MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/24/2012 01:28 PM

Deep shoulder muscle pain :-( help?

jmt1127
jmt1127  

Hi all,

I'm new to this online support site....I woke up a week ago with severe pain in my left shoulder blade...I went to my rheumatologist and he gave me a trigger point injection of 40 mg of Cortisone....now I sit here in SERIOUS agony with deep muscle pain in my shoulders and pain in my neck and other joints (my sternum especially). Nothing really helps much....I have had low grade fever as well....I've tried muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatories, heating pads (helps for a little while) and ice packs (numbs somewhat)...I've even tried Vicodin which barely took the edge off....any suggestions? I'm going a bit batty with the pain ...trying to stay distracted and calm.

Also, I'm on Lyrica (75 mg 2x a day) and Cymbalta (60 mg at night). What do all of you do to manage your pain??

Thanks!

Jill Smile

05/24/2012 01:40 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

I have a similar shoulder pain at times. My rhomboid muscle (it pulls the shoulderblade back to the spine after you reach forward or upwards) goes into DEEP spasms occassionally. The only thing that really helps me a lot with it, other than muscle relaxers and trigger point injections (which sounds like you've had) is to get one of those massagers, the kind that beat back and forth really fast and have the rounded knobs, after it. Most Fibromites can't stand a massager like that, but I'm not really touch sensitive like many are. If you had a T.E.N.S. device, that would work, but you didn't mention it, so I assume you don't have one.

If you don't have a massager, or can't afford to get one, have someone take the ball of their thumb and pressing hard, massage in slow circles. It'll hurt like hell at first, but it's the only way I know to get that muscle to unlock. (This is all assuming your pain is the same as the one I get. Mine feels like someone's trying to scrape the edge of the shoulderblade bone with a knife.)

Oh, and welcome to the group! You'll love it here!

05/24/2012 01:45 PM
jmt1127
jmt1127  

Thanks for the quick response Smile !

I wish I had a TENS unit....I need to look into getting one....your pain sounds a lot like mine. It feels like the shoulders are SUPER stiff and it does feel like I'm being knifed at times Sad I am very sensitive to touch sadly...but I think I will have my hubby massage me later with the ball of his thumb. Thanks so much! Off to my hot bath I go Smile

Jill

PS very happy I found this site!

05/24/2012 02:27 PM
mem6526

Hi Jill,

Welcome to the group! Smile

They sell TENS Units on Amazon! I purchased one from there.

Just a suggestion! Wink

05/24/2012 03:41 PM
FibroCFS
FibroCFS  

I was able to get a TENS through my insurance. It does not really help much, sometimes causes pain but used carefully at least "something" is going on with my muscles besides pain. It never really gets rid of the pain but it just feels good for something else to happen to them.

I get that deep muscle shoulder blade pain. Absolute agony. Sometimes it just won't go away and since I am disabled from Fibro I at least do not have to work so I can rest.

05/24/2012 04:38 PM
rwslove
rwslove  

Hi Jill, Welcome. I am new too and these people have been awesome. Helpful and caring. I hope you find something to help. I have a lot of trouble with my shoulders. Sometimes massage helps sometimes makes it worse. I just have to have my husband start carefully to see if it will help at the time. Hugs.

05/24/2012 04:49 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

This shoulder pain, and the bursitis in my left hip are by far my worst pains. They aren't necessarily caused by the fibro (my hip is joint degeneration disease), but my Fibro would be much more managable if I didn't have those two pains. It's a vicious circle... shoulder pain = tension (bracing against pain) = fibro flare = heightened pain, and so on and so on. You get the idea.

Ice helps that shoulder more than anything, because that muscle locking up like that is inflammation (as is bursitis). Taking Advil or Aleve might help. Fibro in general isn't inflammatory, and NSAIDS don't work on it. But muscle spasms will sometimes respond to anti-inflammatories. I'd ice it down for a while to numb it a bit, then get the hubby to rub it with the thumb. That's almost like an accupressure treatment. Then more ice afterwards. First time that thing locked on me, I thought a heating pad would help, so I put one on the bed, laid back on it and sent that muscle into such a locked spasm, I literally came off the bed screaming. Treat it more like a sprained joint... give it time to heal.

Mine was caused by years of truck driving and putting my elbow up in the window. It strained all those muscles on that side in the shoulder area. But anything I do now that strains it, like crocheting (just the way I hold my shoulders) and it'll go into spasms again.

05/24/2012 05:53 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Welcome to the group. I think you might want to call your PCP's office or call the rheumy again. Running the fever leaves me wondering if you don't have some minor infection that has your lymph nodes inflamed causing you pain in that area. I could be way off. I still think it's worth a call to the doc if the pain is that bad.

05/24/2012 06:28 PM
AJ1971
AJ1971  

Hi jmt1127. Glad you found.d us. I no what u mean about the shoulder blade pain mine hurts all the time but when I have a flare or it just want to hurt worse it feels like someone is cutting my shoulder blade out and then it goes around to my chest and mimic a heart attack or at least that's what it feels like (I think I have never had one) but I have ended up in the ER so many times bc of that feeling but I take cymbalta 30mg cyclobenzaprine 5mg-10mg PRN oxycodone 5/325mg 1-2 every 6-8hrs and clonazepam. 5 3 times a day and alprazolam (xanax) PRN so that's what I do,for pain but it does not always work.

05/24/2012 06:29 PM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

hello there welcome to the group, so many thoughts and ideas.one thing for relief right now try a rice sock, fill a sock with rice and microwave to where you want it..this helps some..alot of things are trial and error sadly..

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved