MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/28/2012 05:23 PM

fibro and hyperthyroidism

gnosiswoman

Howdy - I've seen alot of discussion about connections with hypothyroidism and fibro - but never hperthyroidism - which I have been treated for (unfortunately it didn't make me skinnyWink Anybody have a thought or two?

05/28/2012 05:27 PM
mem1318

I have Hashimoto thyroid. I don't think it make a different in which one we are diagnose with.

05/28/2012 10:45 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

I looked around, and tried to find something on this, because I really don't know. I would say to talk to your dr. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but welcome to the group!! HUGS

05/28/2012 11:49 PM
gerinaz

I have had hyPOthyroidism for 25 years. Hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia have some similar symptoms and they can also be related to each other. My sister has hyPERthyroidism. It does not seem that the symptoms are similar BUT she was told that hyperthyroid problems can lead to fibromyalgia because the metabolism is running fast and the hyperactivity can cause excess stress and strain on the body. This is just based on our experiences and some things that doctors have told us. I don't know that any of it s concrete science, but it makes sense, doesn't it???? Hashimoto's disease is a form of hypothyroidism, but more serious. because of what causes the decreased amount of thyroid hormone. Of course, it's best to check with your doc on this issue.

Hugs

Geri

05/29/2012 01:22 AM
Bananers

I'm not sure about a connection between hyper and fibro; like you said, most seem to have hypo. I also could only find articles relating fibro and hypo.

05/29/2012 03:08 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I haven't done any research on this either. However, several of the thyroid issues can lead to problems so I wouldn't doubt that hyper could too. I have a cousin who tests hyper but has only hypo symptoms. Sometimes the body is a funny thing.

05/29/2012 03:35 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

I had my thyroid out from Hashimoto's when I was an old girl of 13! It was so rare back then, I had a parade of doctors thru my hospital room, come to see such a young girl with Hashimoto's. They told me (at least at that time in history) that it only affected men over 40!

I've been on thyroid replacement hormone most of my life.

05/30/2012 09:25 AM
gnosiswoman

Thank you everybody for the great responses!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved