MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/23/2012 11:13 AM

Well...what a let down(page 2)

mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Thanks everyone for your love an support. You know that is worth more than anything else to me. I don't know what I would do without this group and the wonderful caring people in it. Thank you all so much for your compassion.

Well, I called and made the appt for the rheumy. I go July 5th as that is the earliest appt. I do need some suggestions though. I haven't been back to the pain clinic since Feb. I was supposed to make an appt for April, and didn't. I have literally hoarded my meds, so that I would not have to worry about running out. To this day, I still have enough for another month. They gave me enough meds for Feb and March...Sooooo my predicament is that if I make an appt to go back and they give me a "whiz quiz" I will show positive for narcotics...This is going to seem strange to them that I still have meds after all this time. I'm afraid they won't give me anymore because of this...My other option is to try to not take them for 5 days prior to the appt and then I would test clean. I'm not sure what to do, cuz I don't want to look bad. I havent' done anything wrong, except to accept scripts when I still had plenty from the last time.

My only other choice is to wait til July, and see if the Rheumy will prescribe my meds but that's a ways away, plus, if he doesn't, I'm still in the same boat....

Does anybody have any suggestions? You know how they scrutinize us over these meds. Let me know if you any ideas.... Love you all, and appreciate all you do!! HUGS

05/23/2012 09:18 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Somebody please help me decide what to do.....

05/23/2012 10:01 PM
shayluna
shayluna  

You seem to be in quite a predicament. I really have no idea what you should do, not sure if I would know what to do in your situation. I feel lucky, my primary doctor suspected fibro but didn't feel comfortable making the full diagnosis. She sent me to a rhumie who seems to be pretty good about things, I hope he continues to be as good as he was my first appointment. I hate the fact those who have abused the higher power pain meds have ruined things for those of us who need them. I hope you get somewhere with your rheumie to get some relief soon.

05/24/2012 01:38 AM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

I don't know why they would test you for narcotics and expect it to show clean, when you have a chronic condition and you were prescribed meds! What else do they expect? Sheesh! You can take your meds and be honest with them. You didn't take them daily, you take them "as needed" and that's why you had enough to last til now. I used to have Tramadol "as needed" and a single bottle that was suposed to be 30 days, lasted me 6 months or more. I would *think* that would be a good thing, it means you aren't an addict, you aren't taking them continuously and try to do without them unless absolutely necessary. Isn't that a good thing (in their eyes)? If you go that route, take the bottle in with you, showing the last time you filled it. Take out all but a few of the pills first! Tell them you only take them as needed, but you are running out and a new prescription is needed. That's what I did with my Rheumy, and he had absolutely no problem giving me a new scrip.

That's just my opinion of course... but there's you one option.

05/24/2012 05:16 AM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Thanks to you both. I guess that is the thing to do, just let them know that I am still hanging on to the few I have left, and go from there. They gave me a big load of them to start with, and as time has gone on, I have needed them more and more. I am up to 2-3 per day now, as when I first started taking them, there were days when I only took one. This thing is progressing quickly, and the meds that I started out with are now being taken pretty much as directed, where I didn't need that before. Well, we'll just have to see.

05/24/2012 06:11 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

hey kido,

I would go with the honesty approach,if they say anything tell them you had a few good days where you didnt have to take them as much and thse are the ones you have survived on..be angry with them and difiant if you have to...I know how stressfull this is,and it is so stupid that we have to worry about things like this having this is sttressful enugh dealing with these docs and clinics are a new kind of stress we dont need..but I know you are right I am sure since it has been awhile you will be whizzed..you have a prescript so dont worry about that

05/24/2012 11:38 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I would probably go with the honesty approach as well. Your spot is hard. If you tell them then they think that you don't need as much since you've been hoarding them. If you don't and hold the meds, then you've been doing fine without them and don't need them then either. Make sure you take you bottles in to show them if you do go with the honesty approach so they don't think you are buying off the street.

05/24/2012 11:43 AM
mem6526

Mabri, I hope that today is a better day for you! Smile

hugs23

05/24/2012 12:07 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Thanks everyone. I guess honesty is always the best policy...Sucks though!! LOL I just don't want them to think that either I don't need them. I need them now more than ever. I will call them tomorrow and see when I can get in. It makes me so mad to have to defend myself for taking the meds that I was prescribed. They think everyone is a drug addict...I am so far from that. I used to laugh about taking a pain pill, how it would get me all loopy, and that it was "cool" Know what? It aint "cool" anymore. Not when you have to take them, and the loopy days are gone.

Love you guys!!! You are the best!! HUGS

05/24/2012 04:48 PM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

Mabri are u seeing duke docs?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved