a super does (prescribed) for 6 weekes then get tested. I guess it is something they are going to keep an eye on. Usually if I get the nausea from med side effects, I try to eat a few crackers. Otherwise I just don't eat a lot. If you continue to have problems with the nausea, make sure to discuss it w/ your dr. Maybe they can give you something to help. Best of luck!

02/08/2008 03:25 PM
singingangel

Try to get outside also. The sun gives you vit. D also. Some foods have it also. I would add those toyour diet. Ill try looking some up. Salmon, mackeral, tuna fish, egg yolk, are somethings that have in in it.

02/08/2008 03:52 PM
coolmamma
coolmamma  

The funny thing for me is I don't like seafood and last summer when I was walking all the time w/ no sunscreen on my vit d levels were still low. Wassat The dr didn't have any explanation for it...just told me to keep taking the vit d. Just thought I would share.

02/09/2008 05:07 PM
FightNFibro
FightNFibro  

I have daily nausea. It was so horrible I couldn't eat, lost a lot of weight (way too much) but after two years it is not nearly as bad - I can eat again and have been for about a year. No one knows why I have it still and it all started suddenly with the onset of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (horrible dizziness, falling backward, etc.) that lasted for weeks. This is when the fibro really started for me as well.

Anyway, after all the Rx meds I have tried (that knocked me out and didn't really help and natural things I tried and herbals, I found that liquid vitamin B complex you put under your tongue works better for me than anything else ever has! I can't believe no doctor suggested it to me as they recommend it often for pregnancy induced nausea! I found this out on my own.

Please don't try it though without asking your doctor if it is okay, okay? Smile

02/10/2008 05:24 AM
TeainTN
TeainTN  

how do you know if you are low in vitamin D?

02/10/2008 10:32 AM
coolmamma
coolmamma  

It's a blood test the dr orders. I have to get my level checked every few months cuz I keep running on the low side for some reason.

02/10/2008 11:36 AM
amfoster
amfoster  

When I was going through tests for autoimmune disorders, the rheumo found I was critically low in iron, vitamin D, and vitamin b-12. I have to give myself shots and take vitamin d once a week it's like 100,000 iu dose. It doesn't make me sick to my stomach though. Some good things for nausea are reglan (doesn't make you sleepy), compazine (also helps with aches and pains), and phenegran (if you are going to sleep and don't mind a dry mouth and throat when you wake up). I had to do IV iron treatments, every week for two months. It's important to find out our nutritional deficiencies because we need to feel as healthy as we possibly can.

02/10/2008 12:18 PM
FightNFibro
FightNFibro  

We are all so different in how we respond to meds as you all know. I personally was sedated by all of the meds amfoster described plus others I was tried on, some a whole lot more than others. However, that doesn't mean that someone else will be sedated by any of them. Smile That's just me. I have always been extremely sensitive to meds, even OTC.

03/17/2008 11:23 AM
Ted_Hutchinson

The correct test to assess Vitamin D3 status is a 25(OH)D test. UK readers can, if their doctors isn't prepared to order on the NHS, ask for a referral to The Doctors Laboratory. who will charge £40 In the USA Direct Labs—Vitamin D Test are fairly cheap.

Ideally you need to aim for a status of 50ng/ml or 125nmol/l or above. 60ng/ml or 150nmol/l is the natural level our bodies will maintain given ample sun exposure or adequate D3 supplements. I keep mine just under 150nmol/l with 5000iu/daily D3 and 20mins full body midday sun exposure whenever possible but I live in the UK so from October to March there is no UVB to make vitamin d and from April to September we get a fair bit of cloud hence the need for 5000iu/daily supplements.

I suspect anyone who is having trouble taking Vitamin d is using Ergocalciferol which is the synthetic form. Change to the natural form D3 cholecalciferol and I am sure you will have no problems.

Do be aware Vit d is fat soluble so it's best taken with a meal so your digestive juices are working. Also don't take magnesium at the same time. Magnesium can block the uptake of Vit d. Should be easy enough to take your vit d with breakfast and magnesium with your dinner.

Unless you are currently breastfeeding it doesn't matter if you take your D3 daily or weekly. Once it's in the system it hangs around for about 3 weeks so it all averages out. It may be easier for those who forget their tablets to just take 7 days worth on one specific day each week.

Bio-Tech D3-5 is what I use but those who live in sunnier places may prefer a lower dose in which case

Carlson, Vitamin D, 2000 IU, 360 Soft Gels $11.28

UK readers have to import Vitamin D3 to get an effective strength. Be aware orders over £18 are subject to VAT + Handling charge which will be collected on delivery so to avoid that keep the value of each order below $36.

Anyone who hasn't ordered from IHERB before can get a $5 introductory discount with the code WAB666.

There are other discount Vitamin suppliers such as Vitacost, Vitaminlife, Vitaminshoppe etc who may also be as cheap but do check the delivery charges The carriers tend to be more expensive than USPS.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved