MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/12/2012 08:02 AM

Sleep study results

hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Well I'm done. I'm in the middle of changing cycles do my nights alternate now. I did get a couple rem cycles and a few deep sleeps but not normal. I had numerous breath holding periods but no major apnea. I did have some RLS episodes but I didn't think last night a bad leg night. They were calm before bed. I'm on a med for the RLS as needed and doing sleep diaries. Apparently my test was decent(though not normal) yet I'm still very sleepy. Oh the fun. My med is a Parkinson's med. my official dx is intermittent restless leg syndrome.

05/12/2012 08:57 AM
broken
broken  
Group Leader

you know when I had my sleep study done,I kind of thought it was crap,I know I had rls during the night...but I was told nothing... But I woke up a few times becuase of it,and the use of sleeping pill always threw me.. so they are saying the apneia is not enough to worry about?

05/12/2012 11:30 AM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

The apnea is minor. I'm strange in that it's different every night. So who knows what tonight will bring.

05/12/2012 02:24 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

What parkison's med did they put you on? Sinemet (generic is carbidopa/levadopa)?

I have severe RLS. I even get the crawly/crampy feeling in the middle of the day. It never really goes away, tho it's low enough I can tolerate it most days. Would never, EVER sleep if I had to do without the leg meds.

05/12/2012 03:59 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

Yep. That's the med. haven't tried it obviously. I'm supposed to take it on my bad leg nights.

05/12/2012 04:02 PM
Kerryjess
Kerryjess  

They gave me Ropinirole for the RLS which I think is an anti- epileptic drug. I didn't like the side effects so gradually came off it last year. My RLS seems to have quietened down a good bit (hope I don't speak too soon, lol!) I don't get the crawly sensations during the day now, but it definitely interrupts my sleep.

Who knows- maybe the meds did more good than I thought!

Hope you get some relief from this horrible thing. Xo

05/12/2012 04:52 PM
hatbox121
hatbox121  
Group Leader

I just hate that I had an in between night while there. I'm one extreme or the other with the transition being a toss up and smash up of the two.

05/12/2012 08:26 PM
mabri
mabri  
VIP Member

Hatbox,

That's the problem with the sleep studies. I had one about 2 years ago, and although i was having terrible horrible RLS, no problems on the night I went for the study..They need to watch you for more than one night I believe...Hope they can figure out something for you.

Ropinole is what they give to my step mom for her Parkinson's. It doesn't help her though..they are gonna try something else.

Just a thought...I had the worst RLS for many years, many nights I would cry because I couldn't get to sleep because of it. When all this fun first started I was anemic. My dr told me to take iron pills cuz that was one of the causes of RLS, low iron. I still have it at times, but it is nowhere near what it was before...Just thought I would share, and hope maybe it will help someone. HUGS

05/12/2012 10:03 PM
MoiraWolf
MoiraWolf  

Ropinole is generic for Requip. Hubbs takes that one, but I'm allergic. Took it once and wound up in the hospital having some shots, my airway started to close off! But it works well for him.

I originally took Sinemet too. I kept having to increase the dosage gradually over several years as my body got used to it, it's called augmentation, where it takes more and more to have the same effect. Then I tried Requip, then was put in Mirapex. I took it several months, but I've never in my life thrown up more than when I took that stuff. Horrible, horrible stuff.

Then I was put on Klonipin, but I was still driving trucks at the time and Klonipin is a controlled substance and illegal for a truck driver to use. So I was put on Gabapentin, which is what I'm still taking. Although the Rheumy cut down my bedtime does and added Flexiril. The sleep tech Wednesday said I had some leg movement but not a lot. Which my original study showed me having arousals every 3.5 minutes, or over 250 times a night. Not much rest that way!

I have severe RLS. Without meds to calm my legs, I literally would never, ever fall asleep.

05/13/2012 03:20 AM
Bananers

Mabri I agree with you about the sleep study. The 9 days before my sleep study were particularly bad in the insomnia category...so the night that I had the sleep study done, I actually slept better than I normally do. Grin

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved