MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/10/2012 04:54 PM

Ankle pain and swelling

hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Hey all. I got out of the car earlier and stepped down. Normal stuff. No twisting, no turning, nothing. However, it started hurting and my tendon(I guess) around my ankle bone(the part that sticks out on the outside) is swollen. The other side is fine. It feels like I twisted my ankle or something but I didn't. Anyone had this?

06/10/2012 05:28 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Amy, often my right (inside) ankle will swell badly and hurt for a couple of days at a time for no reason. I don t know if it is actually Fibro or because I am on my feet so much .

Have you tried icing it ? That might help ~~~

Marilyn

06/10/2012 05:55 PM
rwslove
rwslove  

My left ankle swells a lot but doesn't hurt. I hope it starts feeling better.

06/10/2012 06:04 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

Swelling that doesn't hurt is usually edema (too much water in the blood). If you can press in and the impression of your finger stays for a few seconds, that's called pitting edema. It could indicate anything from a blood pressure problem, to heart problems causing fluids to pool and puddle, to a kidney problem (they aren't filtering and getting rid of enough water). But what you're describing sounds more like a pulled muscle or tendon. I don't think it's Fibro, sounds more like a joint problem, tendonitis or something similar.

If it's not pitting, just swollen, and hurts to move, I'd try icing it down and staying off of it, get it above your heart by laying on the couch and propping the foot on a pillow or the couch arm. If the swelling isn't MUCH better by tomorrow, go to the doctor. It could be anything from your heart, to a torn tendon. Or, it may just be used too much (like doing a lot of walking) and be sore a few days, like a stone bruise kinda.

Hope that helps!

06/10/2012 06:08 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I didn't think it was fibro related. It's just that tendon area around the outside ankle bone. Like the bottom and front side of the knobby part that sticks out. That's the only thing swollen. It's weird. No pitting. I know to check for that in swelling but this is a small area. It hurts when I'm still, but not too bad. It's when I flex the foot or put pressure on it while walking(which may be the flexing there too) that it hurts the most. That's why I'm thinking tendon. I'm gonna wait and see what's going on but just wondered if any one else had done this and what it turned out to be. I could have subluxed my ankle bone there and that caused swelling. I don't know.

06/10/2012 06:20 PM
ushie

You might have pulled something--ice and heat by turns, and have it checked in a day or so?

06/13/2012 04:58 AM
gian
gian  

Hi Hatbox121, I also have exactly the same thing, in the same place, left ankle. I've had it for about 3 months and it was the final straw that sent me to my GP again (previous pains and current pains, stiff and painful hands and feet, very painful knees and basal thumb arthritis, had been mentioned to my Dr but largely ignored) The ankle was the last straw and the GP finally referred me to the rheumatologist, saw her Monday and she outright diagnosed me with FM. (I was surprised that she did it so quickly but she seems very sure.) so I think it may be something to do with FM? Its OK except for when I flex it or walk on it (if I stretch in bed and point my toe its really painful!) I don't know if it could be a sprain if it lasts 3 months...hope it goes away for both of us soon as its just another annoyance/pain that we have to deal with. But no treatment has been given for it yet, so I have just added it to my list of pains, I will speak to my GP again in a couple of weeks if it still has not gone, please cen you post if you get any answers too?

Many thanks

06/13/2012 07:56 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Mine is getting better. I think I just jacked a tendon up somehow. My connective tissue is very weak and not formed properly so it's easy for me to injure a joint. I knew that's what it was. Just wanting to check and make sure my brain was thinking right. Sometimes it disappears! I will say that if you continue to have an ankle issue in that area, you may want to check with a podiatrist. There's two tendons that run along that area that can tear a bit. Now I'm not saying that's what it is. Just that if it stays swollen you might want to have it looked at by someone else.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved