MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/05/2009 07:16 PM

Do any of you take fish oil?

bc1028
bc1028  

My husband was talking to a friend of his today that is a chiropractor and asked him if he had any tips for me that would help me feel better. He suggested that I take fish oil he said that it is good for anti inflammitory, and if you have any arthritis it is good for that as well as good for your cardio and since it is natural, he says it will not harm your liver or your kidneys. I know this is not new your your cardio but I was wondering if anyone took it for anti-infalmmitory? He said it is something that you would have to take for about 90 days at about 1000 mg per day with food to really get to work well.

03/05/2009 07:55 PM
Casty
0hCasty  
VIP Member

I can't even imagine what THAT would do to my gout. I hope it works out for you! HUGS

03/05/2009 08:15 PM
bc1028
bc1028  

I am not sure if I am going to take it or not, I am sure it cannot harm me but I am still going to check with my md first. I have heard that some natural meds can still affect meds that you are on and even affect meds that you go on. I am being over cautious I know but there are so many things out there that you hear about all the time. I just am wondering it anyone is taking it now.

03/05/2009 09:45 PM
AutumnSunset
AutumnSunset  

BC, I take 3000 mg of fish oil daily. It is good for your heart, as well as, inflammation. I'm not sure how much it is helping my inflammation (I don't have any arthritis, just fibro pain.) but I believe that it has helped my heart. I had a heart catherization last October because of an abnormal stress test. The doctor expected to see some blockage, especially since I had to have a stint put in my subclavian artery (under collar bone) about 8 years ago. He said that was a sign that I have heart disease, and would probably end up with more blockages. After the cath, he said that my arteries were clear, except for very minor buildup in one of them. He was really surprised. Needless to say, I'll keep taking it just because of that.

If you do decided to take it, I highly recommend it with food. Also, you may want to experiment with different brands. I tolerate some of it better than others, as in not tasting it.

03/06/2009 02:11 AM
raynedae
raynedae  
VIP Member

I take 3 capsules a day, forget how much that is. My doc said I could take as many as 6 a day but I can't afford to take as many as I'd like. I take it for my eyes, it's supposed to help with dry eyes. I also take it for inflammation (osteo) and for depression. I notice a big difference when I run out.

I take two at night and one in the morning. When I was taking one dose a day, I took it at night to avoid tasting it.

03/06/2009 02:18 AM
InnerNeener
InnerNeener  

Do you only taste it when you take it or does the flavor come up at other times? Sorry if that's too personal.

03/06/2009 04:33 AM
bc1028
bc1028  

He told me that if you don't take it with food that you will burp up a fish taste. Is that true?

03/06/2009 05:10 AM
txmedicalfreak
txmedicalfreak  

All~

My doctor had me take some Omega3 Fish oil that she was selling so, I bought a bottle. I mainly bought it from her because the line that she has is pharmaceutical grade. I had taken fish oil before without a problem, even having an allergy to anything that swims (fish, shellfish, etc.) I took one the night that I got them and then one the nest morning. About 20 minutes (or less) after taking the second one, I was _covered_ in hives.

Now, I take a good quality Flax Seed Oil. It is the non-fish Omega3

Mandy

03/06/2009 06:34 AM
mellydramatic
mellydramaticPosts: 577

My suppliment is flaxseed oil too. Hubby takes the fish oil though. He keeps it in the freezer. That way he doesn't get the "fishy" burps. It was the health food store clerk that suggested that!

03/06/2009 06:59 AM
txmedicalfreak
txmedicalfreak  

Melly~

Yes keeping smelly liquid vitamins does help with the burping, yuck Sad

Mandy

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved