MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/14/2012 01:30 PM

i have trouble standing up after i have sit (on

dciree
dciree  

chair or in bathtub) or laid down (on the floor which is my bed)

i cannot muster the energy and have too much pain to stand up again when i need to go somewhere so i am essentially stuck in place. anyone in similar situation? any tips?

05/14/2012 01:33 PM
Adewyn
Adewyn  
Group Leader

alot of deep breaths and will to move... i get angry at myself and or frustrated and that sually gave me enough to get up and get moving.. and when i was tired and still having to do things before i laid back down or sit again.. i would say only a few more minute or a few more steps.. make sure you have everything you need till the next time you need to muster the energy to get up....

05/15/2012 06:51 PM
VH72
VH72  

I can relate to that i use my elbos my hands and my right leg left leg out of servic TKR its hard and painfull but you got to find something to help you stand from my neck to my hips OSTRISARITIST from TRAMA dont worry i cant spell to go lost that i took a test back in 77 to go to school test said all i have is pictoral reasonin still got that copy of test today.NEVER GIVE UP OK

05/15/2012 08:41 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

I remember at Christmas time, I laid down on the floor to water our Christmas tree. When I finished, I realized I was laying in the middle of the floor, and could not get up. I had to scoot my chubby self across the floor to get to the couch, so I could pull myself back up...slowly...painfully and slowly.

Can you get up easier if you have a piece of furniture or something to help? If you can, take it very slow, and crawl up on one knee, then foot or however you can at a time. HUGS

05/16/2012 05:41 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I agree on getting something to help "pull" yourself up. You can get bars for the bathroom and place an end table or nightstand or something by the bed. When getting up out of bed, stretch first and then move around in the bed a little. That may help get some blood flowing. Also if you'll roll to your side, then push yourself up to sitting, then push to standing it's easier than trying to do it solely using the ab and back muscles.

05/16/2012 05:17 PM
Auntie3285
Auntie3285  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I am the same way after riding in a car also ~~~ I can NEVER ride a full hour without having problems standing and starting to walk after riding more and 1/2 hour or so.

It s crazy that we think we should be able to ""control"" our body movements but certainly not in these mentioned instances.

Ahhhh, life with Fibro ~~~~ Wink

Marilyn

05/16/2012 06:57 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

I spend most of my day in an office chair in front of the computer. Even if I'm not playing my games, or browsing these forums, I'm watching a movie or something while I spin. I do almost everything from this chair.

But if I've been in it a while, say a whole movie, and then get up to get a drink, go to the bathroom, etc.... I have trouble getting up, and am so stiff, that sometimes I have to have the hubby give me his arm to steady myself for the first few steps til I get "broke loose." It's like a rusty hinge... doesn't want to move at first, but once you break it free, it moves a little better.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved