MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/19/2009 05:43 AM

Working with Fibromyalgia

szalipski
szalipski  

I work at a law firm in front of a computer all day. Have for the last 17 years. Everyday is a struggle to make it through work. I pretty much have no life after work, I can't plan anything. I feel like I am just a second away from being let go, especially for the absences and leaving work early. There's so many days when I wish a big hole would open and swallow me up. I feel like I am trapped. I can't quit work for a year in hopes to get disability, because I am the one who has the bigger paycheck. I feel like I am in hell most days. I end up getting home from work about 5:15, eat and go straight to bed with ice packs on my head and neck. I have severe neck, shoulder and head pain all the time. But that's not even the worse thing about this stupid disease or whatever you call it. It's the fact that both my daughters are now complaining about the same symptoms. I hate the thought of them having to go through this.

How does everyone else get through the work day?

03/19/2009 05:57 AM
bc1028
bc1028  

Welcome to the group. Unfortunatly, I was like you, barely making it through the day. I was getting to work late and leaving early and going home at lunch to take a nap to make it through the day. I have finally had to get the md to put me on disability. Some days I think that I want to go back to work but I know there is no way I could make it a whole day. If I made it a whole week, I bet I would be in bed for the next month. Are you on any meds? I would talk to your md and see if there is anything he can give you to try and help you make it. Good luck.

03/19/2009 06:01 AM
szalipski
szalipski  

Lots of different ones I've tried, nothing has helped. Lyrica, Cymbalta, Topamax, anti-d's etc. I am going to have him fill me out an FMLA slip when I go back, but I can't not work, we'd be homeless!

03/19/2009 06:07 AM
mkdickman

Funny, I was just wondering the same thing! My diagnosis came about 2 years ago so I haven't been balancing the work/ fibro thing for as long as you, but I understand where you are coming from. I sit at my desk all day too and I've found that if I get up and walk around a bit during the day it kind of helps to at least keep me awake and ease some of the pain. I'm dealing with a flare up right now and would love to just call in sick until this goes away, but it's just not possible. I'd love to be able to stop working, but that's just not possible either. Hopefully others will post how they deal with working/fibro and we can both benefit from their advice! Just know that you aren't alone!

03/19/2009 06:19 AM
bc1028
bc1028  

Since you work in an attornies office, I am sure you know more than me, but is it a large office? The reason I am asking is because I from what I remember fmla applies to companies with a certain number of employees (I think at least 25) I would still get him to fill out the slip even if that is the case, because hopefully, they will abide by the act anyways.

03/19/2009 06:20 AM
szalipski
szalipski  

Yeah, it's really big and I know they have to do it. Part of me just wishes they would lay me off so I could stay home for a couple of months and collect unemployment and then go find another job. But I know that would be too stressful. I'm so used to taking care of myself.

03/19/2009 06:23 AM
bc1028
bc1028  

I bet, it would almost be a blessing in discuise. Good luck, maybe your md will tell them that you can only work half days or something. By the way that is a cute pic on your profile, is that your baby?

03/19/2009 06:26 AM
szalipski
szalipski  

I hope so. It seems like with FM, you're stuck between a rock and a hard place because your problems don't show up on tests and it's hard to get someone to believe you, even doctors.

That's my grandbaby. I think he's adorable too! Thanks.

03/19/2009 06:38 AM
janew15

Take it one day at a time. Have a goal too, like saving your sick time. I too find excuses to get out of my chair whenever possible. My computer at work is like the ball and chain. I am within five years of a pretty good retirement so I will tough it it out unless they force me out.

The people I know with fibro who are maintaining and not getting worse and maybe even getting better, do not take medication, they do not eat processed foods or put other chemicals in their bodies, and they exercise and stretch everyday. No matter how lousy I feel I resist the urge to crawl in bed, I at least do the dishes or pickup and always make the bed in the morning, its not much but I can feel ok about myself when I do. That in turn seems to help me sleep better cuz I dont feel like a useless slug. Yesterday I worked 10 hours so I was really, really tired when I got home, and did not have a chance to exercise so I went outside and got a garden bed ready to plant. It only took a half hour, i got a little exercise without getting too physical before bedtime. Oops got rambling on , sorry.

03/19/2009 08:13 AM
Nitalynn
Nitalynn  

How do you wear your hair? I know this may sound like a strange question but I had lots of problems with my neck and shoulders a while back and it stopped when I got my hair cut and quit wearing it in a bun in back.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved