MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/22/2012 04:49 PM

New here and lost

Lovett

Hello, my name is Lovett and I'm 59. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia In January. The pain ,lack of sleep ,and not knowing what to do or where to start to help myself feel better has me lost.I hope I can learn to help myself here. Thanks very much.

05/22/2012 04:54 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

Welcome to your new family! I hate that you had to come here, but am so glad you found us.

You are allowed, and encouraged, to question, ask, rant, rave, live, love, cry, whine, and just about anything else here. We all "get it" because we have all "got it." Read a lot of old posts, there's a ton of information on here, or you can type a subject into the search box above to find lists of posts about that topic.

Did a Rheumatologist diagnos you? They are the main type of doctor who does, althought pain managmenet doctors do also, and internal medicine doctors, and neurology doctors. Have you been put on any pain medication? I assume you've been tested for Rheumatoid Arthritis, lupus, hashimoto's thyroiditis and others?

If you give a bit more information on where you stand, what meds you're taking, etc, we might be able to make a few suggestions to help!

05/22/2012 05:02 PM
mem6526

Lovett,

welcome y d1e9d127a5d17718d4845510bd4b603c

05/22/2012 05:21 PM
Lovett

Thanks and yes a rheumatologist diagnos me after about two years of going back and forth to the doctors. Right now I'm taking meds to help me sleep and over the counter meds.I just want to get a good nights sleep learn what I can do to help. Thanks again..

05/22/2012 05:22 PM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

welcome to the group.. you have just found the most caring compassionate group... ask questions jump right in ... there is no wrong or right... we are all in this together (unfortunately) but we are and we are here for you!! welcome!

05/22/2012 05:24 PM
Lovett

Thank you all very much.

Post edited by: Lovett, at: 05/22/2012 05:25 PM

05/22/2012 05:48 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Welcome to the group! If you'll type in sleep problems or what not you'll see tons of threads come up cause it's a common problem. Feel free to look around, hop in wherever and whenever you like and just be yourself!

05/22/2012 05:49 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

Hot bath soaks with epsom salt might help. Heating pads are your best friend. Use a sock buddy (an old sock, filled with rice and tied closed, heated in the microwave). Salon Pas patches for localized pain. Melatonin for help sleeping (it's OTC). Exercise helps with muscle strength, but it's often too much for us, so water therapy is good. The water supports your weight and keeps from having so much of a strain on your joints, while providing resistance for every move you make (water is harder to move thru than air). OTC tylenol is ok, but NSAIDS (non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs) like Aleve and Motrin don't do any good, as this isn't an inflammatory condition.

Has your doctor put you on anything at all? Some possibilities are Lyrica, Cymbalta, and Savalla (the only FDA approved drugs for Fibro, but they have a long list of side-effects). Another possiblity is Neurontin (generic gabapentin) which is for nerve pain. Muscle relaxers tend to help too, especially at night to sleep.

Maybe some of the others will have more suggestions.

05/22/2012 07:47 PM
faieriemama
faieriemama  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome Lovett good thing you found us this group is fantastic and there are lots of articles on ways to help deal with everything from all kids of pain to how to tell others about what you have. Just click on the articles tab and read anything and everything there. Looking forward to seeing oyu around.

05/22/2012 07:59 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Welcome to the group. I see that you have already been briefed on what we do here, and hope that we can be of help to you. They are right, this is the most compassionate, caring and loving group ever! Please feel free to jump in as you feel comfortable. You are now considered part of the family, so welcome to the fibro family!! HUGS

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved