MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/16/2012 08:34 PM

Fibro and Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Andrea12

I've been dealing with IBS (possible Crohn's) and fibro. I know that research has shown that this is a common coupling. Just wondering who else is dealing with IBS as well and what is being done for those symptoms?

Thanks! Smile

Post edited by: Andrea12, at: 05/17/2012 03:53 PM

05/16/2012 08:44 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Andrea,

Welcome to the fibro group. Don't think I have had the pleasure of meeting you yet.

I have not been to the dr in awhile due to insurance, but I do know that in the last year I have developed a lot of issues in that dept that I never had before. I am just assuming that it is IBS, though I've not been dx'd with it. Just another gift from the fibro fairy...LOL.

The best advice I can give is to eat right. It is important to make sure you are eating a lot of fiber, lots of fruit, and drink lots of water. (This is for constipation, I actually have the other issue) Either way, a good diet will definately help the situation. I don't have a lot of experience in this, but I know how I eat determines how bad my issue is. Sure there is someone with better answers that will be along.

Welcome to the fibro family!! HUGS

05/16/2012 08:49 PM
FibroCFS
FibroCFS  

I find that there really is no rhyme or reason. Coffee can set it off but I only drink it once a week or every two weeks. But, it just happens and I just pretty much eat the same foods. One time a bout lasted 2 months, this last one lasted 4 days. And I pretty much eat all the kinds of foods I always do. 100% whole grain breads and pastas, fresh veggies and fruit, soups and stews that I make. Cheese and Crackers and such. I have found when I do deviate and eat something out of the norm I don't necessarily get it. Mine seems to be more tied to my Flares which is tied to activity when I am well and then I flare and the weather.

05/17/2012 03:03 AM
Herblady
Herblady  

Girls.....peppermint helps alot for IBS.....you can buy enteric coated tablets....or drink peppermint tea.....it sooths the smooth muscle in the "gut".....

05/17/2012 08:44 AM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

Catnip is best (yes, catnipis actually a mint). Peppermint if you can't find Catnip. I prefer a blend of spearmint, peppermint and catnip for flavor. Catnip tea is great for babies with colic too! Stops the cramps and spasms.

If you get peppermint oil or buy peppermint candies for IBS, look carefully at the label tho. You want real peppermint oil... not flavorings.

05/17/2012 09:24 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

You said possible Chrohn's. Have you been through the testing or is the testing coming up? Because IBS and Chrohn's are two different things with different treatments. I think the above advice is good. I'd only add to that to do a food diary and add into that or separate your bowel habits. There are various places you can go to get print outs if you'd like them pre formed.

05/17/2012 03:51 PM
Andrea12

Thanks very much everyone!

Yup I have the starting signs of Chrohn's after my last colonoscopy and it is extremely common in my family. But because it has not been fully diagnosed I have been treating IBS. I will have to go for another colonoscopy in a year to see if things have changed.

I will definitely try out all of your advice! Smile

Post edited by: Andrea12, at: 05/17/2012 03:52 PM

05/17/2012 06:04 PM
FibroCFS
FibroCFS  

I am going to get the coated tablets. It says they will then open in your intestine and not your stomach. I guess you only take when you are having a bout. I don't like Peppermint Tea so I will see how this goes.

05/17/2012 06:08 PM
SweetJulie62
SweetJulie62  

I have been dealing with ibs for years i take alot of Imodium, helps slow things down, cramps, nausea. I am also diabetic and i take glucophage which causes same symptoms.

I know stress can bring it on quickly. Hang in there!

Julie

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved