MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/26/2009 05:01 AM

Stiffness

lmcclure4477
lmcclure4477  

How many of you have severe muscle stiffness?? This is one of my main concerns with fibro lately. I have to constantly stretch every half hour or I tighten up and it causes pain. I am most stiff in my neck, shoulders, back of my head, and the muscles that attach under my chin. Anyone else have this issue???

I have also started to get really stiff ankles and shins. Does anyone else experience this? It gets stiff and then my ankles ache!! I just need to hear that others get this way because I am scared because muscular dystrophy is in my family history. My great uncle and aunt had this disease. They did a muscle enzyme test and EMG which are two ways to diagnose muscular dystrophy and both tests were normal. I could use any advice from others!!

03/26/2009 05:28 AM
txmedicalfreak
txmedicalfreak  

Imcclure~

I have terrible stiffness, I wind up walking around like an old person Sad It is the worst in the morning and at the end of the day. But, it also starts if I have been sitting for a long time.

Mandy

03/26/2009 12:56 PM
summer

I have it and I don't like it. Car rides are a pain in the ........

03/26/2009 03:22 PM
svavarn
svavarn  

Post edited by: svavarn, at: 04/06/2013 07:05 AM

03/26/2009 03:32 PM
mammy
mammy  
VIP Member

I get the same things, I have had shoulder surgery that has helped some but my neck is really bad some days. I'm glad you mentioned the ankle stiffness, I was beginning to think I was losing my mind. When I get up from the chair or get out of bed, the pain and stiffness is so bad, I can't walk for a few minutes. My doc told me it was all part of the fibro. I tested negative for ms and went through all the nerve studies too. I hope you feel better soon....check with your doctor just to be safe. Smile

Connie

03/26/2009 03:58 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I have extreme stiffness and pain. Mine is caused from RA. What I do to help relieve this is: Do light stretches while sitting, moving around some, keep painful body areas heated using an electric lap blanket and heating pad, plus swearing socks and sometimes gloves, sometimes I turn on my one room heater. Hot baths help. I or hubby will massage painful body part(s). Pain lotions, I use Stop The Pain, and for me, pain meds. In fact, I don't think I could stand it without pain meds. The best thing I have found to date is my heating matress pad. I turn it on high about 1-2 hours before bedtime, lay a heavy folded quilt on my side (hubby keeps his side off) of the bed,this gets bed hot. I sleep on it all night and now when I get up it is with little pain or stiffness. However, after being up for about 30 mins, my pain and stiffness are back. In my case this tells me heat is the number 1 symptom reducer. But I can't (nor want to) lie in my heated bed all day.

03/26/2009 05:40 PM
lmcclure4477
lmcclure4477  

Yeah, I get stiffness and pain in my ankles and shins. My ankles are so stiff and they ache. I will try to using the heat to help loosen my muscles. I just get worried that my muscles get so stiff and tight and I always seem to think that there is something else wrong with me besides the fibro. Thanks for all of your help!!

03/26/2009 05:48 PM
MustangGirl24
MustangGirl24  

Yes, I always have issues with stiffness. My doc told me that if feeling up to it, sometimes exercise like a small walk, or even yoga is helpful. I've found that it can be, obviously it's different for everyone. My neck, shoulders, and hips usually are the worst. I also have horrible jaw pain, I seems with Fibro anything is fair game. Sometimes a good ol' fashioned heating pad or hot shower is a nice cure for the moment. Smile Take care, get well!

03/26/2009 05:50 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

I stay very stiff. When I do anything or don't do anything. Right now, my neck is so stiff it is numb in places and this is after I have taken a muscle relaxer. My stiffness is very bad in my neck, fingers, ankles and knees. I like heat on them it feels very good and I also like a hot shower. I think it would feel good to get in a hot tub but I don't do it because of my back it is hard to get comfortable in there.

03/26/2009 05:57 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

The RA keeps me stiff if I don't move and the OA hurts me the more I move. Seems like a no win situation. But not so. I have learned ways to help myself. I hope all get relief. Hugs

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved