MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/14/2009 06:22 PM

Methadone for pain

rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

Someone has been suggesting to me that I try methadone for the pain. I was wondering if any of you are on it and if it helps. Are there any side effects or problems?

03/14/2009 06:26 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

I am on methadone Er (extended release) and I have had no problems with it. It has worked better than most anything else that I have tried. I do have break through pain but it does not make me as tired as some does and I can function which is a big plus with me.

03/14/2009 07:10 PM
TinaL
aTinaLPosts: 11832
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Ladies, I say go for it. It's synthetic heroin so it should be great for pain. Hooray for dr's that are willing to actually treat pain!

03/14/2009 07:18 PM
ShirleyP
ShirleyPPosts: 250

Just a word of warning. I saw this on 20/20, or another news show and it said even if you take this perscription right, you could still die from it.Find out the facts before you decide to take it. Check out the celebs who have died from using this. They were not herion users either.

The reason it's being used,is that it is a cheaper source of pain medication.

I tried to post a web site but it didn't work. If you do a search on "death by methadone", there are several listed. The one I was trying was about the stats from 1999-05. There might be more current ones.

I don't want to sound like an alamist. I just don't want anyone to die needlessly.Sad

Hugs,

Shirley

Post edited by: ShirleyP, at: 03/14/2009 20:24

03/14/2009 07:28 PM
amommy02
amommy02  

Your blood levels of the drug need to closely monitored by your doctor. That's really all I know about it. I'd try anything if I found a competent doctor willing to prescribe it.

03/14/2009 07:29 PM
rmm164
rmm164  
VIP Member

Thanks you all.

03/14/2009 08:59 PM
Barbkubacki

I have been on methadone for over a year now and I don't have any problems with taking it. I take 40-45mg a day. If I need a break through medicine I take oxycodone. Theses two do not take away all my pain.

03/15/2009 11:39 AM
bc1028
bc1028  

I will say that you should be very careful taking this as with any other pain med. My md is very careful when he perscribes meds. he will only do it for 30 days at a time and you must come back in before you can get more and it has to be after a certain date. Another thing that my md does that I think is very good is that he encourages family members to be involved with your medical decisions and tells them that they are always welcome to come to any appointment and are encouraged to call him if they see or hear something that they feel is not right.

03/15/2009 12:30 PM
lisanaylor2007
lisanaylor2007  
I'm an Advocate

I agree with being very careful taking this med. You need to know the facts. My boyfriends brother was an ex addict and took it. And he went back to the real thing. It took his life. However, we had a lot of reservations about me taking it for the pain. But the dr told us all the pros and cons and we all discussed it together. I am taking it. I have been for about 2 months. It does help. But like most of us I still have break through pain. I am only on 5mgs which is not alot. But I will be seeing my dr on the 19th.I think that he may be changing it then. But we are taking it little by little because my body is really sensitive to different drugs. Keep an open mind about it. But do your homework. It does help though

03/15/2009 01:25 PM
Lazy1
Lazy1  

Have you tried any other meds like Neurontin or Elavil? They aren't pain pills, but are supposed to help control pain.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved